How to help: Reinstall transfer case shifter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow...thank you. The toyota world is a good world, ten yrs after the fact you cry and pull your hair, and an OP re-ups old pics withIN the hour. For this, i stick with toyota.

So it is this now mangled, bent spring i can't figure out, in a T100 (93), also why the whole stick tumbled out without me ever having to fool with a snap ring?? Unit would shift but stick wouldn't hold position at 4hi, and seemed about to jam. Original owner put new clutch before parking it years ago.

FSM seems to have a plan but i don't quite get it. The spring prongs fit into little holes under the plate. But then what?

spring.jpg
20180212_200922_resize_20180212_201652.jpg

... in a T100 (93)

What I posted works for the R1A gear drive transfer case behind 4 cylinder trucks. The chain drive behind the V6 is a different story, and I have no experience with those.

Wow talk about a thread revival!

Wow talk about a thread revival!
wow...thank you. The toyota world is a good world, ten yrs after the fact you cry and pull your hair, and an OP re-ups old pics withIN the hour. For this, i stick with toyota.

So it is this now mangled, bent spring i can't figure out, in a T100 (93), also why the whole stick tumbled out without me ever having to fool with a snap ring?? Unit would shift but stick wouldn't hold position at 4hi, and seemed about to jam. Original owner put new clutch before parking it years ago.

FSM seems to have a plan but i don't quite get it. The spring prongs fit into little holes under the plate. But then what?

View attachment 1632163View attachment 1632164
So if you look at the end of the shaft where it sits next to that spring is it the side that is milled up the most or least it seems like it fits better on the side that's milled the higher can anyone confirm

Another thread revival. My son's truck is a 1980 with dual cases (both with 2.28 gears) and stock shifters. Occasionally the rear case will get stuck in Neutral when shifting out of 4wd. Shifter will not move at all. Axle hubs are unlocked. Front case in H range. This isn't the typical drivetrain binding that can happen where putting the truck in reverse for a few feet or moving forward a few feet will release the binding and the shifter will move. This has happened with the truck on jackstands with no drivetrain load.
Is there something about the shift lever or the shifter seat that can fix this. It's like the shift rails in the case get bound up. We've been able to fix it temporarily by removing the top plate (or just the shift lever) and using a screw driver to move the shift rails, then reinstall the shift lever. It will work for a time then get locked up again.

Any help would be appreciated. Would a twin stick solve this?

Another thread revival. My son's truck is a 1980 with dual cases (both with 2.28 gears) and stock shifters. Occasionally the rear case will get stuck in Neutral when shifting out of 4wd. Shifter will not move at all. Axle hubs are unlocked. Front case in H range. This isn't the typical drivetrain binding that can happen where putting the truck in reverse for a few feet or moving forward a few feet will release the binding and the shifter will move. This has happened with the truck on jackstands with no drivetrain load.
Is there something about the shift lever or the shifter seat that can fix this. It's like the shift rails in the case get bound up. We've been able to fix it temporarily by removing the top plate (or just the shift lever) and using a screw driver to move the shift rails, then reinstall the shift lever. It will work for a time then get locked up again.

Any help would be appreciated. Would a twin stick solve this?
Mine does the same thing and as I understand it this means that whoever put the doubler together didn’t trim the shift rails properly or at all. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at this but I believe the shift rails in the rear case need to be trimmed about half an inch or maybe a little more. Hopefully someone who has done it recently or knows the process better than me will chime in.

There's not much going on with the shifter itself. Its basically a ball socket located by a through pin.
I would assume if it waz indeed a shifter issue, it would show up uninstalled as well.
It might be worthwhile to pull the interlock pill (required for twin stick anyway)
I suppose you could have a bearing dying that is allowing the gear hub to fall out of alignment.

Here's a snip from marlin. Iirc you don't have to trim if your rear case is 79-83.
You should be able to easily reproduce the issue with the the front case in low.

Screenshot_20220103-150312.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom