Builds Mail Order Ride - My HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

Dork

SILVER Star
Thanks, I'm mostly quite happy with it, hopefully it lasts 20 years now.

Last picture here for now, with it all together and gone out for a drive (and is now already muddy). The bumper is still factory color, so you can see how close the tint is.

full

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Morro Bay, At the edge of the Pacific ocean

Last picture here for now, with it all together and gone out for a drive (and is now already muddy). The bumper is still factory color, so you can see how close the tint is.

full
Looks sweet the color combo is really nice, good work !!

Last edited:

full

looks fantastic, where did you order your rapto liner from?

Dork

SILVER Star
looks fantastic, where did you order your rapto liner from?

I got it this time from CAPS here in Edmonton, I think the 4L kit was around $180 plus you pay extra for the tint they add. Figured supporting local Alberta businesses is good karma. It's also sold at Carlson's on the south side.

I got it this time from CAPS here in Edmonton, I think the 4L kit was around $180 plus you pay extra for the tint they add. Figured supporting local Alberta businesses is good karma. It's also sold at Carlson's on the south side.

thanks I have a to do list of something like this, I like the color you chose too.

Dork

SILVER Star
My steering has been getting to be a bit garbage lately, so it figures that I'm checking the truck over before an upcoming trip like normal, but this time when I grab the drag link I get a thunk. Down to 4wheel Auto I go cause they had a set of all 4 tie rod ends sitting on the shelf. These came in a Terrain Tamer box, but stamped made in Japan by 555. They're noticeably beefier than the existing ones were.

Put them all in, and since there's probably no way to get into an alignment in the morning and we wanna be leaving by noon, I did the best I could myself. I used the "put thumb tacks in the dead center of tread of the tires and measure front and back" method, and it feels pretty good. I gotta piss around with the drag link to get steering closer to center, but I didn't notice any wobble or shimmy yet. Figure I can bring the couple wrenches needed and just keep making little adjustments along the way until I'm happy. And heck, I just learned how to save myself the $100-whatever crazy amount that shops are charging these days.

full

Dork

SILVER Star
Woah, I ain't updated this in a while.

I guess back to the alignment after the TRE job. I ended up not happy with the feel of it, and I was going on a big road trip so I managed to get it done on the morning we left. Felt much better.

Those TREs ended up rusting like crazy in no time flat.

Did an oil change after 8k, didn't bother with the analysis this time. I think i put 0w-40 in.

Took it out in the wet snow, got stuck. Was stupid.

Replaced front and rear U joints, they were f***ered. Doing them happened to completely take care of that awful growling, grinding noise when cruising and not quite putting enough power out to keep the drive shaft loaded. Not sure why it didn't fix it when I did them the first time, but hoo boy did that now make it nicer to drive!

Then, I used a new toy/tool I bought to make some janky ass sway bar extensions. The truck as I received it had the lift in place, with some wacky extended links. Buying stock replacement links wouldn't fit, and no way was I finding the same things from eBay Asia so I did this. The ball joints on the front links were toast, so these took care of a nasty clunk I had going on. The eBay Asia lift kit also has beefier sway bars, so measured up and got some bushings to put on the front and rear bars.

Now, ho-lee s***. Every squeak, clunk, rattle, click, etc is gone. That mixed with the U joint job has this truck feeling like a brand new vehicle.

Up next is a couple of cool things I'm excited to work on. They're not fast projects, but good ones.

20210331_162328.jpg

Dork

SILVER Star
A buddy gave me a roll of appropriate rubber a while ago, and I finally got around to making it into mud flaps. I like the look of them, and the way they keep things clean, and the fact that I f***ing hate getting rock chips, so i probably shouldn't be giving them to other people. Did both front and rear since I feel bad for my rockers. Fabbed up some brackets that bolt to the bumper/sliders, painted em, used some large flange aluminum rivets to attach the flaps to the brackets and voila.

I just lost the auto glass industry a couple grand.

full

Dork

SILVER Star
Really Happy with my Odyssey Extreme, I run a group 31 single. I can run my ARB Fridge for days and it well still start the truck 👍
I've heard good things, these are two Group 34s. They weren't cheap, that's for damn sure. My existing batteries look like this right now, and need to be charged if i don't drive it weekly.

20210310_152847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom