Knock Sensor Re-wiring guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a pictures or a how to for re-wiring a 3vze Knock sensor circuit? I'm thinking about doing this soon to turn Code 52 off.

Thanks,
Chad

There's actually a section of the 3vze harness for the knock sensor that you can replace. Toyota still stocks then as well.

That would be the section under the intake manifold.

82219-89103, 89-91
82219-35010, 92-95

If this wire will not plug into the sensor the engine has been replaced with a different model year or the sensor has been replaced with a different model year. I have faced the no-fit issue in the past and it became more frequent as the vehicles aged. Thus allowing more opportunities for used engine swaps.

That would be the section under the intake manifold.

82219-89103, 89-91
82219-35010, 92-95

If this wire will not plug into the sensor the engine has been replaced with a different model year or the sensor has been replaced with a different model year. I have faced the no-fit issue in the past and it became more frequent as the vehicles aged. Thus allowing more opportunities for used engine swaps.

Dan, does the 22RE also use a replaceable section? I seem to recall when I had the harness out it was just one wire.

No, that one is part of the engine wiring harness.

Thanks y'all. I plan on pulling the intake and checking on the knock sensor while I'm at it. I believe the wire that runs to the ECU is bad as well because in the summer it intermittently throws code 52, but during the winter it throws it every time. I found one write up that mentions using co-ax cable to run from the pigtail to the ECU, so thats what I'll try to do.

I might as well give an update. Instead of pulling the plenum, I welded a nut to the nearby engine hook, mounted the knock sensor, then rewired with coax cable back to the ecu and voilà...no code 52! I know this way is more controversial, but I run this vehicle easy and at 300,000 miles it was hard to justify sacrificing a weekend working on the 4runner instead of the 40. :banana::cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom