Builds Land Crusher Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great craftmanship by another enthusiatic 100 series owner. I am not that skilled on the tools and ordered up a kit from Huracan out of Australia. Just in the process of finishing the fit up.
Would be keen to source an appropriate tail gate assist kit that would work for our Cruiser. With a convenient storage space in the the tailgate i am likely to jamb it full of must-have gear, as you do, including jumper leads (for other less reliable brands & rigs), basic tools, recovery gear, the frequently accessed stuff mostly. The tailgate is getting heavy just thinking about it. There are a number of companies around that do a tail assist kit but have not found one that fits a 100 series. Should have started another thread on this issue but this is the next logical extension of a tail gate storage install so make the comment here. Please give us all a heads up if some one finds one or manages to successfully adapt an existing kit for our purpose on a 100 series.

Post up when you get your kit installed! Would love to see it.

I have been working on a tailgate assist but haven't had much luck. A company called DeeZee sells kits but they haven't been able to help me at all, they don't seem to be willing to give me dimensions on any of there products. I have one from them but it's still too long, we need a really short, pull type hydraulic arm, I have found a few sources with sizes that I think should work... but they are insanely expensive (~$100 per)

Post up when you get your kit installed! Would love to see it.

I have been working on a tailgate assist but haven't had much luck. A company called DeeZee sells kits but they haven't been able to help me at all, they don't seem to be willing to give me dimensions on any of there products. I have one from them but it's still too long, we need a really short, pull type hydraulic arm, I have found a few sources with sizes that I think should work... but they are insanely expensive (~$100 per)

I want to add, the deezee is just a shock absorber, it won't make the gate feel any lighter... I am trying to brain storm ideas on how to rig up something elegant, but there aren't many options. Anyone have any ideas?

I mounted some rotopax for our upcoming trip to death valley, only 6gal, but it is better than nothing. The pack on the inside of the ladder is really close to the glass, so we will see how this pans out... I am going to put some sticky backed rubber on there to help lessen the blow in the event it rattles into itself. If anyone is interested, I can take pictures of the mounts. I basically opened up the two small holes, for 1/4 - 20 X 2" grade 8 bolts, made 1 5/8" standoffs out of some aluminum tube, and bolted them around the ladder rung.

IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG
IMG_6155.JPG

I mounted some rotopax for our upcoming trip to death valley, only 6gal, but it is better than nothing. The pack on the inside of the ladder is really close to the glass, so we will see how this pans out... I am going to put some sticky backed rubber on there to help lessen the blow in the event it rattles into itself. If anyone is interested, I can take pictures of the mounts. I basically opened up the two small holes, for 1/4 - 20 X 2" grade 8 bolts, made 1 5/8" standoffs out of some aluminum tube, and bolted them around the ladder rung.

View attachment 1653146 View attachment 1653147 View attachment 1653148

The inside tank officially hit’s the glass over bumpy sections. Have a few ideas to remedy, will report back

Progress... @ikarus what chu think? Still need to install rivnuts in the swingout for the lower mount and get the hold downs installed. I bent some 1.25 X 1/8" steel that will mount through the cooler, will weld some all thread to is and use a nut to keep the cooler locked down, will be able to mount a small padlock through the all thread
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6200.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG

I think it's looking great. How's it going to be held on?
Here is what I'm currently working on.... I am thinking I'll put a peice of tubing over one of the turnbuckles with a lock through a hole in the flat bar to keep the turnbuckle covered, should do a decent job of securing it.

IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

VERY nice! Would love to get the plans for that. Would work great on my future SLEE rear bumper. Now, if only it was a "swing-out" so one wouldn't lose the ladder functionality.

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it so far. I think the tie down method needs some work, I’d like to use a toggle clamp, we’ll see.

Do you have any CAD software? I have a fusion360 model I can send you. I’d even be willing to bend up the tubes for you if you don’t have a bender :)

That's a good idea. Don't know if you've used those Rotopax before but they really swell up in the hot sun / weather.

First time with the rotopax, one of them is already leaking...

First time with the rotopax, one of them is already leaking...
I use 3, 3 gallon ones flat on the roof. I had some leaking, however I made a fix. I put some 220 sandpaper on a flat hard sanding block and flattened the threaded face where the gasket makes contact. This provided a better sealing surface with less cap force. I also burp them as the temps move up. I pay close attention to them for the 1st hour after I fill them and put them on the roof. Good Luck.....

upload_2018-3-21_13-47-57-1.png

Might be the camera angle but it looks like the two outer gas cans would easily get lopped off on a tight trail. Plus, it blocks your tail light. If sticking with Rotopax's, I'd probably opt to mount it on the spare tire with the spout on top.
297a63454e667f111cb36c542afb6759.jpg

Below might be okay too...

b5cb8be7f62dda897341924bd5d2957e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom