Ironman lift install PARTY!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARE YALL READY TO PARTAAAY!!!

im gonna be ordering an Ironman lift kit from ACC soon and would love to know if anyone would like to help me do the install? people knowledgable in installing lifts would be excellent, but i won't turn anyone away if they want to come. the more the merrier.

id let ACC do it, but thats a nice chunk of $$$ and id like to be able to afford an ARB locker in the rear and new set of KM2s.

Im expecting to do the install later this summer, so if y'all are free for a couple weekends and want to help a noob survive the experience, PM me your number (if you want) and ill give you a call and give you the info of where and when this party is going to take place :)

i can't pay you in beer (BYOB?) since I'm only 20 :crybaby:, but i can buy y'all lunch everyday you show up from publix or perhaps my nana can make us some country-fried steaks, mash potatoes and gravy, greens, etc.
sounds good right??
i can also guarantee that there will be pretty girls at this party :D

(DISCLAIMER: i cannot guarantee that there will be pretty girls at this party)

thanks a lot and wish me luck haha:cheers:

Last edited:
What is your target date for this party? What are your location and facility plans too?

WHEN:
I'm gonna put my order in at acc in about 2 weeks, but I'm not really sure how long it takes to ship. ill probably have a more concrete date for the install when i order it. but I'm thinking end of July or beginning of august if it ships pretty quick.

WHERE:
My Nana's home out in Alpharetta because she has a big barn with plenty of room and a paved floor. My neighbors would probably have a fit if we did it at my house.

ill make sure to post updates when i get the needed information on when this set is going to arrive.

Swing by Mellow Mushroom and see if one of those girls can go. If so, count me in.

I still have to go back :)

^^^:lol::lol::lol:
will do.

Have you bought the springs? I have a set of lifted springs you can have for free. You will need shocks.

Have you bought the springs? I have a set of lifted springs you can have for free. You will need shocks.

Holy s***, are you serious??? that would be incredible !!!
ill PM you :):):)

WHEN:
I'm gonna put my order in at acc in about 2 weeks, but I'm not really sure how long it takes to ship. ill probably have a more concrete date for the install when i order it. but I'm thinking end of July or beginning of august if it ships pretty quick.

WHERE:
My Nana's home out in Alpharetta because she has a big barn with plenty of room and a paved floor. My neighbors would probably have a fit if we did it at my house.

ill make sure to post updates when i get the needed information on when this set is going to arrive.

OK. Your Nana probably does not have a lift or an air compressor in her barn, so it will be wrenching all the way. How are you fixed with jacks and jackstands? Other tools? Are you planning on re-using shackles, u-bolts and other hardware? If so, you may want to start soaking all the bolts and bushing with penetrating oil now in the hope of making the job a little easier in 6 weeks.

LDowney said:
OK. Your Nana probably does not have a lift or an air compressor in her barn, so it will be wrenching all the way. How are you fixed with jacks and jackstands? Other tools? Are you planning on re-using shackles, u-bolts and other hardware? If so, you may want to start soaking all the bolts and bushing with penetrating oil now in the hope of making the job a little easier in 6 weeks.

You are correct, Nana has no car lift and no air so it will be wrenching all the way :)

I do have:
2 -2 ton jack stands
2 -6 ton jack stands
Plenty of tools

I do not have:
Floor jack (that actually works)

We have a ton of tools, but if someone could make a list of the necessary tools needed to accomplish this job so I can go out and check and make sure we have them, I would be extremely grateful.

And I am not going to be reusing the parts that we take off, all new parts, besides those springs I was so generously offered. I will start soaking in penetrating oil though, to make the removal as quick and easy as possible.

Thanks a lot for the interest
-Patrick

How much rust is on the underside of that cruiser? If those bolts on the suspension are all rusty they are going to be a real pain to get off:doh:...

How much rust is on the underside of that cruiser? If those bolts on the suspension are all rusty they are going to be a real pain to get off:doh:...

There's not that much rust underneath, so I'm hoping that it won't take most of a day to fool around with those shackles getting them off.

The last pic shows the worst of the rust on the cruiser, but thats on the body. the shackles look to be in fair shape and after thinking about i may re use those to save a little more cash. If thats a good idea?

Last edited:
How are the nuts on the bottom of the U bolts...don't forget to soak those with some PB Blaster too

How are the nuts on the bottom of the U bolts...don't forget to soak those with some PB Blaster too

the nuts look pretty good. ill make sure to spray them as well though.

i need to go clean all the nice GA red clay off the underside today. i just got back from a "hand cleaning" car wash and i can hardly tell they even got the truck wet.
Thats what i get for being lazy.

Last edited:

Extending Nick's question ... How many rocks have the u-bolts/nuts been drug over? If they have have taken a pounding and you are planning on new u-bolts, a cut off wheel might be a good tool to plan for.

It looks like a fairly clean truck on the underside, so bolt rust may not be a major issue. The spring bushings can always be wild card. The shackles are aftermarket, so those have been disassembled/reassembled after the 60 rolled out of the factory. This leaves pivot hanger bushings as an unknown (possible original with some rust/seizing around the pin).

Nothing new ... just work that will allow the party last longer.

LDowney said:
Extending Nick's question ... How many rocks have the u-bolts/nuts been drug over? If they have have taken a pounding and you are planning on new u-bolts, a cut off wheel might be a good tool to plan for.

Thats brings up a good point on the U bolt nuts getting drug across rocks. A good investment (if you plan on wheeling your truck) would be a U bolt flip kit so those bolts aren't your lowest point on the truck and get you hung up on them. Just my $0.02, I have coil sprung truck now, so I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore...

LDowney said:

It looks like a fairly clean truck on the underside, so bolt rust may not be a major issue. The spring bushings can always be wild card. The shackles are aftermarket, so those have been disassembled/reassembled after the 60 rolled out of the factory. This leaves pivot hanger bushings as an unknown (possible original with some rust/seizing around the pin).

Nothing new ... just work that will allow the party last longer.

The previous owner, I believe, was the one who had the extended shackles installed. He didn't go wheeling often, and never did the crazy stuff. Mostly just dirt roads, so hopefully they will be alright to re use. The IM shackles look excellently made, but are expensive.

I will look into a new cut off wheel, as I don't think ours has been used since my grandpa was alive?

We have an acetylene torch, so I'm trying to get it in working order, but it too is in pretty rough shape. Would a normal handheld blowtorch be as effective as an acetylene torch? I have that, and it's in great shape :D

I'll continue the pb blasting every few days up until the install. I want to try and make this as simple as possible so my mom can't tell me "I told you so" hahaha.

AuburnFJsexy said:
Thats brings up a good point on the U bolt nuts getting drug across rocks. A good investment (if you plan on wheeling your truck) would be a U bolt flip kit so those bolts aren't your lowest point on the truck and get you hung up on them. Just my $0.02, I have coil sprung truck now, so I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore...

I do plan on going wheeling as much as i can, so that's a great Idea. I had seen the flipped u bolts on a few cruisers and thought mine were wrong.
Is it an actual kit, or is it just something you do once you have the u bolts in hand?

If anyone has anymore suggestions like this, please don't hesitate to tell me. I'd really like to hear what you guys have done and know what works well. Thanks :)

I just ordered the lift. Hopefully, it will arrive Late next week :)

My wife and I did the Ironman lift on a BJ73 today. Hard work but only a 2 banana job. The parts were labelled with parts numbers so we had to search the internet to ensure we knew where to put each piece.
i.e. what spring went front to back, which shackle front or back. Again, it was easy but man am I tired out.
Lift came from ACC.

Thanks Brian!

If you get a timeline on this I can help out. I live close to Nana's I suspect (also in Alpharetta/Woodstock area).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom