Little 25 treasures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rear step is 16" wide. My 62 FST came with the barn doors, pintle hook and trailer light plug.
What years used the wide vs the narrow step?
Ken

The rear step is 16" wide. My 62 FST came with the barn doors, pintle hook and trailer light plug.
What years used the wide vs the narrow step?
Ken

As for what years used which rear step:meh: The one you have was the only one used on the 68 to 73 model FJ40. Then another style 74 on that the mounting flange was on the outside and used the same bolts as the ones used on the inside of the bumprettes. Earlier appears to have had two options depending on if the trailer plug was installed. During 62 the pintle hook was no longer standard. If before that all had the narrower ones is a good question. Need to do some searching in the limited part books I have to see. I have three of the wider steps. Two were new take off and painted black. Got them together with some other items which included tow 63 owner's manuals. The guy I got the stuff from had bought a new cruiser in the earlier sixties. His father bought a new one at the same time. He was in his mid eighties when I bought the stuff and in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's and couldn't remember the year. But if they are in fact from 63s then is when Toyota started to paint them black. I have the bumperettes from those vehicles and both are a beige body color. Another thing is 62 maybe 63 was the lastest barn door were offered on the soft top model in the US. Then all soft tops had a tailgate and hard tops barn doors until 75 when the ambulance doors started. That picture I showed was a crossmember from a 63 or 64. I got a couple of them out of a junk yard years ago. I think was off a 63 hard top. In any case it has fixed nuts for the wider step. Another thing that is interesting is all the literature showing early soft tops nine had any step. I now know I can use the narrower step and be correct. You probably don't know what a wealth of knowledge you are having one this original with all the history from day one.:clap:

I took some measurements.

Widest are 19 3/4" then 15 3/4" then 13 1/2"

:cheers:
John

Marv believed this to be off of a very early FJ25

I'm not sure I'll be needing it anytime soon, anyone ever see/have a combined fuel pump with filter?

the mounting pattern and the throw arm match my others, on the top of the mounting area is the number 3949 stamped into it:meh:

fuel pump 001.jpg

fuel pump 002.jpg

fuel pump 003.jpg

fuel pump 004.jpg

fuel pump 005.jpg

Stock storage location of the engine crank in a early soft top model. Not sure if there was enough clearance to do this with the larger hard top door?

Also the difference in the early bracket for the safety straps and the later ones that were still mounted to side of the tub and not the catch for the hard doors.
Is that the engine crank handle ?
Then the early radiator bracket that mounted to the front crossmember. Has a guide for the engine hand crank. My 65 FJ45 doesn't have it. Still need to research my early FJ40 to see if I can tell when it ended.
View attachment 640526View attachment 640527View attachment 640528

Stock storage location of the engine crank in a early soft top model. Not sure if there was enough clearance to do this with the larger hard top door?

Also the difference in the early bracket for the safety straps and the later ones that were still mounted to side of the tub and not the catch for the hard doors.
Is that the engine crank handle ?
Then the early radiator bracket that mounted to the front crossmember. Has a guide for the engine hand crank. My 65 FJ45 doesn't have it. Still need to research my early FJ40 to see if I can tell when it ended.
View attachment 640526View attachment 640527View attachment 640528
Here is the rear license plate lens. I got one that was totally missing the license bracket. Another that had the lens MIA. Another that the lens was shattered. Then one good one. The lens is made of glass. Not how much interest there would be of this made from plastic. Thinking a making one from plastic and keeping this one stored away.
View attachment 640557View attachment 640558View attachment 640559
Still there after 50+ years. I think that is cool. If you look close, you can see the guide under the radiator too.

View attachment 761199

View attachment 761198
Nice pics

Here are the four iterations of Toyota trouble lights that I am aware of. The one on the left is the oldest and came in the 1963 FJ40s. It may go back further than that but I need to dig into the archives to see if I can find one documented. The third from the left is yellow cad with one hook while the newest one (available from Toyota still) is clear cad (silver). The difference between the 2nd and 3rd bags is that the 3rd bag is a honeycomb.

DSC_8066lowrez.jpg

so, when treeroot got the kit that included the 23mm wrench, we were talking that we needed proof that the metal toolboxes came with the land cruisers....well, here it is...part number bx91900 tool case
DSC09327.JPG

"15 minutes could save you 15 percent......"

sorry, I couldnt resist

judging by the "eBay run" these boxes have had over the past 4-5 years I think it's safe to assume the GEN/EUR/ARL etc. books we are used to referring to do not depict the amount of metal boxes the Japan Market put out with their trucks

Last edited:
There were three types but the book shows this style was 1958-9/73 and then 9/73-1984. I know the larger was on the early trucks but Toyota also used them on Troopies. 1974-1983 trucks had to use the same holes as the bumperettes. As Wes pointed out to me, they were ear out on the later trucks. I looked at the literature and show the large step in the 1967 ads and the small step in the 1968 ads. This makes sense to me because Toyota added the extra reflectors in 1968. Only the hard tops had the steps unless you go back to before 1958.

Last edited:
The large one was used thru the 67 model. The middle size was used 68 thru 73 model. Reflector added outside the bumperette was the reason the step got smaller. 74 and later the mounting flange flipped and shared the same bolt as the bumperettes. The 74 and later tail lights were the reason for that changed. Know 9/73 was the month the last size started. Believe 9/67 was the start of the 68 month. Month my 68 was built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom