Early Toyota Parts Numbering System ETPNS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Threads
The early toyota parts numbering system is odd to say the least. From what i have found some things do make sence...especially when it comes to the nuts and bolts of it :D

These are listed in the back of the Parts Manual

Most of the early numbers that have an:
S in the begining of the two letter prefix are Screws such as SF SP SS SC SM SR

W as the second letter in a three or two letter prefix to start are Washers such as PWL SWH IW CW

N as the second letter in the three letter prefix are Nuts such as JNN TNN FNT LNN CNN

B as the second letter in a three letter prefix are Bolts such as JBN YBN TBK YBK MBN SBN

WP Cotter Pin

MR Rivit

Last edited:
I think their old method of part numbers really starts with the 1st vehicle that they start a new part on.

There are parts labled BX, BJ, RK, BJ25, FJ24, SB, BJ20, FA, FJ25L, FJ29, KB, KC...and many others

Parts specificly designed to the fj25 are listed as fj25...all other are hand me overs from other cars/trucks originally designed for them not the fj25.

Kinda makes sence when you dont have all that many cars and truck designs

So its kinda like a built in parts crossreference in the number system.

Last edited:
I had noticed a pattern with the early numbering system

When the change over was made to the modern 10 digit system...the part number was mostly used as the 1st 5 numbers.

the second set of numbers is coded as model #

Part # - Model #

_ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _

On the second set of numbers all the numbers that start with:

'0' are nuts/bolts/washers/and other, like plugs (the small stuff)
'1' shows up as early parts? one from the AE
'2' show up as parts from vehicles SKB / SK10 / ST10
'3' shows up as parts from Light vehicles SB / RS / RK / RR / RSD
'4'
'5' shows up as parts from Heavy Trucks FA / KC / AKC / KB / BX / BY
'6' shows up as parts fron vehicles BJ / FJ
'7'
'8'
'9' shows up as parts from vehicles BJ / FJ

to break down the '0' further

00 = washers
01 = washers / grease fittings
02 = washers
03 = rubber plugs / rollers
04 = Bolts
06 = Bearings
08 = Bolts

Just thought it was interesting...at least this is they way it started in 63' ...probably not used in this way today...

very cool to see parts used on the fj25 that had started out from such historic cars like the AE / BJ / FA / KC / KB I think I even saw the FQ

that is good info Johnny, I inquired about this stuff a while back

Rick_D thought there was an interpretation leaflet/book of some sort that gave a breakdown of the early numerical parts system.

I've never seen or heard of it?

Actually the "6" still designates parts related to Land Cruisers.

Seems like some time around 73 the "9" became the new number of choice for LC parts. Not really relevant to an FJ25 thread, but worth noting nonetheless.

Seems like some time around 73 the "9" became the new number of choice for LC parts. Not really relevant to an FJ25 thread, but worth noting nonetheless.

Only for certain applications though....mainly interior trim, weatherstripping, exterior trim, etc. Main assy's still remained -6xxxx as the suffix number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom