Horn/radio won’t work and my signal fuse blows everytime I signal to the right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so it started with me driving and my signal stopped working. I checked my fuse and it’s blown and shortly after my radio no longer works and neither does my horn. I replaced the turn signal fuse and everytime I signal to the right it blows the fuse ! I’m certain I’ll need to look under the dash but im wondering if anyone has any ideas ?

Have you considered the benefits of left turns?

When you replace the fuse does the horn and radio work without blowing the fuse?

Have you considered the benefits of left turns?

When you replace the fuse does the horn and radio work without blowing the fuse?

I tried that that but it wasn’t fixing it something may be grounded somewhere the radio and horn both didn’t work after a new turning fuse.

Left turns may have to be the new thing....

So to clarify: you put a new fuse in and with the new fuse the radio and horn still don’t work?

I’d go after the horn first. Pull the steering wheel and check the pin contact. This commonly wears down and looses contact. You can still get the new oem pin.

Pull the radio out. Some have their own fuse in the back. Then on a bench supply power and ground to the radio and make sure it turns on. If radio checks out then check the radio connectors for power and ground.

Quickest check on turn signal is swap another switch in and see if fuse still pops. Likely you don’t have another switch. So you can disconnect the switch and do a continuity check to the pins and make sure when the right position is activated that you have connection through the proper pins.

Last thing could be first. You can do a quick harness wire inspection. Look for chafed wired and disconnected leads.

The hazards and horn circuit are on the same fuse. Turn signal is a different circuit. Possibly your turn signal wire has melded with the hazard wire and is shorting? What happens when you turn on your hazard switch? Does the turn signal also affect the hazard switch?
hazard wire.png

Which fuse is blowing? In this schematic colored in red is a green w/orange stripe wire that runs from the positive side of the horns circuit downstream of the horn fuse over to the hazard/turn signal switch to provide a hot wire to the hazard switch so in an emergency and w/out ignition power the hazard lights will still work. You should inspect your turn signal and hazard wire running up the column. Then if you can't find it pull the wheel off and then take off the turn signal/headlight/hazard switch and inspect the wires.

The contacts on the hazard switch are on top of the clam shell and the contacts for the turn signal are to the side ...so they should not be touching each other. But the wires do run together. Also they may be very close inside the plug at the bottom of your steering column under the dash. You should unplug this connection and inspect it for melting or bent pins. (edit) connection pictured here on the left side.
turn signal switch.JPG

Also look under the hood at the front right under the battery tray and inspect the wiring harness to see if the turn signal wire is contacting the horn wire. Unlikely but who knows? Have you done any work in the vehicle in any of these areas recently were you may have accidentally smashed the wires? What work have you done on the truck recently before this change?

Last edited:
The hazards and horn circuit are on the same fuse. Turn signal is a different circuit. Possibly your turn signal wire has melded with the hazard wire and is shorting? What happens when you turn on your hazard switch? Does the turn signal also affect the hazard switch?View attachment 2022042

Which fuse is blowing? In this schematic colored in red is a green w/orange stripe wire that runs from the positive side of the horns circuit downstream of the horn fuse over to the hazard/turn signal switch to provide a hot wire to the hazard switch so in an emergency and w/out ignition power the hazard lights will still work. You should inspect your turn signal and hazard wire running up the column. Then if you can't find it pull the wheel off and then take off the turn signal/headlight/hazard switch and inspect the wires.

The one that blows everytime I signal right is the 7.5 turn signal fuse just above the Turn Signal and Hazard SW in the drawing. Thanks a ton i got some stuff to inspect for sure this is still perplexing on the count of my radio is also not working and it all basically went out all at once. Also I should add the fuse stays in tact for my signals as long as I only signal to the LEFT.

Last edited:
Also look under the hood at the front right under the battery tray and inspect the wiring harness to see if the turn signal wire is contacting the horn wire. Unlikely but who knows? Have you done any work in the vehicle in any of these areas recently were you may have accidentally smashed the wires? What work have you done on the truck recently before this change?

I just installed rear Wagon Gear panels so I thought it was maybe something on the wiring harness. Inside my rear panels I had to remove both vertical supports and relocate my evap assembly in the back right further back.

84ACE81B-B082-412C-A8CF-D397062C1F4C.jpeg

25EB35F9-046C-4497-B0A8-6197F7B28115.jpeg

67AE1B7F-F47B-40EF-B7F5-21E1714F66EF.jpeg

The one that blows every time I signal right is the 7.5 turn signal fuse just above the Turn Signal and Hazard SW in the drawing. Thanks a ton i got some stuff to inspect for sure this is still perplexing on the count of my radio is also not working and it all basically went out all at once. Also I should add the fuse stays in tact for my signals as long as I only signal to the LEFT.

i Possible likely Culprit , pull Your Front and Rear Turn Signal Lamps , Look at All the sockets both inside and exterior of the lamp fro corrosion , For Good Measure Replace all the Bulbs , Don't even think twice , just replace them

this way you have eliminated any potential issued there , also inspect All related accessible wiring for shorts to ground

Re-Assemble EVERYTHING your are doing with Di-Electric grease both inside and out , use Fully Synthetic Marine Grade

only , availble at your local West Marine or other Boat Store

since the lamps and sockets are exposed to weather , this is a Low Cost Diagnoses place to start

good luck

@cruisermatt had some electrical gremlins that were related to the turn signals and I believe he found the problem at the rear of the truck. I believe where the wiring runs along the frame or at a junction. Maybe he will add some insight.

If I recall there is a large blue connector driver's side rear that can get corroded. Believe it resides in the rear of the quarter panel down low.

I’ll dig that up once I get home thanks I’m itching to get onto more troubleshooting but I’m out with the family

Do you have a trailer light harness? If so, one of this wires could be shorting out when you hit the turn signal

Do you have a trailer light harness? If so, one of this wires could be shorting out when you hit the turn signal
I do and actually it was jammed under my Toyota wrench roll in the left rear quarter panel, but I just pulled it out and laid the harness out and it once again shorted my new fuse after I tried signaling

The contacts on the hazard switch are on top of the clam shell and the contacts for the turn signal are to the side ...so they should not be touching each other. But the wires do run together. Also they may be very close inside the plug at the bottom of your steering column under the dash. You should unplug this connection and inspect it for melting or bent pins. (edit) connection pictured here on the left side.
View attachment 2022045
I really think this is in the right track I replaced the horn/hazard fuse and the radio alone with the horn were fixed but the only thing now has to be something along this harness or at the switch you sent a photo of has a short I don’t see any bare wire but I’m trying to get the connector removed so I can maybe test for resistance at each wire and see if it’s there if not it would be farther down the line I’d assume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom