How to help: Reinstall transfer case shifter (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the clutch replaced at the dealer :rolleyes: I know... and the tech did not replace the transfer case shifter correctly. It's moves about 1" side-to-side and will not move forward at all. It's stuck at the rear of the shift pattern (like it's in 4-Hi). I checked the FSM and it just says reinstall it. Any help? pics of how it should look when reinstalling it? Thanks.

Oh it's an 85 4Runner.

just unbolt it, 4 bolts on top of it. Take it out and stick it in the right place. You cant go wrong! Takes a few minutes at most!

x2, been there.

Get a jack. Place jack under x member, jack up. Un-do the 8, 17mm's that hold x member. Let jack down slow. Remove TC shifter. Should be a short movement, up and over though, like you're going to put it in 2H. Place two if the TC shifter bolts in place, check for freedom of movement. If yer good, install the 2 bolts and go. If not, use a small skrew driver to line the shift rails correctly; Re-install in reverse order.

HOLY CRAP you guys are doing this the hard way!

The shifter is held in with a simple circlip type thingy. No wrenches required to remove it, just a pair of needle-nosed pliers. VERY EASY. No removing of crossmembers, no jacks, nothing.

Take the console off, then the rubber boot off (6 sheet metal screws). Pull up the small rubber grommet at the base of the shifter, you'll see 2 little "tangs" on the circlip. Pinch them with pliers, lift the shifter straight up. Re-insert.

Geebus...

Thanks! I know it says explains this in the FSM but not too the same level of explanation. :beer:

When you get the thing open there will be the two forks that the shifter fits into. My guess is the shifter was installed into the wrong "hole." The easiest way to get you installed is get the two holes lined up with each so they make one big hole. You can use a big screwdriver to move them around (move them towards the front). This will be 4H. Drop your shifter into this big hole and button her up. If you need pics I have a TC out and can take some in the morning.

I'd take it back to the morons that screwed it up in the first place and make them fix it.

Did you read what I wrote in post #4? There is no place or need for the Permatex. The shifter has a ball formed in it, what you are doing is popping it out of the socket. Then, like Pappy said, look at the position of the shift rails, you can lever them into the correst position with a screwdriver. Then pop the shifter back in (snap the circlip back into it's groove), put the rubber "booty" over it, then the interior work.

You guys are making this WAAAAY too hard...

Did you read what I wrote in post #4? There is no place or need for the Permatex. The shifter has a ball formed in it, what you are doing is popping it out of the socket. Then, like Pappy said, look at the position of the shift rails, you can lever them into the correst position with a screwdriver. Then pop the shifter back in (snap the circlip back into it's groove), put the rubber "booty" over it, then the interior work.

Time for pics boyz.

This pic shows the clip that needs to be removed. You DO NOT need to remove the four bolts that hold down the housing. I just happen to have a shifter on the bench. Pinch together to remove.

TC Shifter 003.jpg

The bits will sort of explode because of a spring underneath. This is what the shifter will look like once you remove it.

TC Shifter 010.jpg

Next, line up the shift forks with a big screwdriver. It should look like this. Notice that the forks are lined up. Move them toward the front of the truck, not the rear.

rightway.jpg

It should NOT look like this.

wrongway1.jpg

Or this.

wrongway2.jpg

When you are done it can be a challenge getting that clip back on. I get half of the clip on one side, then press down on the other either with my fingers or a screwdriver and the clip will snap back in.

Like KLF has said, you are making this way too difficult.

Last edited:

got'cha

pics no worky....

OK wait now they do

Awesome thanks!

Thanks again for the help on this. Fixed it last Sunday and it works!

Again, say thankee-sai. Thankya big big.

helllllp i need these pics? shifter all haywire spring flopping around - i really wish toyota forums would preserve pics through the years!

Time for pics boyz.

This pics shows the clip that needs to be removed. You DO NOT need to remove the four bolts that hold down the housing. I just happen to have a shifter on the bench.

pappy-albums-transfer-case-shifter-picture3383-tcshifter2.jpg

The bits will sort of explode because of a spring underneath. This is what the shifter will look like once you remove it.

pappy-albums-transfer-case-shifter-picture3387-tcshifter10.jpg

Next, line up the shift forks with a big screwdriver. It should look like this. Notice that the forks are lined up. Move them toward the front of the truck, not the rear.

pappy-albums-transfer-case-shifter-picture3384-tcshifter6.jpg

It should NOT look like this.

pappy-albums-transfer-case-shifter-picture3388-tcshifter7.jpg

Or this.

pappy-albums-transfer-case-shifter-picture3386-tcshifter8.jpg

When you are done it can be a challenge getting that clip back on. I get half of the clip on one side, then press down on the other either with my fingers or a screwdriver and the clip will snap back in.

Like KLF has said, you are making this way too difficult.

It's not the forum that loses the pics, you can thank Photobucket.

Sorry, I don't use Photobucket. Picks are back up. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom