Builds Mission Impossible......My 74 & 76 Build up by a Top Gun Land Cruiser builder :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

guess that really brings me up to date on where I am at now… I put POR 15 on the bottom of my cowl, and so far I have not got any primer the rest of it… so here is my plan for the next few days… I am going to buy the Chassis Black made by POR 15 to top coat what I have done so far (anyone know if I have to scuff up the sections before I do that?) then I have to move my frame out doors and cover it for a few days so I can get that cowl at least primed… I have never painted/primed anything that did not come out of a spray can before… I bought a new gun and the primer (2 kinds) that they recommended at the paint store. Also have to install my exhaust fan before I can paint in there… ( my dad got me a big fan from industrial kitchen that he had to redo and they did not want it… It will work great for my application)

So here is my plan as far as the cowl please give me your opinions on what I am thinking… there is very little body work needed to get that cowl ready for paint, probably just a skim coat of mud here and there but mostly just a few coats of primer and a block/wet sanding. Well I was thinking about doing all that and having it painted (having a body shop do the actual paint) then I could install it, put all my wiring, breaks, clutch, and engine back in… I know this will take me lots of time…. But I think I will have some because as far as I can see now it may be a while before I can afford the Aluminum body…. So if I get all this done now, I should be able to drop the body on (in a sense) does anyone who has done this feel that the fit will not be close enough and it will be too difficult to blend the paint with the cowl if this took say 6-9 months to get done. I have body work to do on the whole hard top and sides and rear that will also take a long time for me.. (I am not a good body guy but guess I refuse to give up and going to make this one my best attempt to date.)

Please let me know…..

Good luck, I got a November 73 (74) what vintage is yours?

it is a sept 1974, guess you could say half 74 and half 75... seems to have lots of both in it... 4 speed, 1.5 F engine

Last edited:
Nice work...looks like you bit off all you can chew :)

As far as the paint goes, a good paint shop should be able to match/blend the colors so that it is impossible to tell. I had a '91 Porsche 944 S2 Conv that I bought after it had been in a pretty decent front-end wreck. I took 8 months finding front-end parts of all different colors and then took it to a shop to have them do the body work/paint work. The car was white, which I don't know if it helped or hurt, but they painted the front of the car and blended the color throughout the doors and didn't touch the rear of the car. The only way you could tell that it was fresh paint was that it was a bit smoother on the hood than on the trunk lid.

Also, if you use the same paint shop, they might be able to hold a can of the same paint for when you bring the tub/top in. Either that or buy a couple of cans up-front when you have them do the cowl. I'd just have them paint the top and the tub at the same time so that they don't have to try and re-paint the two if they don't match.

Sooo.....after writing all of this, I think it can be done. It might cost you more in the long run, but if they do a proper job of blending the paint colors once the doors/top/tub are on, you'll never be able to tell a shade difference between the front fender and the rear tailgate.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work.

Half & Half

it is a Nov 1974, guess you could say half 74 and half 75... seems to have lots of both in it... 4 speed, 1.5 F engine

Mine has a 3 speed with an F engine. BTW, How much POR did you use.....Looks good.
Are you gonna shoot bedliner in the tub. I did, works great.

yes I plan to... I am going to use the stuff that matt is using now, so it can be color coded...

the 2F I got is out of a Oct 76 I think... for sure a 76 though...

do you have an alum tub? got pics?

used 2 quarts of POR so going to buy the same amount of top coat

Last edited:
guess that really brings me up to date on where I am at now… I put POR 15 on the bottom of my cowl, and so far I have not got any primer the rest of it… so here is my plan for the next few days… I am going to buy the Chassis Black made by POR 15 to top coat what I have done so far (anyone know if I have to scuff up the sections before I do that?) …..

The Chassis Black should go right over the POR-15. Have not done it yet but the instructions don't call for any prep. I thought yoo u had already done that though since the POR-15 looked so smooth.

Mine is an October 1974 with the 1.5F as well. You will spend more $$ than you will anticipate, that is for sure. However, I can tell you that it is well worth your efforts in the end! It took me 3.5 years or so, it's a long haul. Looks like you're well on your way. Cheers!

The chassis coat should go right over the por15, the chassis coat won't go on as smooth as the por15 does, but if should come out o.k.

Or, por15 makes their tie coat primer thing. Put this over the por15 and then you can top coat with anything you want.

check mountaincruiser's thread to see some pics of the aluminum tub, he did the same thing your talking about with the keeping the front cowl getting the rest aluminum.

Keep up the work

:cheers:

not much done on the truck this weekend... had other plans.... got the exhaust fan put in my shop however..

also got my suspension on Friday so that is ready to be put in... got all the rest of my POR Chassis black also so I will be getting that done this week.. more pics to come.

not much done on the truck this weekend... had other plans.... got the exhaust fan put in my shop however..

also got my suspension on Friday so that is ready to be put in... got all the rest of my POR Chassis black also so I will be getting that done this week.. more pics to come.

Looking good Aaron! Keep it up:D

Ed

man your busting your a$$ on this, looks like its coming along, as well as the house. good work

well last night I put 2 coats of POR 15 Chassis Back on the top half of the frame axels, and stearing linkage. Got to get someone to come over this weekend and help me flip the frame over so I can do the bottom... I have to say I really dont like the finished product after the chassis black..... did not dry as nice as the POR 15 not as shinny and in some places did not lay down as smooth..

Has anyone painted their springs with POR 15? I got my new suspention and have a can of POR 15 (plus more Chasis Black) laying around so I thought I would put a few coats of that on the springs and other suspention components.. Just wondering if anyone has done this? I really dont want to take the leaf springs apart? would I be waisting my time since I dont want to do this?

Been working on the house too much latley... got the bath room done last weekend... man lots of work... going to start on the kitchen soon... about 1/2 done in there, just have to put new counter tops on, finish trim work, and some more painting... this is the last room I am doing this winter... save the basement for next year..

I have to say I really dont like the finished product after the chassis black..... did not dry as nice as the POR 15 not as shinny and in some places did not lay down as smooth..

I told ya it wasn't as smooth;)

But it is a good solid layer

Has anyone painted their springs with POR 15? I got my new suspention and have a can of POR 15 (plus more Chasis Black) laying around so I thought I would put a few coats of that on the springs and other suspention components.. Just wondering if anyone has done this? I really dont want to take the leaf springs apart? would I be waisting my time since I dont want to do this?

Nothing wrong with coating them as is.

Not really gaining anything in taking them apart and coating, unless it really makes you feel better..

I've never painted leaf springs before, but the key is that they can travel and flex freely. The biggest thing that keeps this from happening is friction between the leafs. When they get older, they start to rust together and your suspension will get stiffer as the friction increases. If you do choose to take them apart and paint individually, I think it will help in the long run. Also, if you do this, when you put them back together, put a thin layer of axle grease in between each leaf. It will help with the flexing and smooth out the ride.

Looking good.

What new suspension did you get??

Several come with these plastic slices installed to fix the above mentioned problem.

Wow...didn't know that they were doing that these days. Wish that they had done it on my '56 F100 that I restored when I was in college. Those leaf springs are a pita to get off and clean up.

Fortunately, my fj40 is just a weekend use beast and I'm not too concerned about the smoothness of ride :)

I got the Pinnicle 4" suspention (I know what everyone is going to say..... :ban: , but I just could not see spending more at this point) I have not looked at the springs close enough to know if they came that way.. been too cold outside I just put them in the garage... I will look tonight..

but I think I will just coat them and not take them apart.

I told ya it wasn't as smooth;)

But it is a good solid layer

Yea that is the first thing I thought about this morning when I walked out to see the finished dryed product... I said "huh he was right!" :D

But I still think this was the right way to go... Just glad this is just a FJ40 and not some slick hot rod or somthing... that I wanted it to look perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom