Mudders, meet Elsie, my new pig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Her name is Elsie and she is a 1972 model. A big thanks to 77mustard40 for telling me about this (it's his neighbor 2 doors down, and this was a total word of mouth sale).

I transferred it over today with the PO at the DMV and will go pick it up Saturday. He is the original owner and man, did that title look ancient! I didnt know what they would look like. It needs some TLC, but it is 95% rust free, and more importantly, rust free where it counts. 49K on it and I am pretty sure it's original mileage as he didnt drive it much.

I am not parting this one, it's too nice and too rare. It needs some engine work, some tires and I will put some discs on the front and ensure the brake system works good. Then the plan is to drive it and fix her up over time.

It has what I believe is an aftermarket AC on top. It doesn't work so I will probably replace that with a more aerodynamic unit. I need cold air throughout the entire truck, not just the front and I have heard that Vintage Air wont cut it.

The bottom photo shows what she looked like when I saw her last Saturday. The deeper blue is from some elbow grease and rubbing compound. I will put a buffer to it and give her more shine.

Any recommendations are welcome. Here she is.

you may wanna fix that tire;p, also, front knuckle swap with disk brake truck. Good starting point. I have seen that pig around, the condenser gave it away. Plans?

Welcome

Welcome to the Pen.

You’ll find the group here to be very supportive, knowledgeable, and generous when it comes to needing anything. Keep us up to date on your new journey. Don’t be afraid to ask for help – we all share.

Congratulations! Have Fun! :cheers:

Glad to have you in the pen

Congrats!!!!!!!! Goes nicely (and rounds out) your collection of Toyos------drive the piss out it:cheers:

Thanks. Got it back to the homestead today. First order is to get a side cover gasket and some RTV, then drop the pan and side cover and manually crank it to see where a knock is coming from. 77mustard40 said it started and ran fine for 15 minutes before a banging started, so I need to see where that is coming from. He said it was like something broke off and it wasn't happening all the time, just intermittently.

Now that the tears have dried I will toss some of my pictures over the last few months into the foray. Would love to have a pig and this was too good to be true, just don't have an open stall to take another ongoing project. So happy for you JD, glad one of the WALCS crew could take her in. Looking forward to the day she shows up for the first Friday beer at Billy's.

Here's a couple of me favorite photos from the effort to bring her out of the field.

image-1080585120.jpg

Love at first sight

image-3915416249.jpg

PO steering her home

image-2183900808.jpg

Thanks Pighead for the pic and pull, she has two mirrors. MUD folks are great.

image-4165855542.jpg

They are lining up for the start

image-649001829.jpg

And my apprentice who helps me every minute when I'm wrenching.
image-1080585120.jpg
image-3915416249.jpg
image-2183900808.jpg
image-4165855542.jpg
image-649001829.jpg

Update for today- she is running! I drove it around the property/neighborhood today. Next up, some tires and adding front discs from one of the 60 part trucks I have

Big thanks for romegadave for providing me with some rear weatherstripping. Before I can install, I need to troubleshoot why my rear window wont go down. I am waiting for the right opportunity to pay that forward.

I did have a PS door handle that wouldn't close correctly. Ended up fixing that with some WD40 and adjusting the catch. Now the door opens and closes with ease.

Next up is getting the rims blasted and powdercoated so I can get some good rubber on there. I will be dropping them off with baktash of EMSPowered later this week for them to do some magic. You can see 40 years of love on them. Actually, they are not as bad as I expected, and are very solid. Question- what is the rubber belt on the inside of the rims?

Big thanks for romegadave for providing me with some rear weatherstripping. Before I can install, I need to troubleshoot why my rear window wont go down. I am waiting for the right opportunity to pay that forward.

does the motor make a sound? if so, gear, if not, safety switch

Question- what is the rubber belt on the inside of the rims?

that was to keep the rivets from nicking the innertubes

Very cool Jason...I wanted to buy that thing, but no time and no space. I'm sure I'll be green with envy as you transform it.

I am looking into why my rear window wont go down. No noise when I turn the key, so I am suspecting the safety switch. The window is up, how can I bypass this? If it needs to be replaced, I need to get the tailgate open first :)

I am looking into why my rear window wont go down. No noise when I turn the key, so I am suspecting the safety switch. The window is up, how can I bypass this? If it needs to be replaced, I need to get the tailgate open first :)

remove the inner panel. on the bar that the glass sits in (and inconveniently located behind the two uprights), you'll just barely feel two small "L" tabs sticking out (one on each side), tap them out with a screwdriver and you can then slide the glass and channel down into the tailgate

remove the inner panel. on the bar that the glass sits in (and inconveniently located behind the two uprights), you'll just barely feel two small "L" tabs sticking out (one on each side), tap them out with a screwdriver and you can then slide the glass and channel down into the tailgate

Wow, not the easiest to get to as I lay on my back looking up at the tabs. I was abel to remove the tabs but the window didnt come down. Do I have to manually /forcibly "massage" the regulator to bring it down?

L tabs removed

Looking towards the DS where the L tabs were removed from, the smaller channel above the C-channel

oops, forgot to tell ya to slide the little lower channels off (pull down slightly to clear where the tabs interlocked and slide towards the center to clear a pin that they fit onto

sorry, working a 17 hour shift...little loopy right now :eek:

I think that was officially the most rust I've ever had to remove off of wheels to prep for powder coating. The end result came out pretty good. We did a base coat of single stage chrome with a top coat of 95% gloss clear. End result is a nice gray with a deep gloss.
IMAG2987.jpg
IMAG2986.jpg
IMAG3174.jpg

I think that was officially the most rust I've ever had to remove off of wheels to prep for powder coating. The end result came out pretty good. We did a base coat of single stage chrome with a top coat of 95% gloss clear. End result is a nice gray with a deep gloss.

Wow! Spectacular result. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom