KZJ78 Battery Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 that green thing

1996 KZJ78 Prado
Threads
Im new to the 70's if this has been discussed at length before I apologize. When I took posession of my 96 Prado the battery in it was an undersized group 34 Autozone special. It works but was loose and too small in the battery tray and didn't leave me any confidence adding accessories like ARB Intensity LED lights and a winch, fridge, etc. it would perform good enough.

I read somewhere the group 27 is the correct size but I took measurements of the battery tray and the battery cover and was unable to get anything that was an accurate fit in the lead acid group 27 batteries at my local auto parts stores. Many have plastic extrusions that would not allow proper fitment even though the main body of the battery was good. I have always heard Odyssey batteries are high quality so I found their group 27 had the right dimensions and got one shipped to my door in just a few days. I got this thing fitted tonight and it fits like a glove. Feels like I am taking full advantage of the OEM battery tray space and I am happier with the CCA and Amp hours so I hope to get many years of good use. I am posting here to help anyone out that is questioning the same. I have heard the toyota charging system doesn't put out enough volts to top these off fully, any thoughts or experience on that?

Does anyone have any info on a dual battery setup or spare tray they want to get rid of? I tracked down the part numbers for the OEM second tray and they all seem to be discontinued and NLA.

20211229_203022.jpg

20211229_203454.jpg

20211229_204702.jpg

Last edited:
@OGBeno Can you steer me to where I could find those parts? I've seen the 2nd battery back near the fire wall by the fuel filter on other vehicles. I don't know why mine wasn't equipped with one or maybe it was and has been removed. Thanks

Last edited:
@OGBeno Can you steer me to where I could find those parts? I've seen the 2nd battery back near the fire wall by the fuel filter on other vehicles. I don't know why mine wasn't equipped with one or maybe it was and has been removed. Thanks
One battery because I believe all LJ/KJ (light duty) are 12V and only came one battery. The Japan market “heavy duty “ cruisers I believe are 24V so came with two batteries.

I am not sure the year they moved the heavy duty land cruisers to 12v, but mine is a 12v - and I still have 2 batteries. Great to have during the cold winter months!

OP - pending on how you lay out your accessories, if you have the room to add a second battery in the engine bay, then that saves room in the vehicle. But others on MUD have added an accessory battery to part of their build in the rear of their Land Cruiser to power fridge, lights, etc. Many options out there, it really depends on your preference and plans!

Light duty 70 series did come with the option of a dual battery setup. They were placed in parallel, not series.

Mine has only single battery and it's never been a problem. I run a good quality interstate brand. Honestly I like less weight and more space anyhow, so single is my preference.

Im new to the 70's if this has been discussed at length before I apologize. When I took posession of my 96 Prado the battery in it was an undersized group 34 Autozone special. It works but was loose and too small in the battery tray and didn't leave me any confidence adding accessories like ARB Intensity LED lights and a winch, fridge, etc. it would perform good enough.

I read somewhere the group 27 is the correct size but I took measurements of the battery tray and the battery cover and was unable to get anything that was an accurate fit in the lead acid group 27 batteries at my local auto parts stores. Many have plastic extrusions that would not allow proper fitment even though the main body of the battery was good. I have always heard Odyssey batteries are high quality so I found their group 27 had the right dimensions and got one shipped to my door in just a few days. I got this thing fitted tonight and it fits like a glove. Feels like I am taking full advantage of the OEM battery tray space and I am happier with the CCA and Amp hours so I hope to get many years of good use. I am posting here to help anyone out that is questioning the same. I have heard the toyota charging system doesn't put out enough volts to top these off fully, any thoughts or experience on that?

Does anyone have any info on a dual battery setup or spare tray they want to get rid of? I tracked down the part numbers for the OEM second tray and they all seem to be discontinued and NLA.

View attachment 2878605

View attachment 2878606

View attachment 2878607
Thank you so much for posting this.
I have a 1995 KZJ78 Japanese import. It came with 2 batteries (95D26R a Japanese spec I guess) performed well during summer but I had issues with it in Fall weather and on.
Wheen I came upon this thread, I did a bit more digging and the Group 27 is definitely the correct size for main battery box but the 2nd battery box is smaller Group 24. I got the Advanced Auto Parts brand and so far so good.
Conclusion:
KZJ78 Japanese import with OE 2 batteries
1st battery group size 27F
2nd battery group size 24R
Hope this will help someone else.
20231105_085959.jpg

No I do not have the electrical diagram. the batteries are connected in parallel. I can send the pix of the connections if that will help.

Thank you so much for posting this.
I have a 1995 KZJ78 Japanese import. It came with 2 batteries (95D26R a Japanese spec I guess) performed well during summer but I had issues with it in Fall weather and on.
Wheen I came upon this thread, I did a bit more digging and the Group 27 is definitely the correct size for main battery box but the 2nd battery box is smaller Group 24. I got the Advanced Auto Parts brand and so far so good.
Conclusion:
KZJ78 Japanese import with OE 2 batteries
1st battery group size 27F
2nd battery group size 24R
Hope this will help someone else.
The Toyota parts diagram shows the dual battery option with both batteries being 85D26R and having their terminals inboard. This matches my Just-off-the-Boat 1995 KZJ78. The parts listings show the standard battery as a single 105D31R which is 305mm long vs the 85D26R at 260mm long. It wouldn't surprise me if the front battery tray were the same for both options allowing a larger front battery. If anyone wants a group 27 battery with the factory terminal orientation get the 27 instead of the 27F. This is the first I've seen of 24R. There's a 24F, but it has the opposite post orientation to the battery pictured. If group 24 fits that's great, but the specs I'm seeing show it to be about 3/4" taller than the 85D26R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom