Builds Mr Wilson’s 89 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would have preferred to go a little bit bigger, but these MTs are just too good a deal to pass up.

Fenders are in, so I get to go see how lucky I got with fender roulette.

1C66722F-2157-400F-808F-923C39E4080C.jpeg

Yeah, buddy hammered them out from the back with a 2 lb sledge handle. I was trying REALLY HARD not to lose it on him.

RW06BjM.jpg

I personally would've lost it on them if I saw some jacka** doing that to my rig.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. That’s the best I can say about the fenders showing up correct!

Pure quality here:

1F8434CA-E9CD-4F05-BB1F-1531C1191A75.jpeg

I’m not sure about the shifter cover. It was probably just coincidence, but I would prefer to be the one to break things on my vehicles. The guy said “oh, I thought they were bolt on center caps” in reference to the hubs. The resemblance is striking...

View attachment 1885876

View attachment 1885877
I have a couple of spare Tacoma centre caps you can have. I will just wreck them. They look like top left picture. Plastic.

Speaking of center caps, I found these in my garage. These are for the 15" SR5 rims that were on my truck when it was new. Make an offer if interested, I don't want the hassle and risk of eBay.

IMG_20181216_144227.jpg

IMG_20181216_144242.jpg

I have a couple of spare Tacoma centre caps you can have. I will just wreck them. They look like top left picture. Plastic.

Which Taco wheels are they from? I’ll take them if they fit. Thanks!

KLF- I have a set of those too. Still attached to the factory 15” wheels. If you get a rush of folks wanting those, let me know!

Here's some pictures of the wheels in question on the truck back in 02.

izBCxCoV-BcrJPBg6hSNvsDCeJ69dsBEEY5MoXIYHlx9Gov5TgKLnbsK0BM9vVIVxPd5kML3oDidjG4=w967-h610

gMghtJuL69Kqmnw_UKiC_v2KImgR-aH-lXW-t3b3vzh_vSMpsYQ04LX2ZRHHswJNy60SGSj_qzKKSzE=w967-h610

Amazon just got more of my money. I ordered a JVC stereo with CD, Bluetooth, iPhone compatibility and Sirius satellite for $72 and $40 got me a pair each of 4” and 5.25” Blaupunkt waterproof speakers. The factory am/fm radio is circling the drain... $112 for an complete new sound system with Bluetooth for the phone will be awesome. Now I just need some spare time to install parts! I’m also trying to figure out a full length bikini or safari top in time for summer. A full soft top would be ideal, but would cost as much as I have in this whole truck so far. If anyone sees one come up for sale used, please let me know!

Amazon just got more of my money. I ordered a JVC stereo with CD, Bluetooth, iPhone compatibility and Sirius satellite for $72 and $40 got me a pair each of 4” and 5.25” Blaupunkt waterproof speakers. The factory am/fm radio is circling the drain... $112 for an complete new sound system with Bluetooth for the phone will be awesome. Now I just need some spare time to install parts! I’m also trying to figure out a full length bikini or safari top in time for summer. A full soft top would be ideal, but would cost as much as I have in this whole truck so far. If anyone sees one come up for sale used, please let me know!

My buddy has the same JVC stereo I think you just bought and I have a JVC in my Cherokee - they're not great stereos. I've had mine for a couple months and it will randomly turn the volume down to zero and his lights are flickering on his head unit. Can't speak for how well he installed his but I used an adapter and soldered the wires then heatshrinked so the connection is tight and sealed.

For $20 more you can get the same stereo or maybe go with a Kenwood. I've always used Kenwood and Alpine and been happy, but between my new JVC and my roommates they just feel cheap and don't seem to hold up as well. On the flip side I've been super happy with the sound quality and functionality of the Alpine UTE-73BT I installed in the 87.

Just my .02!

For $20 more you can get the same stereo or maybe go with a Kenwood. I've always used Kenwood ...

I will second this. I've owned nothing but Kenwoods in my trucks. They just work, and there are some rather inexpensive options out there. At some point I will upgrade.

Well, I have a JVC in my camper with DVD etc and it’s been flawless. I don’t think I can stop or change the order as of now, so I guess I’ll see how it goes.

Edit: I just realized I ordered the wrong version and there is no CD player. That kind of sucks, but in fact it will save me from having all my CDs stolen when the top is off:doh:

Last edited:
Well, I have a JVC in my camper with DVD etc and it’s been flawless. I don’t think I can stop or change the order as of now, so I guess I’ll see how it goes.

Edit: I just realized I ordered the wrong version and there is no CD player. That kind of sucks, but in fact it will save me from having all my CDs stolen when the top is off:doh:

Yeah it's hard to find a cheap stereo with a CD player anymore it seems. My Alpine head unit doesn't have one either - and I was totally okay with that! With spotify I got all the CD's I'd ever want.

I quit using a cd player in my offroad rig around 2000. After killing two within a couple months, ive never looked back.

Yeah it's hard to find a cheap stereo with a CD player anymore it seems. My Alpine head unit doesn't have one either - and I was totally okay with that! With spotify I got all the CD's I'd ever want.

My 2014 Dodge 3500 doesn’t have CD either, but my Land Cruiser does. I’ll have to kick it oldschool in the 100. I listen to satellite most of the time anyway. I just can’t believe I missed that. Does Spotify use data from your phone? I’m in the mountains a lot so that’s not always reliable.

I quit using a cd player in my offroad rig around 2000. After killing two within a couple months, ive never looked back.

Ahhh. Bringing back PTSD from going off-roading and hearing the CD skip every time you hit a bump.

My 2014 Dodge 3500 doesn’t have CD either, but my Land Cruiser does. I’ll have to kick it oldschool in the 100. I listen to satellite most of the time anyway. I just can’t believe I missed that. Does Spotify use data from your phone? I’m in the mountains a lot so that’s not always reliable.

Spotify does use data, and I do pay like $5 a month because I used to be a student. It's nice because you can make your own playlists and listen to all the music you want. Mine has been reliable even when I don't have service because you can "download" all the songs for no data playback. I've been using spotify for 5+ years and have always been happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom