Moab disaster turned best experience. Grandpas Garage!!!! BUY THE BRACKET! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every few years one of these threads pop up and we sell a whole bunch of FK27's :D

Kelly, as I told you in Moab. It's cheap insurance :D

How's the install on these? Easy like end links/sliders or do you have to remove the torsion bars?

Will these brackets work on a 470 with AHC? Is that part only needed for TLC's that use true spring/shock suspension?

How's the install on these? Easy like end links/sliders or do you have to remove the torsion bars?

You do need to remove the torsion bars to install. It's a ~1 hr job here in our shop fwiw.

Will these brackets work on a 470 with AHC? Is that part only needed for TLC's that use true spring/shock suspension?

They will work with any 100/470 that has a torsion bar :D

We camped right next to you and were wondering why your LC had that lean going on. Now that I know (and sorry you learned the hard way), I'll be checking mine this afternoon. I managed to sheer a sway bar bolt on Top of The World so I'll be underneath my truck anyhow.

Sucks this happened on the trails, awesome you got it fixed before headed home.

I'm going to give myself a little pat on the back for having these installed preemptively with my TD kit. I haven't seen the cracking before this thread, figured maybe they were overkill.

They will work with any 100/470 that has a torsion bar :D

Lol. I figured my question was dumb. Just didn’t know since the LX has lighter duty TB’s if it was needed. Guess I will be ordering some for mine.

First of all, if you dont read this whole tread that's fine, but buy this stinkin bracket and don't wait. Cruiser Outfitters has it and it's pretty cheap. Look on the suspension page on their website.

OME 100 Series Front Torsion Bar Reinforcement Bracket (sold as pair)
Part# OME FK27

While attending Cruise Moab with my wife and 6yr old girl, on our first trail (Fins & Things) and on day 1, we broke the 100. While creeping down the steepest section of that trail, at the bottom, when I compressed the drivers front suspension, I heard a loud POP. At first, I thought that I had just hit my bumper but then I heard my tire rubbing on the inner fender plastic. As we headed towards the lunch break location, I felt as if the vehicle were leaning to the left. After I stopped and looked at it, I noticed the tire was tucked up in the fender, it looked like a "low rider", not cool in this situation.

The pressure of the torsion bar bracket or the inner bolt broke off the thin section of the lower control arm. At that point, I was riding on my bump stop. After much help from other generous attendees, we decided to hobble down a "short cut" and get out on the main road, if possible. It worked! we made it with the assistance of a couple wing men and drove into camp solo after that. View attachment 1970108

I need a welder, grinder, tools, and some steel..... :hmm: and.... a lot more of :hmm:. I had some help from others offering phone numbers and suggestions. Finally I ran into Woody and he said that he had the place for me to go. The next morning, I called Grandpas Garage and he said to head over. View attachment 1970109

Well, let me tell you I was disappointed that we were not on Hell's Revenge trail this day, but this experience would turn out to be much better. Grandpas Garage has every tool you need to fix your broken down vehicle! Best part, it only costs the price of paying forward the generosity that he offers you, and anyone that needs help. There is no mechanic on site, just the shop and tools, but that is a savior if you are mechanically inclined. He had some scrap metal with the exact size hole and thickness of steel I needed! I cut the old chunk of ripped metal off the control arm, fabricated a new piece, checked the alignment of the bolt and Boom!View attachment 1970116

All welded up nicely, and ready to assemble.
View attachment 1970121
View attachment 1970122

Turns out, a lot of people I spoke with did not know of this guy and his garage. He is a life saver, a modern hero! Helping out people in these situations, while on family vacation is just outstanding and quite rare. If you are broke down in Moab, look up Grandpas Garage! Super cool guy and he is there to offer his shop to all that need need it.

I've had these brackets for years and never got to instal them, this is a good reminder.

Oh and also, must you always break something on your trips? LOL.....

I've had these brackets for years and never got to instal them, this is a good reminder.

Oh and also, must you always break something on your trips? LOL.....
Oh man. I really don't want to be the "high maintenance" guy anymore. I thought that was behind me. :bang:

Nice! The funny thing is that I haven’t ordered them yet:hmm: I am going to weld them on I think.

either that or Kurt to ship out one to you for this thread. ;)

I ordered mine from Kurt this morning, very courteous and professional. I work at a Jeep dealership, so I'll have one of the techs install these when I'm getting some other work done. So glad to have came across this thread.

Thanks for the heads up @kelly saad.
Sorry to see this happen to you but glad you made it back safe and sound.
Next time I'm in Moab, I'll be sure to check out Grandpa's Garage.

One impressive field repair on the broken ear too, very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom