Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After a couple days of driving, I can feel the bump stops going over even the smallest bumps in the road.

This is how much uptravel I'm seeing with road use and *spirited* driving. Bumpstop shaft has black on it, and the shock shaft has the little o-ring that indicates the shock compression. This is going over roads with bumps big enough to bottom out my suspension with the old setup. I'm going to pull out one insert and space the bumpstop up an inch (internally) to give the spring some movement before the bumpstop. We'll see how that goes.

I think I'm going to love the fact that I can adjust how the bumpstop behaves :D

1567778740600.png

I looked back two pages but didn't find the name of these bump stops you're using. They look interesting and the custom adjustability is a major plus. Where ja' get em'?

Good results. Do you think the improved performance is more due to the springs or shocks? And how are your rear shocks holding up?

I looked back two pages but didn't find the name of these bump stops you're using. They look interesting and the custom adjustability is a major plus. Where ja' get em'?

That's probably because I bought these bump stops a year and a half ago :lol: They're called daystar universal stinger bump stops.

amazon.com/gp/product/B003BXQKN4/

Good results. Do you think the improved performance is more due to the springs or shocks? And how are your rear shocks holding up?

Hard to tell if it's because of the springs because the bumpstops are set a bit too aggressive. More body control seems to be because of the shocks.

As for the rear shocks, hard to tell. Need to get the front bumps adjusted so I can feel the suspension better. I'll re-evaluate after I get the front dialed.

Following along, bumpstops are next on the list. Not sure if I’ll go your route or with the Sumo springs. As of now my 60 drives so nice it’s on the back burner.

Following along, bumpstops are next on the list. Not sure if I’ll go your route or with the Sumo springs. As of now my 60 drives so nice it’s on the back burner.

That's the same position I've been in for the past 5 years. I think that running without bumpstops in the front caused my front springs to die a premature death. Might want to move that up on the list.

That's the same position I've been in for the past 5 years. I think that running without bumpstops in the front caused my front springs to die a premature death. Might want to move that up on the list.
What shocks were you running before and were they shot? These 7100s are nice

Springs died way before the shocks did. They died from over-inversion.

This is how easy it is to reconfigure the bump stops.

Step 1, jack it up
IMG_20190907_114533.jpg

Step 2, slide out bumps, take them apart
IMG_20190907_114632.jpg

Step 3, reconfigure. Added a spacer to restrict travel, keep one firm insert
IMG_20190907_114853.jpg

Step 4, slide them back in, tighten the cans, done!
IMG_20190907_171331.jpg

I think this will work well. I'll take her for a test drive tomorrow.

Cowl resealing party today with @nutop to reduce water intrusion. Thanks JD, had a ball today!

IMG_20190908_153825.jpg

I spy a rusty door!

Adjusted bumpstops seem to be performing well. Over the past couple of days I get smoother ride over normal bumps and whatnot, but the bumps still prevent the shocks from bottoming out. You can see via the bumpstop shaft that it compresses about halfway, which is perfect.

1568123276607.png

I'm happy, she's happy.

1568123302578.png

Happened to fill up at the same place I first put diesel in the truck after the conversion ~6.5 years ago. Not often on that side of town anymore. Thought that was neat.

Lighting is obviously different, but it seems to show that the paint has faded a good amount over that time.

Jan 17 2013
1568123421410.png

Sept 9 2019
1568123376828.png

Man, that rust is hungry.

I know it. DS door and tailgate were rust free when they were installed in 2011. Weird part is that the current door (left door in below pic from 2011) is very similarly rusted to the original door. Perhaps this is caused by bad weatherstripping? Will make sure to change the weatherstripping when I get *another* new door.

1568131815465.png

What’s up with the orange peel texture on the 60?

It's Raptor Liner...

Time for some fresh paint. I liked it more when it used to be all white :p

Got some tubing on the front end finally. Bought my old (2009) bumper back Saturday and cut up the tubing to fit my needs.

Who remembers Solid Rock OffRoad?

I really liked the look of the bumper when I owned it, and had planned to replicate it on my truck with new tubing. Couldn't just bolt it on because of the welded winch plate arrangement I now have. Got a great deal on buying the bumper back instead of the original measurements I intended to grab, and put it to use.

IMG_20190914_103121.jpg

IMG_20190914_132540.jpg

MVIMG_20190914_160151.jpg

IMG_20190914_170530.jpg

New windshield, new headlight doors, new bumper, new springs, new shocks, and new bumpstops. She's received a lot of love lately!

IMG_20190914_180351.jpg

I am hoping Moonshine will be at Logan's Run. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom