LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How does one find the yellow clips that secure the center console for the three ac dial center?

From this page you can get the part you need.

550472K.png

We just did one of these installs with a Phoenix PX6 unit on an 06 LX470. This thread was massively helpful so I wanted to add what I could to it. Zero issues. There are a lot of plugs with a surprising amount of plugs not used. At one point I had the USB plugged in the wrong spot...sorted that out. There was one harness that when plugged in did not allow the AC to function properly...once it was removed, things worked as they should.

I did a VERY simple install....I wanted an updated screen, bluetooth and Android Auto. Have yet to try Android Auto. Unit went in well....no issues with the wires. We do a ton of installs on stuff with tight spaces to put stuff...so not a big deal. Even the side pieces fit nicely. We used the info in this thread to hook up the OEM camera...works as it should. Part of me doing this was a test run on my personal truck so when we do them for clients, we know what we're doing.

I contacted Sergey for his update and let me just say this.....that guy is incredible. We were having some issues getting the firmware in to my unit and he walked me thru it....at least an hour or so we were on messenger getting it figured out. He got me all dialed in and his setup is extremely nice. Can't get over how much time he spent with me. There are so many things you can do with this system....I'm keeping mine basic. I was able to figure out how to adjust the AC from the steering wheel buttons which is kind of cool.

The LX470 is a new addition to my fleet so I'll start putting miles on it and better be able to play around with the unit. The speakers in my truck were all blown....so we'll be fixing those up. I'll be interested to see how it sounds. I am NOT an audio guy so it doesn't take much to impress me.

20210326_130800.jpg

We just did one of these installs with a Phoenix PX6 unit on an 06 LX470. This thread was massively helpful so I wanted to add what I could to it. Zero issues. There are a lot of plugs with a surprising amount of plugs not used. At one point I had the USB plugged in the wrong spot...sorted that out. There was one harness that when plugged in did not allow the AC to function properly...once it was removed, things worked as they should.

I did a VERY simple install....I wanted an updated screen, bluetooth and Android Auto. Have yet to try Android Auto. Unit went in well....no issues with the wires. We do a ton of installs on stuff with tight spaces to put stuff...so not a big deal. Even the side pieces fit nicely. We used the info in this thread to hook up the OEM camera...works as it should. Part of me doing this was a test run on my personal truck so when we do them for clients, we know what we're doing.

I contacted Sergey for his update and let me just say this.....that guy is incredible. We were having some issues getting the firmware in to my unit and he walked me thru it....at least an hour or so we were on messenger getting it figured out. He got me all dialed in and his setup is extremely nice. Can't get over how much time he spent with me. There are so many things you can do with this system....I'm keeping mine basic. I was able to figure out how to adjust the AC from the steering wheel buttons which is kind of cool.

The LX470 is a new addition to my fleet so I'll start putting miles on it and better be able to play around with the unit. The speakers in my truck were all blown....so we'll be fixing those up. I'll be interested to see how it sounds. I am NOT an audio guy so it doesn't take much to impress me.

View attachment 2627491
I have an ‘06 Cruiser, everything works except I can’t activate the rear heater? What harness did you take out again, and what problems did you experience?

I have an ‘06 Cruiser, everything works except I can’t activate the rear heater? What harness did you take out again, and what problems did you experience?
I'll have to look at the harness....it was as small one with a pink wire. I never tried the original rear climate control on the truck to know how it all works. I really don't care about the rear heat/cooling to be honest....didn't even know it had anything back there until my employee who also has a 470 showed me where the panel was to control it :)

Fader?

So mine has the built in DSP, but if I mute the front speakers, the rear mutes too? In console I can adjust volume front to rear, but not in DSP?
What gives?

Installed Sergey’s update on mine last night, after having this almost a year I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner. It fixes some minor annoyances and corrects some things that have just never worked. Also has some cool themes and customizable images. Highly recommend -

Tucker

Has anyone found a bluetooth dongle that will allow communication for data. I have some devices (garmin dashcam, garmin inreach, trigger controller) that would be cool to work from the unit rather than my phone. I know you can get an OBD2 dongle for Torque, etc. and I know the unit inherently does bluetooth audio/phone. But i've not been successful in getting it to pair with any other device. Hoping someone found one rather than me trying to buy a bunch of different dongles to see what works.

View attachment 2627491

Which unit did you end up getting and from what vendor? Looking to do the same install on my 04. Thanks!

Installed Sergey’s update on mine last night, after having this almost a year I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner. It fixes some minor annoyances and corrects some things that have just never worked. Also has some cool themes and customizable images. Highly recommend -

Tucker
Sergey's update is really nice. Great setup.....hopefully your install went easier than mine. I never thought to tell him I was using a Mac to download things....made it more challenging because I have no idea what I'm doing with stuff like this.

Which unit did you end up getting and from what vendor? Looking to do the same install on my 04. Thanks!
I bought it direct from Phoenix Automotive. Easy to deal with.

Couple of questions for the group - does anyone know how to change the trip computer from L/km to MPG? Doesn’t seem to follow settings on main screen. Second - a while back my button on the top corner that brings up all open apps stopped working, is there another way to view/close background apps on these?

thx!

I’ve got a 2002 LC with Nan and a 6 disc DVD player, and after reading thru various threads it looks like if I want to install a Tesla type head unit, I need to complete the pre-03 nan delete (re-wire everything to the right harness configuration), and then I can install the Tesla type unit? Is this correct? Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Tucker
DUDE!!!!!!! I just did the same.. what a difference. If you didn't update zlink to version 3.7.6 or better, Sergey has it and sent it to me just now and I have the px6 version 8.1 android fyi

View attachment 2627491
Sergey walked me through my update as well. Turns out this unit is really working well and I'm 100% satisfied with how everything is working and connecting with no problems..

Sergey walked me through my update as well. Turns out this unit is really working well and I'm 100% satisfied with how everything is working and connecting with no problems..

He's a good guy and super helpful.

I've been working on tuning my system to sound a little better. Replaced the midrange speakers and rebuilt the subwoofer. Pretty happy with where I'm at now. Not quite what I had in my 570 but it will do. I ended up replacing the door midranges with some 8ohm units from Amazon. I tried to re-place the foam on the speakers but I think they were maybe too far gone to be repaired. The sub worked and one door speaker but the rest of them sucked. Should have just done new from the get-go.

Last edited:
He's a good guy and super helpful.

I've been working on tuning my system to sound a little better. Replaced the midrange speakers and rebuilt the subwoofer. Pretty happy with where I'm at now. Not quite what I hadn't in my 570 but it will do. I ended up replacing the door midranges with some 8ohm units from Amazon. I tried to re-place the foam on the speakers but I think they were maybe too far gone to be repaired. The sub worked and one door speaker but the rest of them sucked. Should have just done new from the get-go.
I went new from the go get.
replaced the amp for more power and all the speakers and sub.
I had more difficulty with the sound before updating the firmware. Since, I’ve ben quite satisfied. The controls are limited after you take the sub out the console controls and code 8861 controls don’t work for sound adjustments. I’m finding my way tho. Good luck going forward.

I went new from the go get.
replaced the amp for more power and all the speakers and sub.
I had more difficulty with the sound before updating the firmware. Since, I’ve ben quite satisfied. The controls are limited after you take the sub out the console controls and code 8861 controls don’t work for sound adjustments. I’m finding my way tho. Good luck going forward.
No more forward for me.....I'm happy with everything. I confirmed I had Android Auto today.....all good.

Thank you all for this extremely helpful thread. I have read through it a few times and now find myself in the middle of installing a PX6 Android 9 unit from Phoenix Automotive in my 2005 LC. The tech support at Phoenix helped me get past some basic issues and I feel like my unit is fully functional. I dug the hole deeper and decided to replace the factory amp with the Kenwood unit mentioned earlier in this thread and I also intend to tap the factory camera to tie into the PX6. I do have a few questions after getting under the passenger seat today:
  • The Kenwood amp seems to fit almost too perfectly into the factory bracket if I can remove the nav unit completely. Is there any reason to keep the nav components under the passenger seat with this new system? Anything I need to do with the wiring for the factory nav if I remove it?
  • I have the JBL 86280-0W061 factory amp with what appears to be the SN-6 and SN-7 plugs which doesn’t really seem to go with my 05 LC with factory nav, but the plugs are the 16 and 14 pin connections. I have not found an aftermarket harness adapter that would connect to the factory plugs and prevent the need to cut the factory harness. Do most people just cut the factory speaker output wires and connect them to the new amp? On another website I read something about needing to tie together some of the connections in the plugs to maintain power, accessory and ground to the head unit. All this hacking and splicing of the factory harness makes me nervous. I’d really appreciate some advice here from people that have replaced this factory amp with an aftermarket option.
I really appreciate all that have contributed to this thread and I intend to add some of my experience once complete. Thanks again!

Thank you all for this extremely helpful thread. I have read through it a few times and now find myself in the middle of installing a PX6 Android 9 unit from Phoenix Automotive in my 2005 LC. The tech support at Phoenix helped me get past some basic issues and I feel like my unit is fully functional. I dug the hole deeper and decided to replace the factory amp with the Kenwood unit mentioned earlier in this thread and I also intend to tap the factory camera to tie into the PX6. I do have a few questions after getting under the passenger seat today:
  • The Kenwood amp seems to fit almost too perfectly into the factory bracket if I can remove the nav unit completely. Is there any reason to keep the nav components under the passenger seat with this new system? Anything I need to do with the wiring for the factory nav if I remove it?
  • I have the JBL 86280-0W061 factory amp with what appears to be the SN-6 and SN-7 plugs which doesn’t really seem to go with my 05 LC with factory nav, but the plugs are the 16 and 14 pin connections. I have not found an aftermarket harness adapter that would connect to the factory plugs and prevent the need to cut the factory harness. Do most people just cut the factory speaker output wires and connect them to the new amp? On another website I read something about needing to tie together some of the connections in the plugs to maintain power, accessory and ground to the head unit. All this hacking and splicing of the factory harness makes me nervous. I’d really appreciate some advice here from people that have replaced this factory amp with an aftermarket option.
I really appreciate all that have contributed to this thread and I intend to add some of my experience once complete. Thanks again!
Update - I found the Metra 70-8116 Amp Bypass cable that looks like it will at least keep me from needing to cut up the speaker out side (SN-6) of the harness. Still looks like I may need to do some taps and splices but I think I can do it with jumpers so they can just be cut if there was a need to go back to factory.

I’ve got a 2002 LC with Nan and a 6 disc DVD player, and after reading thru various threads it looks like if I want to install a Tesla type head unit, I need to complete the pre-03 nan delete (re-wire everything to the right harness configuration), and then I can install the Tesla type unit? Is this correct? Thanks everyone for all the great info!
No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom