Builds Just another 79 build..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So from Johannesburg South Africa all the way to Tampa FL this crate would travel. It left somewhere around the end of September and would take 3 weeks to get to Miami. I got an email about 530 AM one day about some kind of ISF number missing which was going to delay the loading of the container. Lol. Seems nobody in the shipping world talks to each other until the last minute. Things got sorted and it was on it's way aboard the Maesrk Vallvik.

Last edited:
Damn! I wish I would have known you were getting one of these. I don't get on the forum that much anymore. I looked at that same pic someone posted in your thread and knew I wanted one. Did a little research and figured it was out of my budget at the time. Fast forward a few years and I'm in ZA and see a couple there. After looking the over thought they were a way better value than alucab. Had I known you were getting one I would have jumped in and we could have saved on shipping.
If you have a moment send me a pm about details/pricing. If your getting another one for the next build be sure to let me know. Thanks

Damn! I wish I would have known you were getting one of these. I don't get on the forum that much anymore. I looked at that same pic someone posted in your thread and knew I wanted one. Did a little research and figured it was out of my budget at the time. Fast forward a few years and I'm in ZA and see a couple there. After looking the over thought they were a way better value than alucab. Had I known you were getting one I would have jumped in and we could have saved on shipping.
If you have a moment send me a pm about details/pricing. If your getting another one for the next build be sure to let me know. Thanks

I didn't even think to post up about it. Just kind of got the ball rolling and that was that. It's an impressive product. Very very well made. It's hand built stuff so there were a few little issues here and there but most of that's just me being really particular. I think if Big Country had installed the parts, they could have addressed the small issues.

Alucab was nice....saw it all at Expo East a few weeks ago. I just didn't get the warm and fuzzies from them. Big Country was really top notch to work with.

I'll PM you some info.....is your truck done? I don't remember seeing any updates.

I don’t think I’ve ever had one that’s done :)
It’s driveable but the finishing bits have been on the back burner for years. Too many projects not enough time.
I really want to find a newer donor truck and swap all the full wiring/dash and other tidbits over. I put mine together from several older trucks from Canada.

Look forward to the details on the camper.

I don’t think I’ve ever had one that’s done :)
It’s driveable but the finishing bits have been on the back burner for years. Too many projects not enough time.
I really want to find a newer donor truck and swap all the full wiring/dash and other tidbits over. I put mine together from several older trucks from Canada.

Look forward to the details on the camper.

What fun would a finished project be? For my next build, I got really smart.....I bought a complete dash, harness, AC system, everything attached to the firewall. Pricey outlay but the amount of time it will save will be huge. It's an airbag dash so a little RAV4 looking to me but it will do. I prefer the older dashes. But when I see that full vehicle wiring harness laying on the floor, I get past the RAV4 dash look. Going to be a way easier build.

This I highly interesting for me. Goals (albeit long term) is/was to find a booger Troopy to convert to a trailer with an alucab. This right heat has got me thinking hard. Likely be cheaper to buy a new Ute tub, build a frame and add the goodies like you have done.

9C28A9B3-6C27-4CFE-AF93-36B67CB2DE0B.jpeg

This I highly interesting for me. Goals (albeit long term) is/was to find a booger Troopy to convert to a trailer with an alucab. This right heat has got me thinking hard. Likely be cheaper to buy a new Ute tub, build a frame and add the goodies like you have done.

View attachment 1837022

View attachment 1837023
Wow...that's weird. A 79 bed would be really cool for a trailer. Lots of room, flat, low bed sides......super useable. Combined with a canopy and tent....unbeatable. Shame a Troopy had to be chopped up for that.

I completely agree. The time saved by having everything plug an play more than off sets the cost for me. I've missed a couple chances at the whole shabang bc I wasn't watching ads close enough.

The more you drive the rav4 dash the easier it is to get used to it. I drove a new 76 series around Oz last year. I didn't mind it by the end of the trip but I think the V8 diesel makes you think about other shortcomings quickly.

That troopy camper is awesome. Far too expensive of a project in the states though.

Last edited:
I completely agree. The time saved by having everything plug an play more than off sets the cost for me. I've missed a couple chances at the whole shabang bc I wasn't watching ads close enough.

The more you drive the rav4 dash the easier it is to get used to it. I drove a new 76 series around Oz last year. I didn't mind it by the end of the trip but I think the V8 diesel makes you think about other shortcomings quickly.

That troopy camper is awesome. Far two expensive of a project in the states though.

I think I know which shabang you missed.....it's in my warehouse. :) Got lucky on that one.

I think the Rav4 dash will be fine. It's just different. I'm stoked for a grey interior for some reason and I'm stoked to have a different variant for my.....I mean...for the "inventory" truck. Alpine has a bitchin' 9" dash kit for it...not sure how I will get my hands on one but I will try. We've used that setup in a few Tahoes/Jeeps and it's super slick. Whole new dash plastic to house the 9". But that's WAY down the road. Lot's to do between then and now.

Will have to do some work to fit an airbag dash in a non-airbag cab....some differences on the firewall for sure.

If it was recent I'm guessing that was the Ambulance from Europe from Joe? Good on you if so. Summer is my busy work season. No time to think about cruisers or anything but work.

There was also the new 76 series that didn't clear the overpass quite a few years ago. Looking back someone got a steal on that. I didn't have the funds at the time or I would have been all over it.

There's a few guys in Canada that wheel and deal in mine trucks/ takeoffs. Still haven't found the whole "shabang" up there that is worth it.

Better keep my eyes a bit more peeled.

Wow...that's weird. A 79 bed would be really cool for a trailer. Lots of room, flat, low bed sides......super useable. Combined with a canopy and tent....unbeatable. Shame a Troopy had to be chopped up for that.

Guess who is bringing a few 79 beds in his next container ;)

Didn't even notice the size of the fridge/freezer looking thing in the troopy up front. That thing looks huge.

So much easier and probably cheaper to buy one the offload, pop up camper things these days but those 79 take off beds are cheap so if you really want another project...:beer:

I think I know which shabang you missed.....it's in my warehouse. :) Got lucky on that one.

I think the Rav4 dash will be fine. It's just different. I'm stoked for a grey interior for some reason and I'm stoked to have a different variant for my.....I mean...for the "inventory" truck. Alpine has a bitchin' 9" dash kit for it...not sure how I will get my hands on one but I will try. We've used that setup in a few Tahoes/Jeeps and it's super slick. Whole new dash plastic to house the 9". But that's WAY down the road. Lot's to do between then and now.

Will have to do some work to fit an airbag dash in a non-airbag cab....some differences on the firewall for sure.
So will the 9” Alpine fit in the old dash double DIN hole? :)

PS - Your build is now officially epic!

So will the 9” Alpine fit in the old dash double DIN hole? :)

PS - Your build is now officially epic!

Unfortunately the Alpine is only for the airbag dash. They have a whole new surround that looks OEM to accommodate the huge size of the stereo. Pretty cool stuff. Pricey stuff too. I'm far from a stereo guy.....just having a double DIN is a huge luxury to me. New truck will get a reverse camera.....I'm really stepping it up. Ha.

Alpine 9" in the new dash....100% absolutely unnecessary for me. But it will be a challenge to find the parts and for some reason, I seem to enjoy weird challenges....and that makes it worthwhile.
LC70-X009E_2-480x270.jpg

Unfortunately the Alpine is only for the airbag dash. They have a whole new surround that looks OEM to accommodate the huge size of the stereo. Pretty cool stuff. Pricey stuff too. I'm far from a stereo guy.....just having a double DIN is a huge luxury to me. New truck will get a reverse camera.....I'm really stepping it up. Ha.

Alpine 9" in the new dash....100% absolutely unnecessary for me. But it will be a challenge to find the parts and for some reason, I seem to enjoy weird challenges....and that makes it worthwhile.
View attachment 1837260
No worries. I had the 8" in my BJ73 and it worked just fine. As an Apple guy the interface works well. As for the relative merits of old vs new dash, each have their charms and I am sure you will enjoy the results. Yes, gray is my preference as well....

View attachment 1837260
But will it play a cassette tape? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom