Just picked up a 1978 FJ40...or what's left of one! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
Hey guys!

My brother and I just picked up a 1978 FJ40 this last weekend. Both Toyota guys but I’ve never owned one and tend to hang around the mini-truck forum, but we saw this thing for sale a couple weeks ago and just had to have it.

mGrqlK.jpg

After meeting the owner and talking to him over a couple of drinks, we negotiated a price, put down a deposit and made plans for us to pick it up when we were back up in a couple of weeks. Here are the specs:

40” Bias ply tires
5.29 gears with Detroit locker in rear, trac-loc in the front
Full cage and 4 point harnesses tied into it
Longfield front axles, shackle reversal kit installed, custom steering setup
4” Rough Country lift kit w/ custom rear shackle
Stock 1978 Drivetrain (2F, 4 speed) with 83k documented original miles, factory PS :eek:
Custom tub with full cage going around

We had the original owner drop it off at my parents place in the White Mountains where I quickly got to work on it. When he sold it to us he told me it had a bad slave cylinder and even included a new one, so I was able to start it (after a jump) and drive it to the barn to get the slave replaced and keep me out of the rain. Took only a matter of minutes and it’s really an easy job when you can fit your head in the entire wheel well!

QaDAPU.jpg

ab6oMb.jpg

Got it replaced and bled and it was nice to have a clutch again! Took it for a short drive down the pasture and once it started raining really hard, it died right outside the barn. It would start up but I couldn’t get it to idle and after confirming it had gas realized it was very, very VERY old gas. We limped it over to the barn again and we subsequently pumped all the old gas out of the tank. I took the top of the carburetor off and emptied the fuel bowl and replaced it with some fresh 91 octane. It really liked that and started up! Without hesitation my brother hopped in the thing and drove it up the mountain. It did awesome!

reVF4T.jpg

KACgAT.jpg

n8HCIZ.jpg

Spent the next couple of days driving it up and down the mountain and took it on some gnarly trails. It runs surprisingly cool, the mechanical temp gauge had it averaging 170 degrees as we bombed it up and over rocks. Wish I had some more pictures but I was too busy driving! The thing does really well off-road, but with 40” tires it is super sketchy. The fastest I was able to go (and was still sketchy at that) was 43 MPH. It literally just darts all over the road. We’ll be fixing that with a steering ram soon! But before I could do that I needed to get it back to Tucson where I can actually work on the thing.

2yMSci.jpg

I loaded it up on a U-Haul yesterday and started the drive home. It was really uneventful, but we did some massive amounts of hail in northern New Mexico as we passed through!

p72Q38.jpg

u4K0eM.jpg

AdVkAc.jpg

Got it home late last night and unloaded it. She started right up and drove right off the trailer. From my observations we’ve got a little bit of work to do. So far here’s my list:

-Steering ram assist to help with the 40’s
-Transfer case is leaking really badly
-Some front hub studs have broken off – will replace with Grade 8’s
-Cage needs to be reinforced and gusseted
-Knuckles need to be rebuilt
-Could use spark plugs and an oil change
-Needs to have a proper spare mount (one on it is sketchy)
-Needs new lights and a CB
-Warn 8274 down the road

I’ll post up here as much as I can and when we cross projects off the list. I don’t know if this thread should go into the Hardcore section instead, but I figured I’d start here since I’ll be asking for help at some point. This cruiser is so much fun and it came with a good amount of original parts too. I’m excited to finally own a FJ40 especially given how cheap this was compared to what else is out there. Once my brother and I are done thrashing on this thing, we do plan on getting an Aqualu tub and putting it back together, but that’s a couple years down the road,

Thanks for reading and happy to be the proud owner of a 1978 FJ40, or what’s left of one!

Check to see if there is a shim under the front axle to correct the caster after the 4” lift.

That could be the reason for your sketchy steering.

Check to see if there is a shim under the front axle to correct the caster after the 4” lift.

That could be the reason for your sketchy steering.

I'll definitely check that out! I would think the lift kit would come with one but who knows.

Glad to see this thread started. Are you still planning on swapping out the tires or are you keeping them now?

I think we're going to stick with the 40's. There's a 35 as a spare and it's DINKY. There's no way they would look right or perform well on this rig. With the 5.29's the gearing is really nice, and the speedometer is dead nuts. It's well dialed for the 40's so I think we'll just keep them for now. The body has already been hacked for them so no sense in getting rid of them now I guess!

That is if we can get the steering fixed with the 40's..

Check tie rod ends, improved my ‘78 tremendously!

Congrats on the purchase. I have always liked those outlaw rims :cool::cool:

Where can u get the shims?

You can get the steel shims from @orangefj45

Solid mud vendor.

You need to do some measuring to see if you even need to install shims, there may be other issues.

Thx sorry for hijack, what direction do they go? And is there any other way to adjust caster as I just bought rig not sure what PO did after HFS lift?
Thicker end forward .

That’s the only way, if you don’t want to cut&turn hubs or install shackle reversal kit. Also longer shackles cause less caster. You’ll need some positive caster, the bigger tires the bigger caster is needed.
You need to do some measuring to see if you even need to install shims, there may be other issues.
Looks like there is done a shackle reversal. So, there is a possibility the caster is right.

Thicker end forward .

That’s the only way, if you don’t want to cut&turn hubs or install shackle reversal kit. Also longer shackles cause less caster. You’ll need some positive caster, the bigger tires the bigger caster is needed.

Looks like there is done a shackle reversal. So, there is a possibility the caster is right.

Yes the truck does have a shackle reversal on it. I checked last night and saw no shims. Either way I'm going to take it to a guy in town who does excellent alignment work and see what he thinks it needs. He specializes in aligning off-road rigs and is really, really good!

My brother and I did some more work to it yesterday. We changed the plugs & put in a new coil. We took off the broken off-road lights, fixed the interior dash light and I flipped the bezel. :flipoff2:

LdPcHm.jpg

Took it to my alignment guru today. He aligned the toe, and tightened the bolt on the pitman arm. I guess it was really, REALLY loose. Feels a lot better but he had some more recommendations:

-Replace drag link end to pitman arm with Heim joint
-Replace leaf spring bushings

The caster on the thing was -6, which is really not good. He recommended cutting and rewelding the spring perches at a more appropriate angle to help fix that. He did not recommend going with shims, it would take too many to bring it to spec.

Looks like I got my work cut out for me!

Replace drag link end to pitman arm with Heim joint

This is not good advice if he didn't also mention it would require a new pitman that puts the joint in double shear.

This is not good advice if he didn't also mention it would require a new pitman that puts the joint in double shear.

He didn't need to, mainly because he knows me too well and that I would handle it properly. I would like to run a double shear pitman arm but I have seen people running single shear with Heims. Not preferred but we'll see what I decide to do. I may just replace it with another ball joint end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom