Just get her drivable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love Alcans. I have a pair on the rear of mine that I picked up back in ‘08. Been needing to get fronts, but it’s been so long now that I’m contemplating an entire new set. The fronts will have to be about two inches longer from center-pin to rear. Not that that has one goddam thing to do with this thread.
Thanks for the info!

Working on the rear gate/window weatherstrip. It was all dry/cracked/gone.

Had to repair a bit of rust. Got some generic edge trim, a used 80 series hatch seal, Slocruiser inner tailgate window run, and a first gen 4runner lower window wiper. Tried to make it all fit. The lower window wiper is supposed to be retrofitted to reuse the metal strips and push clips....I tried that but gave up....ended up breaking a few of the clips, so I glued it on, kinda. We will see how it holds. The rest of the trim looks pretty good.

IMG_20180610_115003262.jpg

IMG_20180610_115035167_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180610_162041342_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180615_211351085.jpg

IMG_20180615_211356847_LL.jpg

So the wiper isn't ideal, and I believe is due to the way I mounted it. You're supposed to reuse the 2 metal strips and the 12 push clips to hold it on. I tried that but couldn't get the last 3 push clips installed, broke a couple, and got frustrated. So I mocked it up and used weatherstrip adhesive to glue it on, basically by eye/feel. After the glue dried I saw that it wasn't up against the rear window when closed, so I need to investigate. And you can see that the body pushes the lower strip away from the window when tbe gate is closed. 1st draft.

IMG_20180620_071046761_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180620_071253396_LL.jpg

IMG_20180620_071311853_LL.jpg

IMG_20180620_071333845_LL.jpg

I know, like all of my threads, there is a lot of sidebar bs but in my signature I have a thread on the AFI install on my FJ60. Maybe it will help.

Yes, and I've read it multiple times. I appreciate all of the threads on all of your trucks. I've learned quite a bit.

First order of biz is to get the O2 sensor bung and cat converter welded in. Gonna try a cheap generic cat (flowmaster) and see how I like it.

So after my lift install, I'm getting a high frequency driveline vibration from 30-50 mph. Only while on the throttle though. If I push the clutch in while at speed, it really calms down, not completely, but very faint.

Should I put some shims in to turn the pinion up a bit? I did not modify the driveshaft any, or change any U joints. Has anyone else had to deal with driveline vibes with the OME kit?

Cat makes a position difference.

Working on AFI install now, so expect a barrage of pics and questions.

First, I have 4 vacuum ports on the front of my TBI....can these all be capped? Or use one for the MAP sensor?

Also, which nipple does the fuel intake line hook to?

Also, what is the other computer looking box, and where does that mount?

Thanks

IMG_20180721_173242765_LL.jpg

IMG_20180721_174648711.jpg

Cat makes a position difference.

Working on AFI install now, so expect a barrage of pics and questions.

First, I have 4 vacuum ports on the front of my TBI....can these all be capped? Or use one for the MAP sensor?

Also, which nipple does the fuel intake line hook to?

Also, what is the other computer looking box, and where does that mount?

Thanks

View attachment 1749381

View attachment 1749383

@FJ60Cam did the newest AFI you installed have this black box? Mine does not. Also the TBI adapter is different.

I have not used a kit with one of those yet, but I believe that is an ignition module for the 3FE-style distributor. The wiring should allow you to mount it on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Thanks. Did figure the wiring out, and that module does plug into the distributor.

So have to swap on a dented side cover, which I already had from a 60. Holy crap what a mess that old gasket is. It is baked on, and very little room to get a scraper in there properly. I'll get it I guess. New gasket from cruiser outfroutfi is on the way.
So then decided to mock up the fuel pump and lines. I need all new hard and soft lines. Need fuel injection rated soft lines and my existing hard lines are rusty. Gonna take a while.

The included fuel pump only came with one wire connection nut, and the studs are different sizes. What kind of crap is that. Didn't have a nut that would work in my large stash, so back to the parts store.

IMG_20180723_221021299_LL.jpg

Got the new dented side cover on with new gasket, and distributor in.
Got a nut for the small fuel pump stud (M4-7 I think?)
Installed the engine coolant temp sensor into the thermostat housing. Nice that the existing port is threaded the same.

Looking into ways to modify my throttle pedal to accept a cable.....has anyone fitted a FJ40 or FJ60 pedal? Or something else? Doesn't have to be pretty. Maybe a cable style 55 pedal? What years were cable pull?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom