Massive Metal Shop - New 100 series parts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any plans for some power tray mounting solutions for under the hood for electronics such as the Redarc DCDC charger and aux fuse panels? I can't find anything out there available.

This..... and one of those device mounts that go in the middle of the dash that you can mount your tablet, phone, gps, etc to!

4 lights total (2 on each side) would put off a ton of light... they are about 500 lumens/light in a nice broad flood pattern.

Sounds right. Maybe 4 piece base kit and then offer an 8 piece kit later on.

Any plans for some power tray mounting solutions for under the hood for electronics such as the Redarc DCDC charger and aux fuse panels? I can't find anything out there available.

Certain underhood mounting brackets are already on my list. I'll have more info on this once I get going on it.

Been trying to finalize the 80 series accessory mount kits before I move onto the next project.

20190528_110300.png

Last edited:
This..... and one of those device mounts that go in the middle of the dash that you can mount your tablet, phone, gps, etc to!

I've been looking into this. Owl Expedition has a great mount but I can't use it because I don't have the factory tape deck. I can't really find a good spot that provides a super rigid mounting point, is out of the way of most of the controls, and that is bolt on.

Why not use square neck bolts to attach the L brackets? They would sit much more flush, and you wouldn't need two wrenches/sockets to install/remove them.

Because all of the L brackets and antenna brackets would have square holes... and if you run two L brackets on either side, or an L bracket and an antenna bracket then you'll have a threaded bolt running through a square hole. :wrench::wrench:

Because all of the L brackets and antenna brackets would have square holes... and if you run two L brackets on either side, or an L bracket and an antenna bracket then you'll have a threaded bolt running through a square hole.

Yup, you'll also lose the ability to adjust the angle of the components. My vote is round holes, using two wrenches is the least of my worries :)

I've been looking into this. Owl Expedition has a great mount but I can't use it because I don't have the factory tape deck. I can't really find a good spot that provides a super rigid mounting point, is out of the way of most of the controls, and that is bolt on.

Ya, mine is a 2000, and his only goes down to 2003. These guys just came out with one for a GX470. Lexus GX470 Powered Accessory Mount (GXPAM)

Because all of the L brackets and antenna brackets would have square holes... and if you run two L brackets on either side, or an L bracket and an antenna bracket then you'll have a threaded bolt running through a square hole. :wrench::wrench:
You don't need to change the bracket at all. You already have a slot with flat sides on either end of the L bracket.

Yup, you'll also lose the ability to adjust the angle of the components. My vote is round holes, using two wrenches is the least of my worries :)
That's not how square neck bolts work. It only prevents rotation on the side of the bolt head (unless you have a really long neck or really thin part).

That's not how square neck bolts work. It only prevents rotation on the side of the bolt head (unless you have a really long neck or really thin part).
These are basically sheet metal parts, 16ga thick? I don’t think @reznunt wants to have custom hardware made.

These are basically sheet metal parts, 16ga thick? I don’t think @reznunt wants to have custom hardware made.
Sheet metal is what these are commonly used for (you can stamp square holes much more easily than trying to machine a square hole). It's definitely thicker than 1/16", I'd eyeball it at probably being around 1/8", but at least 3/32" or 100 thou. Custom hardware wouldn't be needed at all. If the neck really is that much thicker just add a washer.

Sheet metal is what these are commonly used for (you can stamp square holes much more easily than trying to machine a square hole). It's definitely thicker than 1/16", I'd eyeball it at probably being around 1/8", but at least 3/32" or 100 thou. Custom hardware wouldn't be needed at all. If the neck really is that much thicker just add a washer.

Got a link? Nothing I found on mcmaster has a neck shallow enough to work.

McMaster's interface is significantly better than most others, but they have a more limited selection. I don't know what size exactly you're looking for, but here's an example on Fastenal. Misumi might have something too, I've found less common hardware there before.

You don't need to change the bracket at all. You already have a slot with flat sides on either end of the L bracket.

That isn't what the slots were added for. I suppose you can buy my kit and swap out for carriage bolts which would be your prerogative. The slot wasn't designed to accommodate a carriage bolt so you'll need to find a size that fits well and won't damage itself or the slot. BTW, have you bought one of my kits? If you found a carriage bolt that works feel free to share it here for the few of you that don't have two wrenches or don't want to use two wrenches

Just a note... you would lose some functionality since the outside hex is used to adjust the angle on the fly. At least that's what I use it for. I can swing down the outer antenna bracket if I need to clear a garage, adjust lights on the fly, or fine tune pretty easily.

Not sure it's worth all the trouble (or the amount of time we are spending talking about this) in order to not use two wrenches one time. If you want to discuss carriage bolts further, please PM me. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
That isn't what the slots were added for. I suppose you can buy my kit and swap out for carriage bolts which would be your prerogative. The slot wasn't designed to accommodate a carriage bolt so you'll need to find a size that fits well and won't damage itself or the slot. BTW, have you bought one of my kits? If you found a carriage bolt that works feel free to share it here for the few of you that don't have two wrenches or don't want to use two wrenches

Just a note... you would lose some functionality since the outside hex is used to adjust the angle on the fly. At least that's what I use it for. I can swing down the outer antenna bracket if I need to clear a garage, adjust lights on the fly, or fine tune pretty easily.

Not sure it's worth all the trouble (or the amount of time we are spending talking about this) in order to not use two wrenches one time. If you want to discuss carriage bolts further, please PM me. Thanks for the input!
I just saw this thread for the first time today, haven't bought anything. I broke my spoiler offroading though, so I've been looking for something to do with the old mounting points and this seems like a pretty versatile way to attach just about anything.

I'd prefer carriage bolts not just because only a single tool is needed, but also because of how much more flush the bolt head would be. Would you mind sending me the slot dims? I'll see what I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom