Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TonyP ...... "Not all '07+ hoods have the bulge. There's a bunch of different part numbers for all sorts of variations, no idea of the difference. I believe there's also two different kind of bulges big and small. I'd prefer smaller which I think is that part number noted above.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well perhaps they do all have the bulge although some don't have the scoop. View attachment 2007490

Right, I was using bulge as scoop. But yeah, some are "flat" like that others have a scoop, and another have a one that looks larger like this guy. Could be the same hood, just looks different not in white. But the scoop looks larger than the Troopy I posted. Might be a AUS hood:

lc70_bep_safety-hero_1920x1080.webp

That is the new-design scoop hood, 2018 up.

Right, I was using bulge as scoop. But yeah, some are "flat" like that others have a scoop, and another have a one that looks larger like this guy. Could be the same hood, just looks different not in white. But the scoop looks larger than the Troopy I posted. Might be a AUS hood:

In Australia, when the first wide nose models came out, they came with the 1VD-FTV engine with a top mount intercooler. The scoop feeds cool air through the intercooler. In 2017 the new hood came with a larger bulge and a different opening. The two are interchangeable however there are a number of separate components such as grill, seals and soundproofing.

In other markets where the 1HZ or 1GR-FE engines were available the hood had no opening. I'm not sure what they did with the bulge for these models, but some photos appear to show a larger bulge.

lc70_bep_safety-hero_1920x1080.webp

Wow I like this one way better then the smaller scoop , imagine some Kutsnake flares on it and a set of 35's

Farmers tan in full effect after yesterday. Grinding and cutting isn't too bad, not great though. Today we'll probably be chopping the LCA mounts off of the frame, making our frame cuts and heading over to our guy to see about making some frame sleeves for us. After that, busting down the Troopy and getting it ready for the rotisserie which should be here today.

We looked over it again yesterday the body doesn't seem too rotted aside from a couple of spots. The Troopy has a bizarre ever-present smell of the ocean, it's really weird since it was from inland Nicaragua and the fact that the interior only consists of the seats and the dash. The windshield surround is definitely crusty in a few spots, as I expected. If it looks super bad after popping out the windshield I'll order up a 74 drop down windshield surround to chop up and use the metal to graft in. Unless @joekatana or someone else has cheaper source for windshield frames we can chop up for parts?

I ordered up the one hood like I posted earlier (on the white Troopy) last night with all the bits. At least I think I did...? All the google image searches say it's the smaller scoop/bulge but it says it's for a 17-18 VDJ so maybe I got the big scoop one, no idea. We'll find out in a few weeks. Thinking I'll use the scoop to cool a tranny or oil cooler.

It was from Megazip and they usually suck for me with larger items so if they fail I'll try to get it from Partsouq for $50 more.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Troopy, 1VD engine, but have the smaller scoop. Mine doesn't come with the DPF, which the Australian market 2017+ models have.

For 'Rest fo the World' spec like mine, we don't get the DPF or the bigger bulge. Only Australia gets the bigger bulge, but they'll have a Euro4 engine with DPF.

I have a 2018 Troopy, 1VD engine, but have the smaller scoop. Mine doesn't come with the DPF, which the Australian market 2017+ models have.

For 'Rest fo the World' spec like mine, we don't get the DPF or the bigger bulge. Only Australia gets the bigger bulge, but they'll have a Euro4 engine with DPF.

Perfect. I think I prefer the smaller scoop. Hopefully that's what I got.

Really NASTY rust at the bottom of the windshield opening.

Yup, still better than I thought it was going to be.

You must be from the rust belt. In my neck of the woods we would run from that squealing like a little girl... :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom