Builds JDM 73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's that parked next to your cruiser? at first I though Power Wagon, but in the second pick I'm thinking Ford.

What's that parked next to your cruiser? at first I though Power Wagon, but in the second pick I'm thinking Ford.

Good guess! 1969 Ford F-250 bumpside. I’ll have to dredge up a pic of the whole thing, 2wd, auto, 360FE. Not mint condition, but pretty clean and extremely low miles. Was my wife’s grandparents’. Mostly just a run around for errands where you need a big old truck

Trying to think if I've done anything to this in awhile....I got a company car now so I barely drive it during the week. Took the nice new Tacoma to the coast for some beach combing and crabbing. Ended up with a nice little load of bay clams, but no legal Dungeness Crabs :( I got four total , but they were either too small or were females. Next time.
IMG-4319.jpg

been thinking waaaay too seriously about selling this once my baja bug is running/driving. Keep eyeballing Mitsubishi Delica L300's for the roominess and ease at which I can get my kids in and out of one......someone talk me out of it lol

Well....I still have it. Can't think of any mods I've done lately, keep spending all my fun money on my VW baja bug.

Went and got a Christmas tree:
IMG-5224.jpg

Took the rear swingout apart to rebuild it and make a double shear mount instead of the flimsy spindle:
IMG-5481.jpg

Also, if anyone is on IG.....definitely look for @travel_beasts, he's in Northern England building a 73 series camper

IMG-5269.jpg

IMG-5268.jpg

Makes me wanna cut the back half of mine off, it is a super cool build he's got going.

Ordered up a Mamba CT26 turbo, need to finish collecting the small bits an some Auber gauges for the EGT and BOOOOOOST.

Rebuilt my rear swingout but didn't take any pics.

Went to White River Falls near Maupin Oregon a while ago, checked out the old hydro station below the falls. I imagined having to hike in and out of that for work everyday. :eek:

IMG-5469.jpg

IMG-5460.jpg

IMG-5459.jpg

IMG-5451.jpg

IMG-5447.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered up a Mamba CT26 turbo, need to finish collecting the small bits an some Auber gauges for the EGT and BOOOOOOST.

Went to White River Falls near Molalla Oregon a while ago, checked out the old hydro station below the falls. I imagined having to hike in and out of that for work everyday. :eek:

View attachment 2568136

View attachment 2568137

View attachment 2568138

View attachment 2568139

View attachment 2568140

Which Mamba turbo did you end up going with? Thinking about going this route if/when I need to rebuild or replace my turbo. Thanks.

Went to White River Falls near Molalla Oregon a while ago, checked out the old hydro station below the falls. I imagined having to hike in and out of that for work everyday. :eek:

View attachment 2568136

View attachment 2568137

View attachment 2568138

View attachment 2568139

View attachment 2568140

Nice! I will take a look at those Mambatek Turbos. I'd love a Gturbo but at double the cost it's hard to swallow for something I don't "technically" need lol.

I will say with the Auber, I like the gauges, but I've not been impressed with the THermocouples they sell at all. I'm on my 3rd one in 2.5 years. They seem to last around a year then crap out. $39.00 but I would rather just find a better one to use. Not sure why it keeps failing but this is my last go with an Auber thermocouple.

Nice! I will take a look at those Mambatek Turbos. I'd love a Gturbo but at double the cost it's hard to swallow for something I don't "technically" need lol.

I will say with the Auber, I like the gauges, but I've not been impressed with the THermocouples they sell at all. I'm on my 3rd one in 2.5 years. They seem to last around a year then crap out. $39.00 but I would rather just find a better one to use. Not sure why it keeps failing but this is my last go with an Auber thermocouple.

Interesting, I have not heard that yet. I like the compact form of the Aubers and the price point. My vw Baja uses all VDO gauges and they are good quality, but their EGT gauges are $$$$$$.

Interesting, I have not heard that yet. I like the compact form of the Aubers and the price point. My vw Baja uses all VDO gauges and they are good quality, but their EGT gauges are $$$$$$.

Yeah I thought the first one was a fluke, maybe it was. But after the second one went I'm a little gun shy. I will give this last one a try before I search out another option for the next one. Not sure if it's just the vibration or what. I like the gauge and the options for warning if I ever get that far lol.

I also tapped the exhaust manifold for a 1/4 NPT thread to use an Auber EGT probe in the future. I originally did it as 1/8NPT but screwed up and had go up a size :eek:
IMG-5529.jpg

Again, plugged it for now.

I bought a 1HZ to CT26 adapter from Simpson Offroad Engineering in Sydney, Australia (hence keeping the stock manifold)
IMG-5503.jpg

Last thing i got done today was finishing the catch can install, used the cheapest black Aluminum catch can they sell on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XP7B996/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon product ASIN B07XP7B996
Welded a stainless 5/8" barb to the air cleaner top to finish the catch can hose routing (i didn't take any pics of the rest of the install)

IMG-5528.jpg

Someone asked, but here is the Mamba that I ordered:

https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-Turbocharger-001-0923.htm?categoryId=-1

Stock CT26 turbine wheel in a 7cm housing, with a slight compressor upgrade. I think it'll work good. Hopefully can get away without a IC for the short term.

That turbo, will need to have the housings and center rotated but shouldn't be a problem to do.

Exciting drive today, drove the 15ish miles to Bend and on the way there four warning lights all turned on at once, the battery light, timing belt light, auto trans temp light and the fuel filter light. Pulled over and checked the batteries with a multi-meter and only get 24.8 volts. So im thinking the alt is dead.

Would a dead alternator also cause the other lights to suddenly spring on? I have previously had no trans temp issues, just changed the fuel filter and the timing belt light would not rest when I pushed the button.

Great.

Exciting drive today, drove the 15ish miles to Bend and on the way there four warning lights all turned on at once, the battery light, timing belt light, auto trans temp light and the fuel filter light. Pulled over and checked the batteries with a multi-meter and only get 24.8 volts. So im thinking the alt is dead.

Would a dead alternator also cause the other lights to suddenly spring on? I have previously had no trans temp issues, just changed the fuel filter and the timing belt light would not rest when I pushed the button.

Great.

Do you have an internal or external Voltage Regulator? I had the same issues and mine was the voltage regulator. Worth a check anyway.

I’m going to try taking it to a local place to rebuild it.

It’s an internal regulator. I’m hoping it’s something “easy” like that. Although, I was wondering if the regulator failure would cause it to over-volt though? I have a homemade welder at home that I fashioned out of an old Ford alternator without the external regulator. It would spin up to 120V. Used to have it mounted in a Samurai.

@svsisu saved my bacon and sent me this thread

So I ordered the 24v, 60A alternator for a Coaster bus along with an adapter plug. New bracket from Partsouq also

The auto electric shop said it would be $118/hr shop rate to rebuild the 30amp Toyota alt. I’ll hang on to it and rebuild it in the future as a spare.

In the meantime I’ve been forced to drive the hooptie around town:
View attachment 2573068

I have noticed my injection pump leaking too while removing the alternator, I cannot find an ACSD block plate to save my life. I ordered from two different Toyota dealers and both were cancelled because the part is on nationwide back order. Guess everyone had the same idea lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom