Builds Just another 79 build..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mocked up heater system...slight issue. The evaporator we received does not fit our application. Found the right part number....trying to figure out if we can get it here(it's in the US). In the original unit(from a Canadian mine truck I believe), the evap box is empty(there is a filler in it) but the AC lines going in and even the drain holes are there(blocked). The evap box I received was way too big to fit...it fits to the heater assembly but doesn't fit the truck Lines were in the wrong spot too.

Cool pic of the VIN tag in the door jamb.
P1010355.jpg
P1010362.jpg
P1010352.jpg

Mocked up heater system...slight issue. The evaporator we received does not fit our application. Found the right part number....trying to figure out if we can get it here(it's in the US). In the original unit(from a Canadian mine truck I believe), the evap box is empty(there is a filler in it) but the AC lines going in and even the drain holes are there(blocked). The evap box I received was way too big to fit...it fits to the heater assembly but doesn't fit the truck Lines were in the wrong spot too.

Cool pic of the VIN tag in the door jamb.

Toyota made slight changes on the air con since updated the new dash.
Piping line, pump,piping hole on the firewall...
You'll have to order new from toyota:hmm:

Last edited:
The heater system I have, even though it doesn't contain the evap core, fit's my cab/firewall perfectly....my truck is a 2009. The heater system is 75/79 stuff. The port where the lines would go is even there(just blocked off). Drain fits, everything else lines up....just no core in the case. We found the correct middle section(the 'cooler assembly').....one part number comes with the evap, one is empty(what we have). C-Dan was able to get one coming once we determined the correct part number. I think the one I received from Japan was simply not the right unit.....supposedly fit up to 2008 but it wasn't even close UNLESS there was a different heater assembly for that evap unit that I received. Hard to tell. It was a huge core....bolted up to the heater assembly but wouldn't even come close to fitting the blower side of things. Totally different. New evap unit comes in next week hopefully. Might be a costly gamble but I think we've got the right one. The incorrect one will find it's way back to Japan.

Cut the forward cab mount pieces out today.....we'll weld them up so we can get those in position. Then we do the front ones.

Mid cab mounts built today. Removed all the other mounts off the frame that we won't be using. Tomorrow we should be able to have the forward cab mounts on and make our way to fabbing up the radiator/front mounts. Seems to be moving pretty nicely. My goal would be to have the cab secured where we want it by tomorrow so we can start on extending the frame for the bed. We had a pretty clear shop today so we were able to take full advantage of the lift. Probably need to work on customers cars next week so I can pay for all this build....
P1010388.jpg
P1010385.jpg
P1010374.jpg

interesting... your blower-motor box looks different then mine; I believe mine is a 2002 or so, but it fits perfect in the 2010 body. Maybe your AC box would fit the earlier blower motor style?
No AC on mine... some day...luckily I love in NorCal where "hot" is 85F.

It would have to be a pretty small blower unit....the wrong evap box is really big. Doesn't line up to anything but the heater box. Maybe if there was a smaller heater assembly to accommodate the larger AC unit. Still wouldn't allow blower to fit up though. That still wouldn't work though as the AC lines are in a totally different spot. In the pic attached, you can see the AC lines(white cap covering them) at the bottom of the cooler(this is the one that is too big). There is not opening on the body where these lines would pass thru the firewall.
P1010358.jpg

i see. huh. it will be interesting to see the difference when the other shows up.

I can't wait to see what we get. I'm about 80% sure it will be the right part. I've got an 6A380 on my current empty cooler box and a 6A390 "cooler" assembly ordered. We think the "cooler" part means it's loaded with the evap core. It's a pretty cool setup....the empty one in there now had a neat insert to simulate an evap core. Everything was in the right place, just no parts.

The front cab mounts were tacked to the frame today....getting ready to get the fronts in place next week. I probably should spend a little time on working on customer cars next week to generate some $$$ so we'll see what we have going on. My main tech who is building this truck says that we can either start the frame stretch(now that the cab is in place) or we can work on the fronts. I'm tempted to do the bed as I'm anxious to see how it will look. I think the stretch and the mounting of the bed will be pretty straight forward. Measuring, measuring and then a little measuring.

Got the new AC 'cooler' assembly from C-Dan....it's the right one. Evap core is in there, fittings are in their place, it bolts up to what I have.

Finished up the steering(will make a few slight changes once the body is in it's final place. Mounted the brake booster/brake pedal assembly from the 80....fit pretty well....pedal may be a tad to far to the left so we'll probably alter that. Not a big deal. Trying to finish up customer work so we can get the frame cut and rough in the extensions to see how things look back there.
P1010422.jpg
P1010426.jpg
P1010427.jpg

Is your AC 'cooler' new from Toyota?
Looks like you have wide brake pedal, is your rig building up with auto?:hmm:

Brand new cooler from Toyota and yes I am keeping the automatic behind the 1FZ....should be a nice set up for this truck.

I'm doing a similar build, as you have probably seen here on MUD. Putting the 79 series body on an 80 series frame and running gear. Question, is that a custom bracket that you had to make to allow bolting up the 80 series brake pedal to the 79 series firewall? What series steering column are you using? I have a 70, 80 and 62 at my disposal. Would love to use the 80 series so the wiring is plug and play but......

Using a 75 series RHD column that is converted to LHD.

We notched the firewall flange to allow the 80's booster to fit up against the firewall without using any type of spacer. When we notched the firewall, we lost a few spot welds so we fabbed up a 1/8" plate plate that was welded to the flange(the firewall and cowl pieces meet here)....it is sandwiched between the booster and the firewall). I wanted to add the plate for rigidity as well as it allowed me to add a nice weld across the top where the flange was. The pedal bracket bolted up perfectly. We did do some minor trimming of the top of the bracket as well as added an upper bracket to allow it bolt up to 3 existing holes. It's very secure....probably a bit too far off to the left but that should be an easy fix by fabbing up either a new pedal arm or modifying what we have. I want to get the gas pedal in the cab so I can determine the brake pedal placement.

I didn't want to have to mess with anything on the 80s brakes except extending some lines where the frame is stretched.....that's why I wanted to keep everything intact as it was on the 80.

Back on the 79 this week....lots of customer projects needed to get done to pay the bills. Planning on stretching the frame tomorrow....everything is ready to go. Once we get the frame where we want it, we'll put the cab back on and get the bed on to confirm everything. Then we'll take it off and weld it all up. Not much other progress on the truck other than a cool place for the 80s cruise control stalk. We fabbed up the brackets for the charcoal canister, cruise control and ABS pump. Should be pretty well dialed in under the hood. Blended the 80s speedo/tach into the 70s gauge cluster as well. Turned out pretty good. We'll have to convert the 24v fuel/water temp/oil pressure/water temp gauges to 12v....shouldn't be a big deal. We can always take out the guts of the 80s gauges should we need to. Hoping to have the frame stretched this week....bed mounts started and finalized next week. Get the cab mounted for final once the bed is on and then work on the gas tank. Thinking of using the 80s tank in the spare tire location....should be a very close fit. Won't know if that will work until the bed is on and I can check clearances. Can't wait to see this thing with the bed on it!
P1010781.jpg
P1010800.jpg
P1010647.jpg

Some cool shots of my 3FE powered 45 and it's new brother in the background. It will be tough to choose which one to drive. The 45 is just a dream to drive daily(PS, 4 speed, AC, OME) but it will be tough not to drive the 79 all the time....such a cool truck.
P1010432.jpg
P1010434.jpg
P1010538.jpg

looking good. Question: did you order a new set of keys/locks? My 79 Body did not come with keys for the doors. I have a multi-lok to prevent vehicle theft, but it sure would be nice to lock the doors now and again. I guess I should pull the cylinders and see if someone can re-key them to mach the ignition.
the cruise(r) control looks factory. Very cool.

I bought a full set of matched locks....doors, ignition and glove box door. It was relatively inexpensive I think...$60 or something. Easy to get too.....I'm sure I have the PN if you need it.

I've been thinking about the some type of anti-theft deal. Kind of thinking either a GPS tracking set up or just a simple kill switch. I probably won't let the truck out of my sight very often if ever.

So far so good with your 79.:cheers:
The problem with 70 series is that there shared the same key through out the the whole truck, once the thief get hold of one of the lock and duplicate it , your truck is gone. Have different key to ignition your engine, door or fuel tank cap.

BTW, the 45 looks decently nice and tidy.:) What year is that?

funny, i'm after the opposite. I don't want to carry around 3 keys. My solution of leaving my doors unlocked is getting sort of old though... might be time to get keys for the door locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom