Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got these on today....hate the way they are positioned. Need to work on getting them lower on the windshield. Almost hate to run them...I got used to not seeing them. Doubtful this old girl will see much rain in her golden years......might just take them off.

20180313_184930_HDR.jpg

And a glamour shot complete with dog's head hanging out rear driver's window. Ha.

Now with the sun setting later I get good shots at night and great early AM ones.

20180313_185754_HDR-01-01.jpeg

I use fancy ceramic coatings on my glass.....wipers aren't needed with them. Especially pathetic 50 year old Land Cruiser ones. Ha.

Some of these new coatings are incredible. I had my 79 series done with a ceramic sealant(not really a full ceramic coating) and the dirt/dried mud rinses right off....even after being on for a week. Hard to believe.

Wonder if ceramic could go on patina.......

I use fancy ceramic coatings on my glass.....wipers aren't needed with them. Especially pathetic 50 year old Land Cruiser ones. Ha.

Some of these new coatings are incredible. I had my 79 series done with a ceramic sealant(not really a full ceramic coating) and the dirt/dried mud rinses right off....even after being on for a week. Hard to believe.

Wonder if ceramic could go on patina.......

My local ceramic guru said yes but
He was going to have to sand the rust parts.

I passed. Went with the Boiled Linseed oil.

I put rainX on my 45 got caught in the rain and that s*** was worthless on my near vertical shield. I’ll grab some ceramic for that at least. Thanks for the tip.

RainX is old technology. The whole deal with the ceramic for the windshield is hand polishing it before you do it. I bought some kind of glass polish...works really well. My ceramic guy does a pretty long lasting finish on the windows. I play around with stuff I get on ebay on my personal cars.

I'm not overly worried about my paint on the LV...it's made it a long time. It will make it long past me I think. It's living the good life now anyways....no more lonely nights outside under a tarp. It's dry storage from here on out!

Had a customer stop by in his 62....I grabbed it and got a grandfather/father pic. I think that's how it would be....or would the 62 be a son?

20180316_184932_HDR-01.jpeg

Would love to have a 55 around to play with. Way way back when I was in Northern Virginia, there was a guy with a 55 called "The Jungle Bus"...grey/white and totally bad ass. This was in the super early days of the Capital Area Cruisers or whatever it was called. The guy that owned it was hardcore.....remember riding it one time and taking in everything.....so different from the 40s I was familiar with.

So today was a big day.....took the wagon to Sebring to take in some of the 12 Hour race. About 220 miles round trip.....truck did pretty well but there are some issues that will need addressing....which is exactly why I wanted to drive it. Easy country drive doing about 60-65 for good extended periods.

Exhaust heats up and touches the rear crossmember behind the transfer. Not a huge deal...I was planning on adding a flex joint to the exhaust at some point.

For you 3FE guys....make SURE you address the oil galley plug that is on the head(around cyl number 4). Plenty of stuff on Mud about it. I don't remember if we did the fix on this motor or not but it has a nice little leak coming from it that got all over everything on the right side of the motor. Will address it on Monday to see what is going on. I know we did my pickup's 3FE but I'm thinking we missed it on this one. It's a very critical fix that needs to be done.

Pretty sure it was the only LV at Sebring today....
20180317_150944_HDR.jpg
20180317_151213.jpg

Been a while since an update....the shop has been really busy so not much playing. LV has a pretty solid oil leak behind the motor. I don't think it's a rear main either(new OEM rear main in truck). I think it's the threaded in oil galley plug or the rear plug for the cam. Seems like the leak is due to constant high oil pressure.....it was really leaking after the Sebring drive but doesn't leak around town. We'll tear it apart again and see what we have.

Had some cool flooring around for my RV project.....used it for fancy floor mats. Kind of a metallic silver/black nylon woven pattern. Like I said. Fancy.

20180327_171337.jpg
20180327_171348.jpg

20180313_185754_HDR-01-01-01.jpeg

I don't think I'll do anything else to the floors....pretty happy with the setup. Probably not worth doing anything else either. I use the Lizard Skin for sound deadening primarily but I do think the Lizard Skin ceramic insulation made a world of difference on the tunnel....along with my Chinese reflective gold foil. Ha.

I used the normal combo of Lizard Skin to control heat and sound on my 79 Series build along with Dynamat and Dynapad(I think we used 3/4" or 1"). That truck is really solid and quiet. Dynopad is really impressive. Made a HUGE difference on that truck. I have a big chunk of the Dynaliner under the hood of the 79 series and it cut engine noise at least 75% if not more. Shocking actually and it can handle under hood heat. Of course you can get quite a few lower priced alternatives to the Dyna products but the Dyna stuff really is the best in my opinion.....I have used a lot of various types. Unfortunately, on the LV, I wanted to see the floors...on my 79, they're covered with a vinyl floor cover. Not a big deal to have all that stuff under it...out of sight out of mind. Not so in the LV.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest thing we did on this truck is we sealed up every hole in the firewall. We taped them from the backside when we sprayed in the Lizard Skin and Raptor...once we let those set up, we took off the tape and had really nice 'plugs'. I'm not sure I've ever had a firewall that was as tight as my LVs....they always seem to have empty screw holes, missing plugs or random holes somewhere that let in both hot air and noise. That's a big deal.

On that Icon D200 we store, the floor mats are incredible. They are some kind of high end carpet....Rolls Royce if I recall....they are backed with rubber so they don't slide around. But....in between those 2 layers, they inserted dynomat. Exceptionally heavy but they stay put and I know they dampen sound. Brilliant idea. I stole the idea and put dynomat on the back of my fancy new mats in the LV. Ha.

Last edited:
Here's my 79 series...Dynaliner under the hood(want to say 1/2").....Dynapad on the floors where the floor mats went(1" maybe). Dynapad has a layer of Dynamat on the bottom side with a thick layer of foam....non adhesive backed. Really cool. The Dynaliner is more of a closed cell fully adhesive mat. It's been under the hood for 17k miles and it looks like it did the day I installed it. Neat stuff. The Dynaliner is supposedly excellent for door panel vapor barriers. I seem to recall using that on an 80 series. The doors felt like vault doors.

PA242972.jpg
PA243013.jpg

Been a while since I've posted anything about the LV.....mainly because there isn't much to post. Ha. Truck is still down for the count....trans is out and needs to go back in. That will happen this week. Doesn't mean I don't have some cool pics.....

This little 40 was picked up on Friday.....what a cool truck. Customer dropped off a 911 that we will be swapping an LS motor in. Cool project. The customer was thrilled with his 40. Has a rather large collection with some cool stuff....says the 40 will be his favorite. Sad to see it go...it was one of the better driving trucks I've been in.

20180413_095616.jpg

Plenty of patina for everyone.....

P4131002-01.jpeg

Made a few changes/updates while we have the old girl apart.....since the battery on this truck is buried pretty far down, I had the guys install a remote positive battery post just in case we need it. We used existing holes and made a little bracket to support it...so much time in bracketry on these builds. One of my favorite parts I think....
20180412_135612.jpg

We might have helped that one along a tad. That truck was unusual....the interior was completely painted in dark brown latex paint. We got all of that off with a lot of work. The orange was a little more challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom