Minitruck Front Axle Disc Brake Conversion For Dummies (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks kurt,
its great to get someone you know his stuff ....the answer to the question about the steering arms is what i have been looking for a while an now you answered it thanks....for this convertion i have used hubs from a 70 series landcruiser....and there going on a 1982 bj 40 so my steering arms will fit the 70 hubs..........but i do have two different type bearing in the 70 and the bj40 and the 70s are the same inside diameter and the bearing race is the same but the taper is different ..so to get the right shiming for the hub i have to use the bearings out of the 70 on my bj40

...but i do have two different type bearing in the 70 and the bj40 and the 70s are the same inside diameter and the bearing race is the same but the taper is different ..so to get the right shiming for the hub i have to use the bearings out of the 70 on my bj40

Very true.. Timken knuckle bearings have VERY different taper specifications than the Koyo bearings, its been widely discussed/debated in the past but the general concensus (and my personal preference based on my research) indicates that the shallower angle of the KOYO is a better bearing for the application than the Timken in this case... everywhere else on a Cruiser I wouldn't hesitate to run a Koyo, Timken, SKF, Nachi, etc.

That being said, there are plenty of Cruisers out there running the Timken, and the critical dimensions should be 100% identical (OD, ID, Height), so shimming shouldn't neccisarrily be different than the OE Koyo stuff. Cruisers with larger tires are likely to notice increased trunnion wear, especially with Timken IMHO...

HOLY s***!!!!!!!! That was the best conversion description I've seen....Now I don't need my third grade teacher comin over to explain it to me...I will be converting my truck over as soon as I get my parts from Mark!!!!

Thanks Guppie!!!

well, sorry to drag up an old thread,
im currently in the process of doing this conversion, but i seem to have run into a couple of minor problems,

i have the steering spindle on, and it moves nice and freely, but when i put the steering knuckle and the bottom retainer on, and tighten them up, there is still a 2-3mm gap between them and the spindle housing, and now the setup wont move from left to right without the use of the steering wheel - used to move freely by hand, and the birfield wont move at all..

does anyone know what iv done wrong and how to fix it?

cheers Dave

maybe post up some pics, that would help, not sure of the exact situation from your description, is everything back together? (ie: knuckle, spindle, etc?), sounds like possibly too many shims used so the top and bottom are too tight, did you use the fish scale method to measure? Hopefully someone smarter than me can address this.....

Noah

hey, sorry for the late reply, got the problem sorted, seems like there was something in the housing that shouldnt have been there, cause it to jam up.

did anyone find out what tie rod and tie rod ends to use, that will preferably bolt on and dont require any modding?

cheers Dave

Martac doesnt always work

Nice wright up, nice clean work too! Damn my jobs always come out (and my shop too) so much more messy :lol:

Side note, insted of putting that clip back on that inner shaft next time do the Martack. It makes swaping those crappy stockers out on the trail MUCH easier.
:D

i thought i was going to use the martac with my Set up im running a Eaton LSD up front and they wouldnt work for me i couldnt get the axle to slid all the way in because of the cross bar it was a PITA i ended up taking the martac off the axles and had no probelms getting the axle in , before i figured this out i was gringing the knuckle and grinding thinking it shouldnt be this hard , once i figured out the martact was my problem solved my issue right away, im sure every truck and cruiser is diffrent we went right from Marlins web sight and welded right at the end of the axle at the end of the splines ,

Were your brake lines discussed here? length, source etc. thx Ken

I think everything should work on your 71, but ask around, I am no expert.

NO, brakelines not discussed here. This is a frame up resto, so that will be one of the last things I will be doing, right now the body is completely off. I wanted to just focus on the knuckles on this write up.

Noah

incase anyone cares, second generation RX-7's use the same caliper, only its aluminum and weights about 7 pounds lighter. Also more/better pad options.

Great writeup.
Jonathan

Is the caliper identical in size, bolt pattern, brakeline connection 10mm and pad size exact? I am wondering if I could buy some performance pads from EBC for the RX and slip them into my iron calipers.

Thanks for taking all the time to post this tread.
It is great!!!!!
I am working on gathering all the parts to do this and this will make it so much it easier.

Great tread.
I came on looking for this and there it was at the top of the list were it belongs.

Hi thanks a lot for all the information on the thread, this has been a great help on my project , i just have almost all the parts needed , but i have the i little question, yesterday i have got the sterring arms, they tockout from a toyota 1987 BJ70, and they have the same bolt pattern but the arm it self is longer than the ones on the minitruck
View attachment 184680
is it a benefit or an issue to get longer arms. I have to purchase does becose on the knuckles where only one arm, and the other side is kind hard to find here in Costa Rica
View attachment 184681
see the diference the mini truck and LC arms

thanks
Victor

Last edited:
not sure I have the answer on this one, not familiar with the bj70 arms, your attachments didn't work, as long as they bolt up the the Mtruck stuff and you can figure out the links, many ways you can do the steering really.....

Noah

also doing a frame up on a 75 fj40. Just today i was standing over a 84 axle from a truck and was wondering if the knuckles would interchange . Was going to try this weekend . found this forum and answered all my questions. this site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom