Let's see you custom rear bumper (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Splatter everywhere!

Damn split, yer welds look like crap...;)

I guess it is kinda funny how you have to photo shop mud on your rig since you live in the desert. At least I hope that is MUD and not from the neighbors cow patties in your orchard.

:cheers:
DSCF2112.jpg
DSCF2109.JPG

Damn split, yer welds look like crap...;)

Splatter everywhere!

I guess it is kinda funny how you have to photo shop mud on your rig since you live in the desert. At least I hope that is MUD and not the neighbors cow patties in your orchard.

LMAO!

That's what happens when your in too much of a hurry to finish the fenders on the trailer. Everything gets nicely mortored in place.:D
100_0423-2.jpg
100_0424-2.jpg

Mine's very similar to Cirbo's with hardware from IPOR. It can carry 3 septer cans, action packer or cooler. I just added the Rotopax cans so I can carry gas and still have the basket available.

Hi-Lift sits on rubber stoppers. Can carry a 35" tire. There's also a receiver hitch setup in the center of the tire for added expandability.

I still have to finish the tail lights yet. I've got a set of LED lights that will be mounted on the bumper.

Nice tire cover ... Hippie ... :flipoff2:

Splatter everywhere!

I guess it is kinda funny how you have to photo shop mud on your rig since you live in the desert. At least I hope that is MUD and not from the neighbors cow patties in your orchard.

Dan,
I thought your bumper folded down...
Does your bumper design provide for multiple swing-out options?

I like :D

Mark W

What spring are you running under the back of your FJ40? The shackle angle looks great but I can imagine the squat when those jugs are loaded. Any difference? My FJ 40 squats when the 2 cans are full.

Great idea on the latch system.

Right now I have FJ45 wagon springs under the rear and I run overload coils when needed.
But....

edit.... The close ups I posted last show the rig sitting empty and with the overload coils still installed after a long heavily loaded run.... it sits a couple of inches lower when i remove the coils... which is how I use it for a day trip if there is a light load.

I am going to 54 inch chevys on both ends soon... I hhave wiped out two sets of FJ55s rears under the front end and I am tired of that :)

I am going to strip the overloads out of a set of 1ton chevy pickup trucks rears... and the add/replace main leaves until I get it where I want it. I am looking for less height but less variation in height as the load changes... and still keep it nice and soft. The long shackles at mild angles that I favor are a big help in keeping it soft, as will be the longer length of the springs... Just have to see how it all falls together in reality

Our use of the rigs puts a LOT of stress on the springs... Lots of weight, long distance, overall rough terrain, higher speeds over much of it, and enough very rough terrain that articulation can not be ignored. It is tough to make a spring perform and last too.

If the chevy springs will not do the trick, then I will move to an idea I have been pondering but not yet tried...air cylinders mounted like a second shock at each corner to take some of the load when the rig is very heavy and to create load on the springs when the rig is light. This *should* work great, but will add complexity which is always nice to avoid. :)

Mark...

Last edited:
Rear bumper (don't shoot me because it's not an FJ)

Hello all,
Here's the bumper I made for my 75 Bronco. I'm going to build one similar for Josh and Jackson's FJ. The Highlift rests on a "T" that can't be seen from this angle. The jack is locked via a hitch pin lock for receiver hitches.
rear_bumper_smaller.jpg

Here's the one I had on my old 40. This worked really well IMO. Bumper was 2x4 .120wall with FJ40 taillights and manual reverse lights for the SM420 trans. The swing out is built from 1.5" .120wall with the hinge and latch uprights using 1.5" 1/4wall. The basket is 1" .120wall and held one of my coolers or two fuel cans. Conferr axe and shovel mount. Highlift was carried on the spare using a Kaymar bracket. To me the best part of this bumper was the 3/4" solid bar stock that wraps around the corners. Those were added as a way to support the top of the carrier and minimize any bounce it might have (without having to tie it into the body). Little did I know that they would provide some of the best body protection on the entire truck. I can't tell you how many times those little bars saved me from totally demolishing the rear corners of the truck.

cage1.jpg

cage2.jpg

with the cooler
profile.jpg

Last edited:
I guess rear visibility is out of the question with that bumper/trail equip. setup. Still a stout design though.

Rear? There were times that day I couldn't see out the front.;)

Box Rocket, nice rig.:cheers:

Here's a more clear shot of just the bumper. I forgot to mention that the hinges were just simple tube/pin style. Probably .5" pins that slid inside of tubes. The top hinge had the pin pointing up and the bottom hinge had the pin pointing down and was bolted on where the top hinge was welded. I could unbolt the bottom hinge and lift off the entire swingout in about 2 minutes. Made convenient for a trail like this where the spare tire would ahve just gotten in the way.

IMG_1768.jpg

I really like that bumper box rocket, is that mounted to the stock bumper or the frame?
Chuck

Mine is simple.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark,
What is the brand/model of the newer style latch you're using? Also, just curious what you do for a spare?

thanks.

I use destaco latches... no matter whqat configuration They are the best I ahve found... I think that is a model 341 in that new setup and 344 on the older ones.

I do not carry a spare.... when you get that big it become problematic... I carry plugs, tubes and patches, chemical bonders, awls and monofiliment and various other tools to debead/repair/rebead a tire instead.

Mark...

Before I forget, How are the rear sliders attached to the frame in the 4 runner and the 60?
Thanks, ty
056.jpg
014.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom