Meet Steve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@samc2447 , Steve is looking very good. But when you get a chance, would you be able to expand on the work done here? as I don’t recall seeing any posts pertaining to it.

View attachment 3043747
I'm not going to clog up Don's thread, but will start a new one in due time. It's going in the shop shortly after Steve leaves.

Let me start for Steve, removed original motor from this 1974, cleaned engine bay(including some rust work, installed Mosley motors 2F w/new 5 spd and split case, new driveshafts, Sniper, Dui distributer, A/C seats, new mosley radiator, Alternator, plus a ton more little things. All yours Steve
I'll post more pictures and details a bit later. The engine swap was the primary focus. Ton's of little things, inducing chasing down and repairing wiring faults. Just wrapped up relocating the steering stabilizer mount since the conversion done previously used a 60 TRE the factory frame mount was too close and wouldn't allow proper articulation. Also added a power steering cooler for the 80 series steering box I put on.

Steve ready to come home after phase 1
4B61724D-4824-412E-87A1-577005C3C0F8.jpeg
this pic reminds me of Ron’s truck(not as polished, or green) but his truck made me drool when I saw it finished. Maybe the setting with lights on, just going to say it, Fing cool!, thanks Steve!

Mock up and relocation of steering stabilizer mount. This is needed due to the power steering conversion that uses what looks to be a 60 series TRE.

thumbnail_IMG_8288.jpg

Final solution with the power steering cooler installed as well.

thumbnail_IMG_8310.jpg

With the 80 box there was no wander or vagueness in the steering, but adding a stabilizer back to it will help.

Everything mounted and secured under the hood now. The radiator is one that @FJ60Cam sells and its a direct bolt in. It may be ever so slightly thicker than the stock one that came in the truck, but no fitment issues. There is a lot of work that has to go into the core support to fit the condenser in front of it, but the end result is a tidy package.

thumbnail_IMG_8329.jpg

We did run into a problem with the fan clutch. I referenced @wngrog and @cruiseroutfit work on Warthog where they checked fan offset and ordered the parts from Cruiser Outfitters. Unfortunately with the fan, pump and clutch they found to work in Warthog, we were still too close to the radiator. So a bit more research and we went with a different pump with no clutch and matching fan. Thankfully Cruiser Outfitters stocks all this stuff and got a few different varieties out to me in only a few days. The fan that's on it now I think is the 16 inch one from a 40 series, but I also ordered a 16.5 and I think a 17. When the truck comes back I'd like to put a bigger fan in if possible. No issues with cooling while driving, but at long lights in 100 TX weather the temperature will start to creep up if the AC is on.

thumbnail_IMG_8331.jpg

Unfortunately we ran out of time before we could get the PTO hooked up. Also, the original PTO shafts were lost long ago so there is going to be some fab required. Don did have a stock exhaust pipe for a PTO equipped truck, so we shouldn't have any clearance issues when we do install the PTO shafts.

thumbnail_IMG_8294.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8295.jpg

I might have missed it, but what's the a/c setup? A Vintage Air 40 series modified to fit?
Yes, VA high flow system for a 40 series. Basically bolts right in under the dash. Core support modifications needed to get the condenser in front of the radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom