Moab Pre run 2017. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What GPS program are you guys running for these files? I bought the FunTreks card for a Garmin last year, but I'd rather have a more robust app on my iphone.

I was introduced to this app by @BTUMAN last year. Its called "MotionX-GPS". You can record your own tracks and also import GPX files by email them to your iphone. To download gpx files into the app just hold the file and select to open with "MotionX-GPS" and then import.

Word. It's just one mega consolidation gpx I made for all the gpx files I collected for Utah. I might make another for Colorado trails too.

I use them with Backcountry Navigator on my Galaxy Tab. It's invaluable on the trail.

Please do the Colorado too. I lost all my tracks due iphone failure. I had no backup. I bought a new iphone 7+ last week so I am trying to download as much as I can before the trip.

Please do the Colorado too. I lost all my tracks due iphone failure. I had no backup. I bought a new iphone 7+ last week so I am trying to download as much as I can before the trip.

Will do.

I have a membership for Traildamage.com and there are over 350 Colorado trails. I emailed the site to see if I can get them all at once instead of clicking through the maps 350+ times. I will if I have to though.

Hema has some of the trails too. I used that last year and it was good

Have used Motion-X for years, will start pulling down maps this weekend. Also have Gaia, which is a bit more robust but I always end up cming back to Motion-X

I use iPhone and iPad. I like ViewRanger and Earthmate. Earthmate is the app that came from Delorme (along with their inReach device) and is now part of Garmin (who acquired Delorme.) ViewRanger is a new one that was developed in the UK. Though it was originally built for hiking, the have a category for "Off Road and Overlanding" which shows the popularity of those activities and that they get it. ViewRanger allows you to download various maps - some free, some you need to pay for. Earthmate is based on Delorme's own maps (which are pretty good.) What I like about Earthmate is how the amount of detail is increased or decreased as you zoom in. Both allow you to create routes, record/save tracks (including elevation) and allow you to import GPX routes/tracks. And both allow you to create/modify routes on their web page (larger screen) then "sync" to your devices. I have all of the FunTreks routes that I am interested in loaded into both apps. I found ViewRanger (web page, on my Mac) easier to use to modify the Onion Creek/Fisher Towers GPX track from Funtreks to eliminate the Fisher Towers section and to extend the Onion Creek portion to go a lot further. Then I exported the corresponding GPX out of ViewRanger and imported it onto my Delorme web page which then sync'd do my iPad and iPhone.

One more important thing is that with Delorme you can easily download nearly all of the western US for offline use. You can practically do it by state. I have the Delorme maps for CO, UT, NM, AZ, WY, MT, OR and WA downloaded on my iPad. View Ranger, like Gaia and others don't seem to let you download larger sections.

ViewRanger on the other hand as interesting functionality for route-following (using your camera) and for identifying things on the horizon or even landmarks like lakes - again using your camera. I have not had much opportunity to play with these but may this weekend.

You need an inReach subscription to use Earthmate.

Bottom line, I ignore the built in Nav System! ;)

I've been using Gaia GPS with an iPad and Bad Elf GPS. It works out okay but managing maps/downloads is tedious.

I've been using Gaia GPS with an iPad and Bad Elf GPS. It works out okay but managing maps/downloads is tedious.

That's why I like Earthmate - a lot. But it does require the inReach subscription. I had an inReach anyway as I like the security of it off road. So a no brainer for me. ViewRanger also is a bit of a challenge managing maps/downloads. I suspect that's true with most of the apps they rely on 3rd party (USGS, etc) for their maps. I don't know if they are vectorized so you need to download maps of differing detail.

Here are a couple hundred individual Colorado GPXs

Colorado Individual GPX.zip

And here's all of those merged in one single GPX

Colorado.gpx

Probably not a "complete" collection of every Colorado GPX out there but most of the common trails are there.

We should arrive in Moab by Saturday night and be ready to hit trails Sunday the 30th. :)

Do we have a meeting place or time yet?

So far we will have 5 rigs on Sunday, 8 on Monday, and 9 on Tuesday. We have not finalized the trail runs yet. We will be meeting at local restaurant for food/drinks on Saturday evening to discuss the trails. Last year we met at The Blu Pig. We can meet there again say around 6pm. Their address is 811 S Main St, Moab, UT 84532

Lineup every morning will be at 8am Gearheads parking lot, 471 S Main St, Moab.

Tentative Trail runs:
Sunday: Fins and Things and lunch in town and maybe another trail in the afternoon. [Expect scrapes on bumper and sliders]
Monday: Hell's Revenge (AM) and lunch in town and then Top of the World (PM) [Expect scrapes on bumper , sliders, rear diff, rear LCA, rear shock mounts and exhaust resonator/tip]
Tuesday: Onion Creek (AM) and lunch in town and maybe another trail TBD in the afternoon. [Probably nothing]

Feel free to provide feedback and trail recommendation.

Last edited:
Some quick feedback on the itinerary:

* If possible, I'd love to do Onion Creek on Sunday or Monday while my wife is still in town. Not a huge deal if that doesn't work for folks -- we'd probably just run it on our own on Saturday.

On a side note, if anyone is in town on Saturday afternoon we're planning on doing Shafer Trail + Potash Rd + Long Canyon in the afternoon. My parents and brother will be in town that day we wanted to take them on something stunning yet easy for their rental jeep. There are no firm plans, yet, but shoot me a PM if you want me to loop you in.

Tentative Trail runs:
Monday: Hell's Revenge (AM) and lunch in town and then Top of the World (PM) [Expect scrapes on bumper , sliders, rear diff, rear LCA and rear shock mounts]

Add exhaust tip to that list ;) (this pic is coming down TOTW just before my exhaust tip changed shape)

IMG_2777.JPG

* If possible, I'd love to do Onion Creek on Sunday or Monday while my wife is still in town. Not a huge deal if that doesn't work for folks -- we'd probably just run it on our own on Saturday.

On a side note, if anyone is in town on Saturday afternoon we're planning on doing Shafer Trail + Potash Rd + Long Canyon in the afternoon. My parents and brother will be in town that day we wanted to take them on something stunning yet easy for their rental jeep. There are no firm plans, yet, but shoot me a PM if you want me to loop you in.
You must have adventurous parents. Shafer from top to bottom is a bit of a thrill to say the least.

What time are you thinking? If it's in the afternoon I might tag along. Not sure what time I'll roll into Moab.

We will be driving from Salt Lake City with @dc916cruiser and hoping to arrive by afternoon. We may be able to join on Saturday afternoon.

I'm still a maybe on this, waiting on work to confirm some things still =/

Since I'm not in to the harder trails, I wouldn't mind doing Onion Creek a couple of times. Not sure yet what day I am driving out but I fully expect to be there no later than Sunday night so I could do something with you on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom