Lifting a gx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a lifted gx 470. I'd like to go as big as I can ( obviously ) both on the lift and the tires. Id also like to run at least a 9 inch wide wheel with minor tire poke.

However, I will be daily driving this thing so the lift that I get needs to be able to take punishment all weekend and then still get me to work. This truck will not be for jumping but I do plan on adding power down the road and I'd like to be able to cruise down fire roads quickly. it will be more of a desert adventure vehicle than a true rock crawler. I'm planning to add sliders with the lift and then add offroad bumpers later starting with the rear. I

I'm also planning on doing a RTT so my suspension will need to support a good amount of weight.

I really appreciate any and all advice including "dont buy a gx 470 for that" I'm new to offroading but not to wrenching... ive been modding a '13 focus ST for a while

Anyways thanks,
CW

For the type of wheeling you are explaining you don’t need to lift it as high as possible and do not need the largest wheels possible. That is just over kill and a waste of money. I high quality lower lift would be a better decision in my opinion.

Basically just contact Metal Tech and order the top of the line ICON suspension they offer for the GX and then fit the wheels and tires to that lift.

You will either need to carry a spare inside or get a rear bumper with a tire swing if you plan on running large tires because it won’t fit under the truck otherwise.

Since you are new to off-road I would learn your vehicle first and get on those fire-roads even stock as soon as you get it and start learning how to drive it.

For the type of wheeling you are explaining you don’t need to lift it as high as possible and do not need the largest wheels possible. That is just over kill and a waste of money. I high quality lower lift would be a better decision in my opinion.

Basically just contact Metal Tech and order the top of the line ICON suspension they offer for the GX and then fit the wheels and tires to that lift.

You will either need to carry a spare inside or get a rear bumper with a tire swing if you plan on running large tires because it won’t fit under the truck otherwise.

Since you are new to off-road I would learn your vehicle first and get on those fire-roads even stock as soon as you get it and start learning how to drive it.

I mean I’ve all ready done that in my focus On super sport tires... if I can do that then why would I need to in a new truck....

Tbh the GX has pretty weak styling for me... part of the lift is for looks. It just looks so lame stock... I’d like to do lift tires and sliders ASAP.

So icon is the way to go? Do I need to look at long travel options ? Those seem pretty cool. Can I fit 33’s on a 17x9 wheel ? Offset?

I’ll put my spare on a tire swing as soon as i can... 33’s seem to be the max without doing any serious cutting

Modifying my truck won’t be about reason... it’s just got to be as cool (to me) as my car otherwise selling the focus is going to be brutal

Unnecessarily adding height is detrimental to performance - CV axle angles increase, your center of gravity goes up, and generally it doesn't buy you all that much.

Why do you want a 9" wide wheel? You can run wider tires on narrower wheels than you can in the sports car world, and it's often preferable (narrower wheels hold the tire bead better, so you have a lower chance of losing a bead).

Unnecessarily adding height is detrimental to performance - CV axle angles increase, your center of gravity goes up, and generally it doesn't buy you all that much.

Why do you want a 9" wide wheel? You can run wider tires on narrower wheels than you can in the sports car world, and it's often preferable (narrower wheels hold the tire bead better, so you have a lower chance of losing a bead).

Is it a bad idea or just unessisary ? I like the wide look and I’m not about to run spacers... because that’s for sure a bad idea. I did see a gx on 17x9’s i really liked it. I’m coming from the tuner world so you’ll have to bear with me... I want 17’s right? Not 18’s?

You guys have convinced me on the lift though. I’ll go for an Icon 3” with the airbag delete

That look good? 8" wheel. 35x12.50
18034299_10154585725238123_5226809686171177502_n.jpg

I mean I’ve all ready done that in my focus On super sport tires... if I can do that then why would I need to in a new truck....

To learn your new Vehicle a new sport!

Tbh the GX has pretty weak styling for me... part of the lift is for looks. It just looks so lame stock... I’d like to do lift tires and sliders ASAP.

Then get a 4Runner and pose it on a rock and share it on FB

So icon is the way to go? Do I need to look at long travel options ? Those seem pretty cool.

They are one of the best suspension companies available. Long travel will not help you fit larger tires or wider tires. And again would be overkill for the type of wheeling you mentioned.

Can I fit 33’s on a 17x9 wheel ? Offset?

Search, tons of threads and info on this with dedicated threads.
GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread

I’ll put my spare on a tire swing as soon as i can... 33’s seem to be the max without doing any serious cutting

Modifying my truck won’t be about reason... it’s just got to be as cool (to me) as my car otherwise selling the focus is going to be brutal

It’s going to be tough to beat the coolness of a Ford Focus but wish you the best.

Is it a bad idea or just unessisary ? I like the wide look and I’m not about to run spacers... because that’s for sure a bad idea. I did see a gx on 17x9’s i really liked it. I’m coming from the tuner world so you’ll have to bear with me... I want 17’s right? Not 18’s?

You guys have convinced me on the lift though. I’ll go for an Icon 3” with the airbag delete

You can run a 12.5" (315) wide tire on an 8" wheel (see Dan's post above). It's a lot different than the car world (my MR2 has 255's on 9.25" wheels).

If you really want to go wide, look at the Total Chaos long travel kits with McQueen fiberglass fenders. You'll spend a LOT of money, but it'll put you about 8 inches wider than stock.

Dude that is so sick!
What offset are your wheels?

Could I do a similar fit with 33” tires?
That would be perfect for me

These are 255/75R17's (basically 32x10's) on 17x8 0mm wheels:

sVdvCB3.jpg

I think @DanKunz has the same wheel specs (17x8 0mm 4.5 BS) but am not 100% sure.

You are correct sir!!! Go to a -10 offset and it will stick out more. Also keep in mind I don't have flares

You can run a 12.5" (315) wide tire on an 8" wheel (see Dan's post above). It's a lot different than the car world (my MR2 has 255's on 9.25" wheels).

Thanks for the input. 8” it is then!

I appreciate the advice guys. I’ll update you when I find a gx

Drop bracket the SOB and run 35s on 24s. Bro-dozer 4 life

Drop bracket the SOB and run 35s on 24s. Bro-dozer 4 life
Love that avatar. I really am trying to go offroading lol. I spend just about all my free time rock climbing and I'm tiered of riding shotgun in other peoples rigs. :steer:

What tires do you guys recommend? I'm out west and the ground is pretty sandy. I plan on doing a fair amount of highway driving as well.

17 or 18 inch wheels... are there any performance differences or is it just for looks?

Will i need to do a body mount chop to run 33"s or if i did the chop could I go bigger?

Love that avatar. I really am trying to go offroading lol. I spend just about all my free time rock climbing and I'm tiered of riding shotgun in other peoples rigs. :steer:

What tires do you guys recommend? I'm out west and the ground is pretty sandy. I plan on doing a fair amount of highway driving as well.

17 or 18 inch wheels... are there any performance differences or is it just for looks?

Will i need to do a body mount chop to run 33"s or if i did the chop could I go bigger?

17's get you more sidewall. Sidewall is good.

Cooper ST Maxx are very well-regarded. I like my Duratracs but they're known for having weak sidewalls, so if you're playing in rocks you may want to avoid them.

Unsure on max tire size, but there should be tons of info floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom