Builds Mississippi Delta Beast - 1974 FJ-40 Rescue and Rehabilitation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Charliemurphy (great name)

The choke is all manual. Not sure what section of my ramble you are referring to but the City Racer carb will use the stock cable and if in this case (and on my Pig) if it’s a goner you can use a generic from the auto parts store.

If you hold your phone sideways you get my signature.

In there I’ve got 3 other builds with lots of DIY body panel fixes like this build.

There is more to come on the Delta Beast though. It just went to the spa for a motor rebuild and AFI fuel injection.

Stay tuned.

I'm very interested in how you mate the throttle cable to the 40 pedal, or whatever work around you find, as this will be relevant to my FJ55 AFI install.

That’s why we pay @FJ60Cam the big bucks.

@Charliemurphy (great name)

The choke is all manual. Not sure what section of my ramble you are referring to but the City Racer carb will use the stock cable and if in this case (and on my Pig) if it’s a goner you can use a generic from the auto parts store.

If you hold your phone sideways you get my signature.

In there I’ve got 3 other builds with lots of DIY body panel fixes like this build.

There is more to come on the Delta Beast though. It just went to the spa for a motor rebuild and AFI fuel injection.

Stay tuned.
@wngrg:
Yeah I'm a big fan of Charlie's true hollywood stories. Glad someone recognized the joke. :)
Anyhoo. I meant electric "fuel pump" ...not sure why I typed electric choke. Seemed to me an electric fuel pump would be more desirable and reduce flooding.

Operation Sloppy Thirds is underway.

The Delta Beast is going under the knife for a little Girth Enhancement Surgery.

Stay tuned...

So this truck has been passed around a few times, with seemingly everyone in the family (CLC club) getting a turn to work on the Delta Beast. If you remember back on Page 1, there were three Trojans left in the pack when it was found. Two of those have now been used :grinpimp:

When we last left her, she had been brought back from the dead and put back into service, getting a 13 page list of repairs and renovations along the way.

Once she was back in a condition to rack up the miles, it was discovered she had a drinking problem - she drank nearly as much oil as she did gas.

Symptoms:

-Major oil consumption
-Smoke & exhaust belches from oil cap & PCV if opened while engine running
-Oil pitch black w/exhaust soot

Did a compression test, half of the cylinders are 100 psi, half slightly more.

06E44891-C9E5-4590-88C6-EA7DAFE61752.jpeg

No LS swaps into this one. That would be overkill in this case. But it did need a fresh engine.

At first, the plan was to rebuild this engine. But when I searched for parts, I only found them at places like ************, who aren’t exactly known for their high quality parts, or ***, who is known for charging a lot of money for their hard to find parts.

To make matters worse, when I called both places to inquire about the manufacturer or the country of origin, I was told “I don’t know. They come in an unmarked white box.”

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

So I phoned a friend.

JimC in this case.

I asked if I could obtain the secret recipe for the really nice engines that he builds. I used to have one in my 60, and considering it is not a V8, the power and torque it made was impressive. Should be perfect for a 40. Especially this one, as @ducksntrout is no doubt going to need to blow through a few thick Mississippi mud holes with this truck.

If you’re already in there rebuilding it, you might as well do it right.

I’ll tag him, so he can scold me (and more likely Nolen) along the way if I’m screwing something up or have the wrong ingredients.

psst... @FJ40Jim

Jim scolds me often but being the Ready, Fire, AIM mechanic that I am it’s usually a week or two after I’ve irreversibly screwed up.

Jim scolds me often but being the Ready, Fire, AIM mechanic that I am it’s usually a week or two after I’ve irreversibly screwed up.

Oh, I plan on using you for cover if I get into a jam :grinpimp:

The first ingredient I received was to get rid of the F and find a rebuildable 2F. Preferably a later flat top piston motor, which don’t require fancy special order domed pistons, and have lighter pushrods and rocker parts.

But no worries if I find a domed motor, he would be placing an order soon for the custom domed pistons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom