Input Shaft Bearing - Shop recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a H55 with 30k miles that decided to eat an Input Shaft Bearing this week...incredibly irritating

Given that situation, does anyone recommend a place to change the bearing in the Boston area? I'm in Franklin (close to Gillette stadium) but I commute for work

Looking for a place that won't scalp me and does good work. I've thought about bringing it to Toyota Wellesley but I'm not sure if the price would be through the roof to do it.

You can Try R&D in Billerica. He does good work not sure if he will take the job or he is familiar with a 55 but he does good work on new stuff. I see a ton of old cars in the shop that he works on. Ask for Ricky, he is the owner and will give you a straight answer. 978-670-5222.

Junior at Poor Wally's in Vermont. They know Cruisers there.

Splangy is correct, the clutch gear/input gear doesn't have a relief like other transmissions so you need to drop the counter shaft. On higher mileage transmissions the counter shaft bearings can be difficult to remove and often get damaged. Depending on how long you ran it with a damaged bearing, the main shaft pilot bearings may also be bad and need to be replaced.
Is this the original transmission for the truck or a replacement? If original I would say your pilot bearing is suspect as well. If a replacement then I would guess rust was the cause of failure, unless it was run low on oil. These units are quite stout and last many thousands of miles, I'm suspicious of such a premature failure.
In short, don't cheap out on this you need to replace all the bearings!

If you can get it to Southern VT I'd be happy to do it for you, and won't ask for your first born either.

Junior

Splangy is correct, the clutch gear/input gear doesn't have a relief like other transmissions so you need to drop the counter shaft. On higher mileage transmissions the counter shaft bearings can be difficult to remove and often get damaged. Depending on how long you ran it with a damaged bearing, the main shaft pilot bearings may also be bad and need to be replaced.
Is this the original transmission for the truck or a replacement? If original I would say your pilot bearing is suspect as well. If a replacement then I would guess rust was the cause of failure, unless it was run low on oil. These units are quite stout and last many thousands of miles, I'm suspicious of such a premature failure.
In short, don't cheap out on this you need to replace all the bearings!

If you can get it to Southern VT I'd be happy to do it for you, and won't ask for your first born either.

Junior

So far as I know it's a replacement H55 purchased directly from Toyota. I have the original invoice from April 2012. The Votec Swap only has 30k miles on the transmission....so this failure is very suspicious indeed

When I checked the oil prior, it was about an inch below the fill hole, so it wasn't dry by any means

I have a local transmission shop inspecting it today as it's a job i need done ASAP for work. As it is now, he's going to give me a call this afternoon and I let him know if it was beyond him I'd gladly pay him for his work and take it elsewhere, which would definitely be you @fourlow&go

Still leaves me perplexed as to why the transmission is giving me issues to begin with. I haven't even wheeled this truck, its been daily driven to Boston and back for those 30k miles

Hmm, Vortec swap. We've had some issues with Advanced Adapter pilot bearing adapters in the past. We always fit the trans without the clutch and flywheel now so we can check engagement before final install. I would highly suggest you do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom