Just picked up a 1978 FJ40...or what's left of one! (1 Viewer)

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Once you get the caster and pinion angle sorted out, you likely wouldn't need a heim joint solution.

I'm hoping not, it's pretty low on the list. It's already made a huge difference just having the pinion nut tightened up.

Who would've thought that having a loose pitman arm would cause the steering to suck...

OldRocDoc

SILVER Star
The caster on the thing was -6, which is really not good.

OUCH - looks like a shackle reversal without the traditional "cut and turn".

The guy who:
recommended cutting and rewelding the spring perches at a more appropriate angle to help fix tha
has no business working on this rig.

There are some good off-road shops in Tuscon --- find them

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
OUCH - looks like a shackle reversal without the traditional "cut and turn".

The guy who: has no business working on this rig.

There are some good off-road shops in Tuscon --- find them

That's exactly what happened. Just did the shackle reversal and nothing else. Granted the shackle reversal looked like it was done well in and of itself, it wasn't done completely hence our horrible caster.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast

Unfortunately no real updates as of yet. I installed a new battery in it last week only to find all the brake fluid in the clutch master was gone. So now I have to bleed the lines. I've got a couple things left to do on my mini-truck and my Ford and then this thing will be getting the TLC it needs!

D21FJ60

I'll get to it
Unfortunately no real updates as of yet. I installed a new battery in it last week only to find all the brake fluid in the clutch master was gone. So now I have to bleed the lines. I've got a couple things left to do on my mini-truck and my Ford and then this thing will be getting the TLC it needs!
:rolleyes: c'monnnn hurrry up

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
New seats huh?

Yeah the ones that are in it right now aren't very good because they don't slide! So it's fixed seating which is really annoying. The seats are out of a Datsun 280z and have the sliders but I haven't gotten them yet...waiting on my friend to get the racing buckets to replace them..can't complain too much right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom