Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Simple is not the word I would use to describe building of a harness. It takes a lot of understanding of what components are needed, which ones aren't, where the different inputs come from, etc. This is the second one we have done with my current tech so he had a few things he wanted to do differently on this one. My first 3FE conversion has a Cruiserparts harness in it and it's a mess. I would imagine it took a few hours to make. That truck has never run right. The ones we do for our conversions take at least 30-40 hours. I'm sure each time we do one, they'll come down a little in time but the work is tedious and slow.

Looks like the truck is happy with this fuel pump setup....no issues at all. Except one. The guy who owns the truck.

I filled it up on Wed night...took my beloved gas fill plug and put it on top of the truck to put in one of the 5 gallon jugs we had. I looked at the cap and said to myself, "that is a bad place to put that" and continued on with filling the truck. Well it was a bad place. I immediately took the truck out for a test drive on Wed night...driving around for a couple of miles. Parked the truck. Drove the LV on Thursday to run some local errands.....no issues but a faint smell of gas every so often which I thought was weird. No leaks visible though. I figured it might be the vents because we moved them around.

Decided to drive the truck home last night....it needed gas since it only had 5 gallons(plus we were going to set up the new fuel sender).....got to the station. Open the fuel door. No fuel plug. My heart sank. I was crushed. There was some guy that had followed me and wanted to know all about the truck but I was in a world of shock and could barely speak. I might have been crying for all I know. I was in shock. I checked in the truck(I could have sworn I put it somewhere for "safe keeping") but it was no where. I was devastated. Couldn't sleep last night.

Got to work in the AM, immediately set out on a walk to see if I could find it. To further add to the bad luck, the city installed new sod in the drainage ditches in the front of the property. Heavy trucks, workers, sod....no way was it going to be laying around somewhere obvious I figured. As I was leaving the shop, I mumbled to my main guy that I lost my gas cap and I was going to look for it. Walked a mile down the road, both sides, nothing. Got back to my office, head hung low, dejected, sad, questioning if I would even want the LV now(I am REALLY attached to that plug if you can't tell).......and there on my desk was my beloved filler plug...with a couple of new scratches but just as beautiful as ever. I couldn't believe my eyes. My guy found it 100 ft down the street, resting against a new piece of sod. Unbelievable.

He built me this. No more lost caps.

20180302_102923.jpg

Dog likes the LV. Dog does not care about fuel filler plug.

20180228_173401_HDR-01.jpeg

What a cool photo. Dogs and Cruisers.... Need we say more...

I did the same thing with a pair of 65 wiper arms. Changed out with a used pair until I could get the originals re-chromed. Set them on the running boards and was thinking the same thing....bad place to put those..then went for a drive later to never see both arms again:( dang it! At least you found your cap. It's funny how those little trinkets can be so important for some reason.

Hey Mark - where were you driving? I could use a set of those earlyi-ish wiper arms. My dog’s a good pointer, so maybe. Finders, keepers. :p

Sounds good to me, I like helping out. :) Trust me, like Chris I did an extensive drive But wasn't so lucky.

Holy s***. Your plug was almost lost.

Dude.

Tighten up.

Tighten up is right. I might have to start putting lanyards on everything!

Oh man your guy is the best!

45's and dogs! Look at that open mouth!

IMG_1684.jpg

Aw man.....that dog is living the life!

So we went from seeing a really cool FJ45LV in the shop daily(now we see it outside) to seeing this in the shop. Yikes. I used to own this truck. It was a beautiful one owner 78 with about 70k miles on it. Gorgeous patina, virtually no rust, no mods. Just a nice clean 1 owner 40. It got turned into this. Worst part.....other than the wheels.....a GM TPI motor. Of all the motors.....that one.

This is what happens when a hot rod/chopper shop does a 40. 18" XD wheels and a goofy motor. The cost of the work done(and not done!) is staggering. Shocking actually. And the owner will have a good sized bill from me. I think we can get it back on track....I hope we can get it back on track.

20180306_131821.jpg

Funny because everyone that sees it sighs......I'm talking EVERYONE. Even people who don't know a ton about motors. Like my mom. Ha.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll put a pic of it on here.....not sure if I should tarnish my thread with it though.

Last edited:
I had one in a Bronco buggy.

I loved the motor but a Chevy motor in a Ford based buggy made me and the Bronco guys nuts.

The motor was pimp. Buggy was pimp.

Just an odd combo

16A9693C-F619-46C1-BD17-3AA3E850FE14.jpeg
7D47224A-7F81-4EC8-BC03-884D34E36314.jpeg

Ok....I'm going to admit this even though it pains me to as I'm a die hard "Toyota motors belong in Toyotas" guy.....that damn truck with that motor is ripping fun to light them up in the dirt. I was howling with laughter today ripping that thing around the property. Maybe a 5.7 Tundra motor would be acceptable for me.....

Very cool Bronco wngrog.....that thing looks fun!

While it is true a TPI motor is pimp, the 40 series Land Cruiser ain’t nobody’s bitch!

TPI motor is dumb. It's not even polished out. And the smog pump is still on it. Come on....

20180307_094323.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom