leaking gas from top of tank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That might be one way to get Toyota to look into the issue. They have recalled millions of older vehicles with defective air bags so maybe if it was determined that the gas tanks and/or the emissions Evap systems were defective by design?? IDK.

I believe I have fallen pray to this common leaking in front area stress point... it started yesterday. Bummer.

Same leaking tank issue here in my 97. Ive been doing the 1/2 fill thing for a while. I don't wanna pull & repair only to have it fail again so Im thinking new. Has any one had luck with this tank I found on ebay? $350 sounds a little cheap in our cruiser world. Hoping someone has had good luck with it. I figure buying a new oem one since they all fail is a silly idea. I called the 800 number & got blown off a couple years ago. Hope this thread helps.

$_1.JPG

Without a link to ebay and a picture of some random tank that looks nothing like a 80 series tank, don't expect to get a meaningful answer.

I won't. Its the only 97 landcruiser tank for sale on ebay & the link didn't comer thru with the pic. So be it. Just figured if anyone had purchased a new tank off ebay this would be it, since there's only 1.

Has anyone tryied to pound that corner down with a brass hammer to change the stress to another location? I'm going to try it... then smash some of that puddy stuff in there... hope it will work over the week end.
I even saw a vid that someone shoved bar soap in a tank hole... it must be true it was on youtube... haha.

apparently, I shouldn't fill the tank full :doh:

our 80 seems to have this problem now :rolleyes:

anybody have parts numbers of the little things to replace "while in there" ?

Well, I did a quick & dirty repair... I don't know how long it will last, but it's holding for now.

Well, I did a quick & dirty repair... I don't know how long it will last, but it's holding for now.

I have the same issue on my 93.. I have just been filling it up 3/4 tank and it seems OK. When you dropped the front of the tank did you just remove the front strap only? Also what patch repair did you use? Thanks

I have the same issue on my 93.. I have just been filling it up 3/4 tank and it seems OK. When you dropped the front of the tank did you just remove the front strap only? Also what patch repair did you use? Thanks
JB weld tank putty.
I loosened the rear as much as possible then let got of front strap, it won't fall out the drive line catches it.

JB weld tank putty.
I loosened the rear as much as possible then let got of front strap, it won't fall out the drive line catches it.
Awesome.. Sounds easier then I thought it might be.. I guess once my tank is empty I'll give this a try as well.. Thanks for the tips..

New used tank has been fine so far. This makes 1yr and 1mos; longest working solution to date by far....... now where's that rabbits foot?!?

wow, this is starting to look like a real issue. Fingers crossed

I'll add that my 1996 FZJ80's tank developed a small crack on the top where it is near a frame cross-member, I think do to a hit pushing it up against it. I had it brazed, pressure tested, put it back in service. Then I sold it. :)

I'll add that my 1996 FZJ80's tank developed a small crack on the top where it is near a frame cross-member, I think do to a hit pushing it up against it. I had it brazed, pressure tested, put it back in service. Then I sold it. :)
They all crack in the same spot and toyota North America wants someone to take it Jan and have it repaired, diagnosed and failure tracked by a dealership before they're willing to do anything. It's not from hitting anything. It's from they way the tank was stamped, that area turns out really thin and under a lot of tension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom