“It’s only a motor swap and an axle swap” FJ55, 2UZ, 5 speed, 80 axle build

@SNLC

1)it’s one of the few straight places in the frame
2) the 80 frame isn’t rectangular tubing, it’s two “C” Channel, one slightly larger than the other welded together. there was a factory seam here on the inside that I used and re-welded after shortening
3) the radius arm mount acts like a scab plate on the outside and bottom of the fame

I never claimed to be smart or right! Just how I did it :cheers: :lol:

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

@SNLC

1)it’s one of the few straight places in the frame
2) the 80 frame isn’t rectangular tubing, it’s two “C” Channel, one slightly larger than the other welded together. there was a factory seam here on the inside that I used and re-welded after shortening
3) the radius arm mount acts like a scab plate on the outside and bottom of the fame

I never claimed to be smart or right! Just how I did it :cheers: :lol:

Yup, done a few myself. I cut them at the rear lower control arm mount. The only issues I see with where you cut it is trans crossmember but that doesn't really matter in your build.

Cheers

Yup, done a few myself. I cut them at the rear lower control arm mount. The only issues I see with where you cut it is trans crossmember but that doesn't really matter in your build.

Cheers
I went through a ton of cut off wheels getting that damn crossmember mount off and out!
Whoever welded it on took his job very seriously!

have a pic of your cut?

thanks

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

I went through a ton of cut off wheels getting that damn crossmember mount off and out!
Whoever welded it on took his job very seriously!

have a pic of your cut?

thanks

Cheers

i cut mine in the rear too. post 270

Got to play some today. Once you accept the cut-off wheel life, you just chop chop when needed with no delay. The 80 suspension is in the way just this | | much.

this little pinch weld lip was easy to remove, so 27” of it is gone now. I’ll weld and seal it back.

This crazy huge tank fits now. Waiting on the new fuel pump set up to be delivered Thursday before it’s bolted in. The stock 20-ish gallon is too small. This 55 gallon is crazy huge. A 35-40 gallon would be perfect I think. Going to have to fab a skid plate. Rear bumper will cover it some, but damn, she’s meaty.

Got my body mount height set and put on some OME 2.5” FJ80 lift springs to start with. Netted me about 3” over the old saggy 80 springs. It stupid easy to swap springs with the 2 post lift. Don’t even take tires off.

I was worried it was going to be monster truck tall, but I really think it fits well with the 35”s and extra width. Pretty close to ride height in the pics. The eng/trans position and the rear coil buckets really determine the body to frame height.

It’s 3” taller than my ‘69 FJ55 that has Alcans and 33”s. Seems about right.

41AE1265-A098-4AC6-BE17-290C51E6D1AE.jpeg

3039ED25-A3EF-4FF7-8131-41C106BBCDE0.jpeg

80D70DB4-723E-4FBD-8F01-C2BF9F0FFDDE.jpeg

12EBDD1E-E5E3-45FE-8F56-5175B4758772.jpeg

3FD8CE0E-8EC4-4F3C-8F89-5A8B6EF30A52.jpeg

Last edited:

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
SILVER Star

You need to beef up those transfer case frame mounts.
Why not just relocate the oil filter? Or look for a shorter oil filter? Probably would have made your life easier.
Same deal with the dual transfer cases, what's the deal with the duals vs just a single 4.7?

You need to beef up those transfer case frame mounts.
Why not just relocate the oil filter? Or look for a shorter oil filter? Probably would have made your life easier.
Same deal with the dual transfer cases, what's the deal with the duals vs just a single 4.7?
what’s wrong with the mounts?
There is a gusset you probably can’t see in the pics. It’s not just a piece of angle.

oil filter comes on and off fine now. Just showing the issues of skinny frame.

duals are way nicer than a single 4.7 in my experience. Single low/2WD low is a nice setup. 4.7 in low and your cruising around in 4-5th gear on the trials. It all fits fine. Rear drive shaft will be 30”+ long. Just a lot longer than stock H42/splitcase stuff

Edit:: you can’t see it in my pics, but there is a welded gusset on the 90* mounts

7F24159F-83AB-4CE2-97D7-0367EE2B5088.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom