I need a new carburetor for my rebuilt F engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi folks! I recently finished a full rebuild of my original 5/73 F engine. It was running very badly, and leaking so much oil that I was paying as much (or more) for oil than I was gas. Not fun.

Long story short, it doesn't feel like it has any more power than it did before. I believe that my crummy weber carb is bottlenecking power. It idles funny when cold, the choke gets stuck, it runs really lean most of the time, and it wants to die during hard acceleration.

I could probably learn carbs and tune it to run a little better, but I think it needs a whole new deal. I don't really know much about them in the first place, but I'd like to stray away from webers. Does anybody know a good performance carburetor, or something that is a good replacement to the stock one? I private-messaged @Trollhole because I heard he could help, but he hasn't responded.

If anyone can recommend me a quality, compatible carburetor, that would be fantastic; otherwise I would love to be referred to someone who can help. Thank you! :D

your probably going to need more than just the carb, you may also need the air cleaner assembly and throttle linkage/cable depending on what the PO did with the stock setup.

Marks off road is who I'd go to, if he doesn't have a carb to rebuild for you find one and send it to him.
@65swb45

a good setup stock carb is the way to go in my opinion.

Hi folks! I recently finished a full rebuild of my original 5/73 F engine. It was running very badly, and leaking so much oil that I was paying as much (or more) for oil than I was gas. Not fun.

Long story short, it doesn't feel like it has any more power than it did before. I believe that my crummy weber carb is bottlenecking power. It idles funny when cold, the choke gets stuck, it runs really lean most of the time, and it wants to die during hard acceleration.

I could probably learn carbs and tune it to run a little better, but I think it needs a whole new deal. I don't really know much about them in the first place, but I'd like to stray away from webers. Does anybody know a good performance carburetor, or something that is a good replacement to the stock one? I private-messaged @Trollhole because I heard he could help, but he hasn't responded.

If anyone can recommend me a quality, compatible carburetor, that would be fantastic; otherwise I would love to be referred to someone who can help. Thank you! :D

This is your Carburetor & @Racer65 WWW.citlyracerllc.com is the plan

its Made in JAPAN , as close as u can get right now to a NEW OEM i have seen ............

Aftermarket 2F / 1.5F Carburetor for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 - Made in Japan

TLC_Carb_New_04_1024x1024.JPG

Probably a wise move to get a different carb for your freshly rebuilt engine. Not only will Mark’s have a dialed carb, all the brackets, linkages, air cleaner, ect. He offers support to his customers. Is your distributor good?

A carb for greater than 2,000' above sea level?

Which Weber, 32/36 or 38/38?
I don’t think you’ll find a tremendous amount of Weber recommendations here. Most will say the OEMs work better on the F/2F applications. The F series were never really a target audience for Weber, just adapted to the application. See the below thread, especially post number 3.
Weber 38 DGAS : info + settings + tuning

This is your Carburetor & @Racer65 WWW.citlyracerllc.com is the plan

its Made in JAPAN , as close as u can get right now to a NEW OEM i have seen ............

Aftermarket 2F / 1.5F Carburetor for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 - Made in Japan

9/67-9/73 used a cable for the throttle. 9/73 it switched back to a rod style linkage. That is also when the late 74 model F155 started often referred as the F1.5. would be sure this carb works with a cable. Easier to switch a a rod style to cable than cable to rod style.

Check out Tojoman on eBay. He’s the Downey guy and is the Weber guy. Pretty cool to deal with. His name might be Downey on here.
I say find and run the original, use the photos at specter to make sure you have the exact right one and get it rebuilt. My 3/72 runs like a top with quality rebuilt carb. I ran Trollhole on my 77 and it ran well too. Linkage parts for retrofit can be $$$.

Last edited:
I have bought a 2F carb from both Trollhole, and Racer 65, and an OEM rebuilt F carb for my older truck from Mark at Mark's off-road, and can report that all are quality.

The only thing I would caution is, if you are upgrading the brake circuit, I would ensure a 2F carb will fit in your F engine bay - mine did not with a dual circuit master cylinder and an added brake booster. I had to buy the rebuilt F because the new 2F just wouldn't fit.

I have a Racer 65 brand new carb that I'd love to sell you if you can use the 2F.

You can see photos of that carb here New carb - can't get RPMs down from 2500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom