Hidden storage for an overlanding build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plus criminals will know to rip up the carpet and check for hidden boxes in the cab if they are going to the trouble to rob you with a gun.
^ not true, if you rob with a gun, it's a quick in an out usually.

The last time i drove south of the border was in the early 1980's, but as they say times have changed. One of the big issues I'd be worried about, would be when you cross the border from one country to the next. With all the concerns now a days with drugs, money, and weapons trafficking, I'm not sure what the government officials will think about your hidden compartment. Are you planing on telling the border agents about your hidden compartment when you get to the border, or are you just going to let them find it on their own? Unfortunately i think this is going to open you up to a lot of unwanted government attention no matter if you declare it or not. So just to be safe I'd plan accordingly, I'd have the phone number of each US Embassy, for every country you plan to visit, plus a local attorneys number already on speed dial.

Another vote for removing the rear heater. It provides a ton a room and can easily be made stealth. Round boat hatch cover in the side panels can give you semi stealth access to lot of area also.

I would also contact @yjeff he and Monica recently return from about an 8 month trek all in SA.

Plenty of people are down there right now in all sorts of different vehicles with all kinds of toys and they are doing just fine. The ATM system is the safest, since there are daily withdrawl limits. Even if they get my card and pin, I just have to call my bank to secure my account. worse they could do in damage is $500

So many people try to talk me out of this trip like I'm going on a drive through Afghanistan.

You would be safer driving thru most parts of Afghanistan.

Why not just snap off the piece of carpet, and un screw the 2 screws holding the access cover on the tailgate? That way you can put your trash in there, put 2 screws back, and snap carpet back on.... about 30 seconds at most. You go adding all this James Bond secret compartments and they find 1.... guess what? They are going to rip your complete rig apart looking for secret spot #2! NEVER underestimate the intelligence of your enemy! You end up in a black, rubber bag.

Spare Tire.jpg
Shotgun Rack.jpg

Under the air Filter there is a catch can that is easily accessible and you already have it.
Put your smuggle in ziploc to keep it clean & dry?

Tape cash to underside of Fuse Box in Engine Compartment?

Underseat Storage.jpg

After @Hornd pic of the cocaine spare another thought strikes - if you do make some James Bond / Jesus Malverde -stuff, you better just show the friendly fellows at the border if it's too crazy.

If you don't they may choose to slow you down coming back into the States, esp @ the Juarez crossing.

If the HDJ has the same 'tuna can' as the FZJ on the air cleaner, I'd use it of the air cleaner. Maybe swap the wingnut for a nylocker & carry the wrench - call that your nod to "super secret squirrel" hiding.

Beyond that, make the exterior blend in with the locals & just have fun.

Keep a paper list of who all you can call if bad ju-ju happens, beyond that pretty much just go see the place.

And.... not to be a downer, just "blunt" and to the point.
Do you REALLY think the gangs that are snatching, and stripping these vehicles DONT know all the above hiding spots? It's all well and good, but when your slammed onto your hood, and a 45 is pressed against your nose, do you REALLY give a sh*% about your airplane and cameras? I'm guessing NO. Like mentioned earlier, secure your passport (to include a "dummy" carried on you) someplace strong, and if somebody tries to rob you........ let them have the s***! You can replace the toys, you cannot replace yourself or your wife/passenger!
99% sure it won't come to this! Just go, and have the experience of a lifetime, and take a million pics! Cannot wait to see them...... ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

If I were going to toss a vehicle I would definitely check tailgate, bottom of console, behind glove box, under seats, all seams around carpet and headliner. Those are all easily accessible and wouldn't take much time. Forget about your drone, it will be too big for feasible concealment. Spare cash and passports, I'd go with under the hood. On a gasser I would gut the charcoal canister and make a removable top for it. A ziplock bag in the air cleaner area would be super easy also. Ziplock bag under the battery would also be easy to do and easily overlooked. Supposedly the NSA has a simple rule on concealment of valuables. The more time and effort it takes for you to access the hide, the less likely it is to be found.

I second the spare passport you can afford to lose, and the ziplock under the battery.

Will you carry a 2nd cell phone? During the day, use a cheap $20 very basic candybar phone that uses the local cell carrier, then at night use your smart phone. I had a bright red one that was clearly so small it would never be mistaken as an iPhone.

For passports and cash, (in a ziplock) would it fit between the sunroof glass and the interior sliding sunroof cover (the part that's the same color as the headliner)?
Would it fit between the factory seat cover and the seat foam?
Would it fit in the headrest without being too noticeable?
Would the gangs/robbers pull open the seat belt retractor column covers on the b-pillar?

For the drone, be prepared to let it go. If you wanted to get spend some time on it, you could make some fake inner wheel wells (from the bottom - not noticeable from inside the vehicle or under the hood) to hold it.

99.99% sure it won't come to this! Just go, and have the experience of a lifetime, and take a million pics! Cannot wait to see them...... ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

FIFY ;)

Interior3506.jpg

I've recently spent over one year and 45,000+ miles in Central & South American countries, I was never robbed, nor ever paid a bribe. First, I believe you are over thinking it and generally you will be safe almost everywhere, that said, there are parts of Phoenix I would NOT hang out in with a $3000 camera, drone, and yelling out my ATM pin. Every robbery I have heard of 1st hand in Latin countries ( not 3rd hand) is when you walk away from the car for 2 min, and somebody is in-out in under a minute, they just grab whatever is visible and open. You are most likely not going to be car jacked while in the car. Every tourist in Argentina has thousands of dollars on them, since ATM access is prohibitively expensive. You are going to stand out as a tourist no matter what.

My best advice for Latin America is to:
  • Never pay Bribes or offer them
  • NEVER carry a gun (but have a pocket knife, it's also more useful) - my wife had a stun gun that looked like a flashlight
  • NEVER hand your passport to anyone when not at immigration at borders, the police that pull you over do not need to see it.
  • Be friendly, give a smile, learn a joke in spanish, etc
  • Look people in the eye, if after you are friendly and they continue to stare aggressively, MOVE ON
  • Don't drive at night (although I did almost weekly)
  • Keep a small backup ID, copy of passport, credit card, and some US or Euros hidden somewhere hard to access in the car
  • Have a Fake Wallet (separate from the backup above) with an ID, old debit cards, and under $25 USD EASILY ACCESSIBLE in the glovebox
  • Lock cameras, passports, gopros in a Tuffybox.
  • Backup photos to the cloud or fedex home SD cards as you go.
  • If you can't afford to lose it, don't bring it. (Drones aren't allowed in certain countries like Nicaragua IIRC)
  • If you care more about your possessions, pay parking attendants to watch your car before you go into a place (they are everywhere). Alternatively, leave someone in the car when you are shopping in large cities.
  • Most Importantly, DON'T BE AN UGLY AMERICAN, treat the locals with respect
CORRECTION: I was robbed once, but at Long Beach Harbor by US Customs Officials

Last edited:
You would be safer driving thru most parts of Afghanistan.
Umm I wasn't Aware South America had got
THAT bad. This is the first I've heard of it. Last time I recall, driving down a road in Afghanistan meant certain IED attack and ambush or just IED. Unless you were captured in an Ambush which meant torture and beheading. But not a lot of that happened.

View attachment 1425422

I've recently spent over one year and 45,000+ miles in Central & South American countries, I was never robbed, nor ever paid a bribe. First, I believe you are over thinking it and generally you will be safe almost everywhere, that said, there are parts of Phoenix I would NOT hang out in with a $3000 camera, drone, and yelling out my ATM pin. Every robbery I have heard of 1st hand in Latin countries ( not 3rd hand) is when you walk away from the car for 2 min, and somebody is in-out in under a minute, they just grab whatever is visible and open. You are most likely not going to be car jacked while in the car. Every tourist in Argentina has thousands of dollars on them, since ATM access is prohibitively expensive. You are going to stand out as a tourist no matter what.

My best advice for Latin America is to:
  • Never pay Bribes or offer them
  • NEVER carry a gun (but have a pocket knife, it's also more useful) - my wife had a stun gun that looked like a flashlight
  • NEVER hand your passport to anyone when not at immigration at borders, the police that pull you over do not need to see it.
  • Be friendly, give a smile, learn a joke in spanish, etc
  • Look people in the eye, if after you are friendly and they continue to stare aggressively, MOVE ON
  • Don't drive at night (although I did almost weekly)
  • Keep a small backup ID, copy of passport, credit card, and some US or Euros hidden somewhere hard to access in the car
  • Have a Fake Wallet (separate from the backup above) with an ID, old debit cards, and under $25 USD EASILY ACCESSIBLE in the glovebox
  • Lock cameras, passports, gopros in a Tuffybox.
  • Backup photos to the cloud or fedex home SD cards as you go.
  • If you can't afford to lose it, don't bring it. (Drones aren't allowed in certain countries like Nicaragua IIRC)
  • If you care more about your possessions, pay parking attendants to watch your car before you go into a place (they are everywhere). Alternatively, leave someone in the car when you are shopping in large cities.
  • Most Importantly, DON'T BE AN UGLY AMERICAN, treat the locals with respect
CORRECTION: I was robbed once, but at Long Beach Harbor by US Customs Officials

This is all great info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this all out. I am envious of the time you were able to take on your trip, we'll be doing a 2 month trip, shipping into Columbia and out of Paraguay. I'd love to do longer but with our careers and commitments this is the best we can do right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom