Builds Jacks 40 to fake 45 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prepping my frame extension pieces.

20221217_125354.jpg
20221217_125400.jpg
20221217_132403.jpg

Looks good Jack! let me know when you need some measurments, I will be around all week

These horrible shackles need to go. I rounded up some stock ones and gave them a make over. I am trying to get this truck going on a budget using as many parts I already have.........then upgrade as needed.

20221220_184144.jpg
20221220_184200.jpg

While you’re at it, I’d build a stretched 45 cab. Unless you’re <5’4” 45 cabs leave something to be desired. An extra 8-10” would make it far more desirable in my view… or even a bit longer to make enough space for ambulance door windows.

For the last few years I’ve been considering extending my 40 into a 43. I figure a spring flip and some 60 leaf springs could move the rear axle back 5-6”. Then the 12” frame extension would mostly only be to move the bumper back. The suspension would still all be attached to the original 40 frame.

I still need to redo the 1/4 panels, and the 1/8” plate floor and inner fenders would be easy enough to extend. I’ve got a replacement channel for the top of the 1/4s… so I would just need to keep 12” of the original.

The hardtop would be the biggest challenge. I’d need to source part of a glass roof. The fibreglass work would be pretty easy compared to the glass and carbon fibre work I’ve done at work.

Other than that I’d need to extend the hardtop sides. 43 hardtops originally have visible seams so that would help. And ambulance door windows are close enough to the correct size to work if they are rotated 90*.

Well there’s my dream plan… hope you can get inspiration from it. I’ll be watching your progress to get ideas.

My plan all along has been a slightly stretched cab and a SWB style bed that's also stretched.
Cool build!

If you haven't, you can see the build thread linked in my sig that I converted a 40 into a 45 with a 16" stretch.

I ended up using lower rear corners from Real Steel, and I basically made my own rear corners above that. Overall, a pretty straight forward process.

Good luck

My plan all along has been a slightly stretched cab and a SWB style bed that's also stretched.

Back in the nineties I went down to Tim Hill's place. He had a fixed top FJ45 the the bed had been stretched to the length of a LWB 45 bed. From the outside it looked stock. If it wasn't for the flat section in the front of the front could have passed as original from the factory.

Little late now but the FJ45 on my FJ45 has the torque tube behind the transfer case a lot further back and shape like used on the FJ40 9/72+. Something to think about if going with anything except the stock three speed.

Jack, I know you know, just want to share what happened to me about 15 years ago. I extended a 40 frame exactly how you are doing it now. Cut in half and added 40 frame cuts, same wheelbase too! I used the same fish plates!!! I carefully welded everything up, going slow, side to side, not too much heat. Everything looked great until I started measuring for square, wheelbase,etc. It turned out to have a slight twist from front to rear. It bothered me so much, I ended up cutting it up!! Just a heads up to go slow and check measurements as you go! Super excited to watch your build!🍺

I hear ya. I doubt this will be precise, but it should be good enough for my purposes. It's an around town cruiser and day trip wheeler. Gonna run tougher trails than the LX......lol

I made some templates for the inner plates. My body mount kit showed up today too.

20221222_190756.jpg

Jack, I know you know, just want to share what happened to me about 15 years ago. I extended a 40 frame exactly how you are doing it now. Cut in half and added 40 frame cuts, same wheelbase too! I used the same fish plates!!! I carefully welded everything up, going slow, side to side, not too much heat. Everything looked great until I started measuring for square, wheelbase,etc. It turned out to have a slight twist from front to rear. It bothered me so much, I ended up cutting it up!! Just a heads up to go slow and check measurements as you go! Super excited to watch your build!🍺
Don’t body shops have a tool that can straighten a twisted frame? Just a possible option if it does end up a little off.

Inner plates are done. My plasma torch seems to be really weak. I doubt it would melt butter. Need to figure that out. Ended up using the cut off wheel and flapper. I will get them welded on tomorrow morning. Then stick the cab back on for mock up.

20221223_185751.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom