Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the sub tank (factory 70/71/73/74 series) tank fit or are there issues with rear coil assembly on 80 series frame (if you are that far along in fitment)

Chris, When you get through with that thing drive it up to Tallahassee and I will meet you and buy lunch. That will give me an opportunity to see a "fancy" truck. :D

rick_d: The tank choice was a tough one....in the end I opted for a custom built aluminum tank that will fit in the rear frame area. We built a tank that should be about 28-30 gallons. It will be a straight bolt in deal and will house the OEM pump assembly. That was my primary concern....I want the 1FZ motor supplied with the OEM pump, lines, returns, etc. I think we'll have to shorten the fuel sender/pump but that's not a big deal. I considered a sub tank that would fill a primary tank(mounted to the OEM body) but I had a lot of concerns there. In the end, this setup was the easiest, cheapest and will serve exactly what I need. I believe the tank will be done late next week....really looking forward to getting it. My bed also has a filler in it so it makes it even easier.

1978HJ45: Charles....I'd love to head up your way for a free lunch.....BUT, you could head down this way and we could get your 75 together with it's Aussie brother that is in Tampa. You could still buy me lunch however.

1978HJ45: Charles....I'd love to head up your way for a free lunch.....BUT, you could head down this way and we could get your 75 together with it's Aussie brother that is in Tampa. You could still buy me lunch however.

Sorry but the lack of legroom in my truck limits me to a 60 mile radius. :D

I should have tried the 80 series tank but unfortunately, it grew legs and apparently walked away from the scrap pile it was in behind the dumpster at the shop. 2 tanks actually.....we had another stock 80 tank from a customer's truck(installed a 38 gallon tank on that truck). Sucks. I would have preferred one for the cab. Not too worried about it....I think a little weight in the back of the truck will be good.

Frame went off to sandblasting today......will have it back on Thursday. Friday we'll coat the frame/axles/etc.

Sure seems pretty long on that rollback....
P1080186.jpg
P1080190.jpg

Back from sandblasting......$250 to do the whole thing. Not a bad deal. The guy did a really nice job.

Monday we coat the frame with the KSB Coatings system. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
P1080206.jpg
P1080203.jpg
P1080207.jpg

Let me know how the kbs stuff works. I bought a kit of it to do the axles and suspension. I'm on the fence on doing the frame with it b/c I can get it blasted and powder coated for about the same price as blasting and kbs.

I was really torn on the frame stuff. My regular powder coater wanted a lot to do the frame(blasting and powder). He's excellent but the logistics of getting a frame to him would be complicated. The blaster guy I found was cheap and he took the rolling chassis....blasted it all and the transports was easy. I figured I'd give the KBS stuff a shot since I have a couple employees that can work on it for the full day.....the way I plan to do it, I'll need about 10-11 hours to do it. My plan is to do 2 coats of the gloss black Rust Seal(per KBS's recommendations) with about 2-3 hours in between coats and then a coat of Chassis Top Coat in OEM satin black(about 6 hours after the last Rust Seal coat). Top coat provides the UV protection. Not sure if I'll just do the frame in top coat or the frame and axles. No direct UV will hit any of it. Maybe gloss black axles and suspension links would look good under a satin black frame......not sure. I'll see how things work out once we get going. I spent a lot of time looking at the KBS stuff and I came away impressed. Tremendous customer support. They offer some really cool products....I think the tank on the 45 will be the next project...once this truck is on the road.

Coated the frame this week....used KBS Coatings. Gloss black Rust Seal followed by their Blacktop chassis paint(satin black). Followed their instructions to the T.....the Blacktop came out streaked and didn't flow out so well(lots of brush marks). I should have just had the frame powdercoated but it just wasn't in the cards with my time schedule. I think the KBS will be durable...just not so happy with the way it looks. The Blacktop provides UV stabilization as the Rust Seal will fade when exposed to UV.....it looked really nice...flowed out well too. Thinking the Blacktop stuff is where the issue lies...I should have sprayed it on I think.

Assembling chassis things next week....painting brackets, cleaning stuff, buying lots and lots of OEM parts. We'll rebuild the axles next week, do the brakes, get most of the plumbing in place. Nice to be able to replace everything on the truck with new parts....most everything at least.

Aluminum fuel tank will be done on Tuesday....would like to mount that and run the lines/vents, etc. for it if we have time.....

P1080266.jpg

P1080268.jpg

P1080270.jpg

So did you brush everything on? That must have been time consuming. I planned on spray mine. The axles and suspension pieces anyway. I'm gonna have the frame powder coated. I currently down in Nicaragua drooling over all the 70 series down here. I checked out a new factory double cab pretty nice I must say...but the lack of bed space would kinda suck. If all goes well I will have a couple suitcases full of parts I need to finish my build.

We brushed it on. I wouldn't do that again. Probably wouldn't use their Blacktop chassis coat again either. Maybe just the Rust Seal...it seemed to be the only thing that worked well. I should have powdercoated it. Would have been much better BUT....it is a frame. It will be just fine the way it is. The costs have really been adding up.....the Toyota delivery guy is here daily with stuff. I've been writing some big checks.

Jealous of your suitcases full of parts.....

Tires arrived.....Toyo M55 255/85/16. Pretty solid(and heavy) tire. Putting them on OEM 16" steel wheels....wheels are at powdercoat now. Going with an industria/machinel grey finish. If things go smoothy, they'll be on the chassis on Friday.

P1080273.jpg

P1080271.jpg

P1080272.jpg

tires/rims

I like your way of thinking! I used 16" "spare tire" rims off a 94 4 Runner and painted them Haze Gray, about as close to perfect as I could find. BTW, I went with 235/85 with a very similar tread on my old 75 series.
I'm jealous as your rig appears to be very close to what I was "supposed" to end up with from Proffitt's:frown:

Hey Carl....got your VM today....sorry I missed your call. Shoot me a call when you get a chance. I'm usually always at my desk but today we had a big meeting to review an interior design for a customers SL Mercede.....going with a very social leather that will run $1000 per hide.....we need 10 hides! Nice.

My Tacoma "had" a 16" steel spare that looks similar to an OEM 79 5-lug wheel...fits right and looks right. I bought 3 junkyard ones for $35 each and sent them all to powder coat. One of my customer dropped off 4 16" silver steel wheels....must have been stock on a Taco or something....they look good too. I've got those as well AND I have a set of 16" aluminum 2000 4Runner wheels.....they all look good and they all fit. Guess I'll need 3 sets of wheels/tires.....I'm a sucker for machine grey wheels though....most all my TLCs have them.

The build is becoming fun now....really nice to start to see things coming together. Should make some good progress this week...

I thought u r having 6lugs wheel instead of 5lugs..

Yup, 6 lug wheels on my truck since my chassis is an 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom