Land Rover jump seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm really digging those seats @White Stripe! I've always thought of doing something similar with the 3rd row seats from the FJ80s. I think what you did here though is really nice. you have pics when they're both folded up?
I'm still waiting on the straps to hold them in the folded position. Once I get them I will snap a pic.

When they're folded up, how much room do the floor brackets take up? They look kind of clunky. (?)
This is the only pic I have of an installed floor mount. They are about 1" wide x 3" tall by 10" long. I mostly just have camping gear back their and some tool boxes. These shouldn't get in the way for my needs. Plus I can use them as anchors to tie heavy stuff to the floor, like a spare drive shaft or something.
IMG_20160724_181718706.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the 40 I saw on ebay that had these seats. I was trying to copy his design, but they are low resolution pics. I am not sure how he did it this was way and still had a solidly mounted seat that wouldnt fly off in a rollover or a impact. But like I said they are low resolution so its hard to tell whats going on. I ended up just doing my own design, Im sure their are other ways to do it, some of those ways might be better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Toyota...GIbwxlEZd5L0boFi0YTug%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

From what I've read and seen, 80 series seats are too big.

I've got seats from a Mitsubishi Pajero to go in. They are similar to the Rover seats, but have a lower back. Perhaps less comfortable but they fold up super small and hopefully tight.

It looks like the one in the link either uses a different year jump seat and it has latches that are attached to it and used when it folds down or the seat was modified to use latches that secure it in the unfolded position. I also see that they did not use or have the same stock brackets to secure the seat to the wheel wells. It looks like they just used a piece of angle iron on the edge of the wheel well where it hinges to unfold.

From what I've read and seen, 80 series seats are too big.

I've got seats from a Mitsubishi Pajero to go in. They are similar to the Rover seats, but have a lower back. Perhaps less comfortable but they fold up super small and hopefully tight.
Pics? Never seen pajero seats.

It looks like the one in the link either uses a different year jump seat and it has latches that are attached to it and used when it folds down or the seat was modified to use latches that secure it in the unfolded position. I also see that they did not use or have the same stock brackets to secure the seat to the wheel wells. It looks like they just used a piece of angle iron on the edge of the wheel well where it hinges to unfold.
I think all those style jump seats are the same. Looks like angle iron but i don't know how it's attached to the seats.

Random Picture form the web...

Pajero.jpg

Sellers pic of the ones I picked up...
Pajero 2.jpg

pajero 3.jpg

So while working on my rear seats, I have also been looking into changing out my cheap racing seats. While fairly comfortable, I want something with more adjustments-especially lumbar. Found a set of old mr2 seats in great shape and all manual adjustments so I don't have to wire anything. Most importantly the bottom cushion isn't too tall. When I first mocked up mounts and sat in them I decided I wanted them angled more to better support the whole thigh to reduce leg fatigue. Here it is, the headrest I left in my other vehicle but I have it. This is super comfy like this...
IMG_20160730_221420764.jpg

They look great!
I'm looking into rear seating solutions for my 40.
How much space is between the seats? I was thinking ARB, but it might be a good spot for armrest/tool box.
How is the head room i.e. measurement from seat cushion to soft top?

They look great!
I'm looking into rear seating solutions for my 40.
How much space is between the seats? I was thinking ARB, but it might be a good spot for armrest/tool box.
How is the head room i.e. measurement from seat cushion to soft top?
Thanks! Im pretty happy with them. I worked on installing them as I had time. In between shop time and regular life time I acquired a supertop soft top to replace my old kayline soft top. With the kayline I hit my head on the rear bow-Im 6"1. The Best top has a lot more room in the back, and I can sit comfortably back their with several inches of headroom to spare. I have a full cage added to the stock roll bar up front in my cruiser. In the back I havent made any cage mods, its just the stock 2 hoops that go above rear tubs which you can see in my earlier pics. If I made a full rear cage it would greatly restrict head room. Thats why I went with 2point belts in the rear. In a roll it gives the occupants in the back a chance to bend down. I don't know how it would be with a hard top. In between the cushions their is about 8" or so. Enough for a skinny person to squeeze through. Their is not much space back their, so it just depends on what compromises you want to make for passenger comfort and packaging.

Very nice install and I like how the seat paint turned out. My kids love riding in the back, but even with roll bar padding, the stock sideways jump seats just lack a little safety for my liking. I'm going to try this setup. Thanks for the good write up.
Just keep in mind that the left seat did require a bit of fabrication to modify it to fit like it fits now. Also a little knowledge of how automotive upholstery is put together helps. The right side was pretty easy. I would say though that if I did it again, I would have just dropped the cash on a set of seats that were black already. They had some on ebay, but they were twice the price of what I paid for the tan ones. These seats are pretty complex, modifying a single component on them affects how everything else on the seat operates and unfolds. The seat someone posted up in post #15 looks like a much easier design to install but Im sure they charge a arm and a leg for those seats.

Kudos to this modification and write up! Based on your build I bought a set of defender 2007 jumpseats yesterday. This conversion writeup was exactly what I needed. They are a bit different in styling and the bracket looks also a bit different. Will keep track of the build progress in my build thread.
Thanks for the tip.

Randowm internet photos of the seats.
Jeffry

08.JPG

020035.1-lg.jpg

Kudos to this modification and write up! Based on your build I bought a set of defender 2007 jumpseats yesterday. This conversion writeup was exactly what I needed. They are a bit different in styling and the bracket looks also a bit different. Will keep track of the build progress in my build thread.
Thanks for the tip.

Randowm internet photos of the seats.
Jeffry

View attachment 1300852

View attachment 1300853
Wow hope they work for u!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom