Luck of the pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While surfing down craigslist I saw an add that appeared to be two 40s and a 45. I looked for a phone number, I looked for an email, nothing; but wait! a location on the map! The location showed to be about 15 miles from my house. The next morning I took my son to school and went for a ride, right to where the pin was dropped. I drove around the area for nearly two hours searching, trespassing, knocking on doors, you name it, still not a cruiser in sight. My search was over for now.

A few months later a good friend called me and said he just got off the phone with a guy that had some LC for sale and wanted to know if he knew anyone that might be interested. I did not believe him at first because he is quite the prankster, then he sent me a pic. It was a white fj55 parked in a barn covered in dust. I got the guys number from him immediately and called. The guy that answer said they were his and his fathers project that never really got started and they wanted to part with them. I then asked, "them?" He replied by saying he had a 4 door and three 2 doors. right then I knew he probably didn't know what he had. I meet him the next morning at 8AM. There about 7 miles from the location on the craigslist ad sat three 40s and a 55 all in a barn. I was excited! A little disappointed one was not a 45 but never the less i was felicitous.

Eager as I was, he said we could not negotiate any prices until his father was the there. His father would not be home till 3pm. I drove back home and waited for the text telling me of his fathers arrival. Finally at 2:30 I get the message! I headed back to there cattle farm with car trailer following and a sack of gold :jimlad:. We came up with a fair price after some tough negotiating. Boom! I was now the owner of another pig and three 40s! What's the chances for the random ad I found on CL guy, call my buddy and ask him that question? Kinda lucky i guess.

For me its not only about owning them, its about the chase and the thrill of buying them! I love land cruisers and vehicles in general, but the joy and satisfaction of having buying that piece of history, to me, is priceless. Sorry for the deep thought, heres the pics you came to see:grinpimp:
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG

What a nice find. You are right about the search it isa big part of the fun.

Although the white 55 had everything with it, I still wanted a parts pig for little things like a drivers door handle, seat belts and a few other small things. So i dug back in my stash of known cruiser locations and took a shot at a pig I have known about since high school. I stopped in early one morning and knocked on the retired gentleman's door, he open with a friendly smile. I asked would he be interested in getting rid of the pig that he'd had for many many years sitting in his hay field. He told me he was getting ready to haul it to the scrap yard and that he would gladly sale it to me so he didn't have to fool with it. I accepted his asking price and headed home to get my trailer.

They don't call me eagle for nothing. This piggie was wayyy off the road in this hay field. This pic was taken after I was already a few hundred yards on the guys property.
IMG_1787.JPG

This pig has a pretty cool story. A doctor in Starkville, MS purchased this pig new in 1971. he had it only a couple years when he needed to replace the roof on his house. Mr Dyson older brother took the job, in return for the roofing job the doc swapped his still new condition fj55. The doc had traveled from Mississippi all the way to Canada in the 55 and said he had gotten his money worth out of it time and time again. Mr Dyson brother gladly accepted the trade, only to drive it for a few more years before parking it.

Spring time came and the brother needed the piggie out of his way. Mr Dyson put a hot battery and some fresh gas in her and drove her to the spot you see in the pic.
IMG_1769.JPG

The nebula green paint is sun baked because it had sat in this exact spot since 1979. :nailbiting: Yes you read that right 1979!

The pig still has the original tires that came on it. Factory radio, mats, headlights, you name it. The only thing missing was the tool kit and jack
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG

why park it and let it rot?

it was worth some money and usefulness to someone...
Yeah it’s crazy that it got parked. It’s a real pimp Piggie. It’s a goner but I love the OEM goodies that are still there.

Tailgate handle broke? lol its a time capsule, a rusty one though

White 55 got some much needed attention. Radiator was leaking around the tanks so i pulled it and re-soldered then shot it with some fresh paint. also replaced valve cover gasket, belts, all fluids here is a before shot
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
progress
IMG_2078.JPG

Cleaned up and painted a set of oem wheels i got from @wngrog slapped a set of "of the era" tires and she is starting to look like something
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG

Painted the grill, bumper and side vents, cleaned the unicorn lights with extreme caution
IMG_2013.JPG

hanging with the younger brother
IMG_1891.JPG

While I had it on the lift I decided it was a good time to paint to frame with some rust converter. The stuff I used is made by Zep, it brushes on white and dries black. I like it because it puts a nice shine on the frame without looking like i rattle canned it.
In progress
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom