Looking for parts for my 62 Soft top frame off Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

World class work. Beautiful. I too went with a 4spd tranny. I had a 3spd on the tree, a side shifting transmission and the original t-case, rewelded a lot. The 4 speed it so much nicer to drive. The earliest 3 speeds would have come with the tiny (relatively) box with 2 levers on the side for shifting about the gears. No way I could tell to change it to be a a stick. Also, I had to modify the engine mount assemblies so the four speed would fit with only a small hole in the hump for the stick shift. Had I used the oem sized mounts the 4 speed would be quite "proud" of the tranny cover and necessitated a good deal of welding/cutting work on the hump.

Lastly, and this may have been covered - I apologize for not reading everything- the rear end appears to be off a later FJ40. My FJ has a centered diff. One way to check if the front matches the rear is to see if the drain plugs on the front and rear diffs match. Mine are cast iron and twice the size of later ones. So don't ever round them off, they are scarce.

The offset diff does help it one way for sure. The drive shaft angles on my 40 are ridiculously sharp (for a drive shaft anyway). It looked goofy with the 3 speed (a shorter tranny, longer driveshaft more relaxed angles) and now looks a bit worse with the longer tranny. Oh well. It gets along just fine, especially since I am not putting on thousands of miles. More like "tens of miles".

One more thing, does you truck still have the riveted wheels vs. the later welded ones?

Well, I'll shut up now, and again, beautiful truck.

FSTs, cool little trucks.:grinpimp:

Last edited:
Tom just went through your thread for the 3rd time. Feel so sorry for you you have to sell. Also because of the story that came with it. Is there no way you can make it drivable prior to selling? I'm no expert but would say it should sell easier.
Don't know what went wrong, but hope times will get better for you soon. GL.

Tom, do you still have any of these stickers left?

You might contact Pardion (John P. III) and see if he is in contact with Tom anymore. I talked with John about a year and it was pretty clear Tom was selling this FJ40 and moving on. Doubt he is checking in. Could have used a couple of those stickers myself.

Wow, simply wow. Why Indonesia?

Got them from my good friend John Pardi who is not stingy with his parts...

I’ll second that.

Oh that is too cool! If you see Tom again tell him they’re going to get used.

Just a side note from the build, that ‘62 would of had a center rear diff originally, right?

Oh that is too cool! If you see Tom again tell him they’re going to get used.

Just a side note from the build, that ‘62 would of had a center rear diff originally, right?
I will, I did mention to him that someone asked about it. Yes this did have a centered rear diff. but PO changed it to a later 40 rear when the 4 speed and later T/C went in. I wish I had taken pictures of all the Running gear I have built. I forgot that I rebuilt Toms, but the Fireplace hearth Tom did for me in trade sure looks nice. He has always said this 62/40 was the hardest re-do he has ever done. You never know, he might chime in here. Post up a photo on here when you install those visors. I know he won't like the patina build, but to each their own. Now to find the heater decals he left me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom