Builds Leroy Brown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In july of 2016 I brought home a 1985 FJ60. The truck had been parked in my friends dad's garage for around 14 years or so. Every time some one inquired about it he would rattle off things about the poor MPG and how slow it was. He loved it though. When he picked it up from the original owner, in 89' I believe, he had the underbelly sprayed to protect it. 6-12 months before he parked it in the garage he even had the engine rebuilt. It literally took me a few years of asking about it, then one day his daughter said he went to look for the pink slip.
Figured out a price and towed it home.
Picts as it came home

Its been a slow go but with all of Muds knowledge I have been making some progress.
To bring the progress to date I have had the carb rebuilt by Mark, new insulator plate, new silicone vacuum hoses, fuel pump, cap and rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter, a couple new and used filters in the vacuum lines. Oil change and filter. Got the engine to turn by hand. Had the fuel tank cleaned out and painted the outside of the tank with bedliner. Flushed hard fuel lines and new rubber fuel lines. O Chopped the radiator shroud in half and had a friend fab some brackets for it.
Pulled the interior out to clean the floors and seats.
Quietcrap is on the way and I have the new vinyl floor ready and waiting.

Scrubbed the fabric with a Harbor Freight power washer with a combo of soaps and rinsing.
All and all we gave the fabric 4 washings and 8 rinse. Came out nice I think. Theres one are on the rear seat bottom that has some fraying and a couple of the bolsters are in need of a fix. Left the fabric attached to the front backs because it looked like a pain to get the hog rings off. I was careful not to soak the seats when I cleaned these ones.

I want to replace the front foam pads on the seats, Just not sure I want to drop $200 a piece from SOR.
Not in a rush so I'll figure that out.

Floor boards on this rig cleaned up nice. Still need to do another once over. 40 years of dirt, juice and candy is crazy hard to clean.

Thats where its at now. Thanks for all the info from the mud community! Such an awesome resource.
Oh and to dat I have received 4 letters on the cruiser or my mail box inquiring about selling it. HA

The 60 was named "beepbeep" by my then 2 year old

Last edited:
Mine is the same year and was the same color. Oh the memories of tearing everything apart on the interior to clean it. It looks like you are doing a great job and have a nice base rig to start from. Good luck with the resurrection and keep the pics coming.

Thanks @2mountainfish.

Got the fuel tank and spare tire cross-member back in today after cleaning up all the threads. New fuel lines as well.

Did a little searching for paint ideas. Im trading a client some graphic design work for body and paint work.
Im drawn to these Jaguar colors so far.
Willow Green

or Fern Grey/Green

Might look for more brown and copper colors, or just do a respray of the original color.

The original color is really nice when it's fresh. If you do a new color, the jambs,inside doors, under hood all have to be done for it to look good. I wrapped mine because I just couldn't bring myself to spend thousands of dollars just to scratch it up. If I didn't use the truck off road much, I would definitely paint it stock color. That being said , I really like the the Willow green.
PS. If you are ever driving up Hwy.395 headed towards Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, let me know, I'm in Big Pine, right on the way.

Last edited:
The original color is really nice when it's fresh. If you do a new color, the jambs,inside doors, under hood all have to be done for it to look good. I wrapped mine because I just couldn't bring myself to spend thousands of dollars just to scratch it up. If I didn't use the truck off road much, I would definitely paint it stock color. That being said , I really like the the Willow green.
PS. If you are ever driving up Hwy.395 headed towards Bishop or Mammoth Lakes, let me know, I'm in Big Pine, right on the way.
Good advice. I think I have these visions of a nice gleaming cruiser in the drive way but in reality I'm getting this rig back on the road to take the family camping more. I most likely will just buff the paint and save the trade for paint for the next project.
I have a few trips up t the 395 in mind, I'll let you know when that happens.

Picked up a 06 4runner V8 a little bit ago and progress on the FJ60 slowed to a stop.
Ned to get back into it.
I'm going to search this at some point this week but thought I would ask right now just to see...
Does anyone know of a link that describes how to check the valves and prime the engine?
I imagine I'll need to replace the valve cover gasket?

My step father was going to come down to LA to lend a hand and guidance, he has thorough knowledge on these engines, but some health issues have come up.

Thanks @2mountainfish.

Got the fuel tank and spare tire cross-member back in today after cleaning up all the threads. New fuel lines as well.

Did a little searching for paint ideas. Im trading a client some graphic design work for body and paint work.
Im drawn to these Jaguar colors so far.
Willow Green

or Fern Grey/Green

Might look for more brown and copper colors, or just do a respray of the original color.

Great color ! I painted my fj62 a similar color .

4FBEE3C8-3618-4DCF-AB47-0CEC8F2E2B03.jpeg

69438091-A3EF-4157-8199-13FE1F973AFD.jpeg

Damn you @yotafj62 for showing me that. Looks awesome.

Little update, been a while. The cruiser started and is running smooth as can be.
Almost done with the cruiser crap on the floors. I have only been to work on the project an hour at a time here and there.
This weekend Im replacing on the gear oil. As soon as I get the interior in I'll move onto the brakes and then she should be worthy of local drives.

Heres a link to where we started the cruiser for the first time in 15 years or how ever long.

Willow Green all the way!

Damn you @yotafj62 for showing me that. Looks awesome.

Little update, been a while. The cruiser started and is running smooth as can be.
Almost done with the cruiser crap on the floors. I have only been to work on the project an hour at a time here and there.
This weekend Im replacing on the gear oil. As soon as I get the interior in I'll move onto the brakes and then she should be worthy of local drives.

Heres a link to where we started the cruiser for the first time in 15 years or how ever long.

@Jasonredwood did you do anything with the floor or just throw the stock carpet back in? Been trying to find vinyl or rubber flooring might just diy it with some marine vinyl flooring I found

@Jasonredwood did you do anything with the floor or just throw the stock carpet back in? Been trying to find vinyl or rubber flooring might just diy it with some marine vinyl flooring I found

Yeah I bought some brown vinyl flooring @reevesci was selling. Not sure if its still available. I have yet to install mine.
The original carpet was so bad I dont think the time cleaning it would have been worth it.

Well finally took the ol brick on the road yesterday. First tank of gas and shower in 15 years.
Need to finish the interior floor, get a 2" lift and new tires but it drove pretty great.
While hooking up the choke cable to the carb the choke light stopped working, need to look into that.
Oh and get a stereo hooked up. Super pumped on finally getting the cruiser on the road.
Thanks for all the tips and tricks along the way Mud.

beepbeep1.jpg
beepbeep2.jpg

Got around to installing the interior to where it'll stay for a bit.
One layer of cruisercrap through along the floor, doubled up on the trans tunnel.
Same for the thermozite. Doubled up on the trans tunnel and front floor boards.
The vinyl seemed to lay better when the contours of the floors where evened out by the thermozite.
I think the vinyl would form even better if I had used spray glue on it like I did the thermozite.
Also added a dash cap. Think Im going to let it freeride on the dash for a bit.
At least till i get the radio sorted out, then use some velcro or double stick tape.

int1.JPG

int2.JPG

Unseasonably warm weather with the assist on the vinyl laying out.
Im sure it'll lay down even more down the road.

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

A friend of mine is working on some rear cargo and tailgate panels, he offered to make a set and we will split the cost.
Thinking Im going to replace the factory door cards and fabric since they've seen better days and there are speaker holes cut into every one of them.

Threw on some gold steel wheels from an 85 SR5 pickup I bought on a wim.
The wheels actually tie into the seat fabric and tires are in better condition than the ones that were on it when I brought it home.
I actually dont mind the combo. Thinking of pin striping some gold and beige to match the interior and wheels.

wheels1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom