I bought a 200, but I'm used to driving Tractors. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
This was a semi planned impulse purchase. I've wanted an earlier 200 series for a while, but the time was never right for us. We picked this truck up recently when our Jetta TDI died on the freeway.

I've been daily driving a very tired 60 series for the last few years.

You can find that ordeal here: Mama Bear the FJ60 this was my first land cruiser.
62: Grey Gardens FJ62 Stock wife truck. Kinda

This is a 2011 with high miles. 270,000 miles to be exact. It's a pre-facelift which is what I wanted. It's a 2 owner, lots of factory stuff done....and it's just been driven properly and kept stock.

I was inducted into the group by the radiator cracking on the day I picked it up. It was likely an older factory model, maybe a few years old. I epoxied the tank and drove it home with no more leaks.

After a week of driving it with a JB weld patch that I was rather proud of, I swapped to the new style of OEM radiator. I wish I would have had the parts on hand to do the whole cooling system, but I didn't. So I settled on a coolant exchange and a bleed.

It's also leaking from the inner valley pan in the Vee. Fun stuff, but this truck has a lot of the same joy to work on vibes that my early trucks have.

This isn't as much of a build and modify it thread as it is "Keep it running and not leaking". Lots of mileage and wear related fixes coming up. This is the newest car my wife and I have ever had. It drives amazingly and sounds like a brand new truck to us. No squeaks, rattles or major faults. I love it.

IMG_5130.JPG

DIfferences between the two radiators. I was very proud of my patch job. It didn't leak again.

IMG_4917.JPG

D86AD077-62F0-435C-9EAC-B0E08343E255.jpg

Think of it as just a faster tractor:cool:

Think of it as just a faster tractor:cool:
I would say "with heated seats" but it seems like that stuff is making its way into tractors too these days

Oil change to 5w30. I spilled so much oil from it coming out with some speed that I’ll be sure and get the JB Rowlett one next time.

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5284.jpeg

I could have got a lower mileage one, but it wouldn’t be any fun.

The wife is happy. I can deal with this.

There appears to be a substantial amount of debris in that oil filter housing. Hopefully you got all that gunk out. I bet the dealer just left all that in there over the years to accumulate.

Three rinses with de greaser and it was like new.

I couldn’t let that stuff stay.

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5280.jpeg

The KDSS screws were rusted. They just beat us up.

That’s all. More later.

Very lucky.

I would strongly suggest spraying it down weekly til you're ready. They use 5mm hex sockets, and in this instance they had never been moved. I should buy a powerball ticket tonight.

We broke off two 5mm hex bits inside the head, both came out with a magnet and did not strip the bolt. A lot of heat and constant pressure on the bolt with slight bumps caused both bolts to come loose. Very nerve racking.

90F6BAA6-75DF-4127-9A21-115100ED0903.jpg

29ADD325-1A1E-4FD3-872E-610D2F069E60.jpg

IMG_5994.JPG

IMG_5987.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

All I wanted was a subtle lift and I got it. I’m happy.

I found out in the process that my pull to the right was caused by an alignment issue from the PO or mechanic in the past stripping out the drivers TRE assembly.

My steering wheel is crooked now, VCS light is on due to the steering angle sensor being turned at its home position and I have LH and RH TRE's plus, inner rack TRE's with a boot kit on the way. Lots of money, but if I want this to align right it has to be done.

Last edited:
All I wanted was a subtle lift and I got it. I’m happy.
My car is really perfect now. I don't need to do anything. But like you I ordered the OEM spacer as well. Blah hopefully I can tackle it without any issues.

Do you have any photos of the hex kdds thing you are talking about that I should spray? Mine is bone stock like yours - and have never been touched.

Funny to see your 60s in the background. My house looks the same, blue, 2 tone and a white.

Very comprehensive.

My car is really perfect now. I don't need to do anything. But like you I ordered the OEM spacer as well. Blah hopefully I can tackle it without any issues.

Do you have any photos of the hex kdds thing you are talking about that I should spray? Mine is bone stock like yours - and have never been touched.

Funny to see your 60s in the background. My house looks the same, blue, 2 tone and a white.

The fun never ends here.

IMG_5949.jpeg

I had a field job in San Francisco. So I just started driving in the wife’s car. She encouraged it.

I’ve lost count of the fill ups. This thing is a beast. Such a good road trip truck and handles the curves well. It’s getting great MPG and has had zero issues. Just hit 276,000 miles.

I just wish I hadn’t bought black. I like how it looks, but there’s no definition for photos.

IMG_6360.jpeg

IMG_6645.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

I had a field job in San Francisco. So I just started driving in the wife’s car. She encouraged it.

I’ve lost count of the fill ups. This thing is a beast. Such a good road trip truck and handles the curves well. It’s getting great MPG and has had zero issues. Just hit 276,000 miles.

I just wish I hadn’t bought black. I like how it looks, but there’s no definition for photos.

View attachment 3473310

View attachment 3473311

View attachment 3473312
you are neck and neck with me in miles

i hate my gray too. LC should be white

oh well - poor people dont have choices

be safe. I am on 2500 mile trip with mine in portland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom