Help: AT OIL TEMP ISSUE - LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it were my truck I'd personally drain and fill the pan again correctly. We need to remember that yes, it was at a dealership...but they could have given the job to a rookie there that simply didnt do it right. For all you know, someone there could have looked at trans fluid capacity in their service manual and filled her up and crossed it off their list. They could have also removed the excess plug too early/too late which messed up the levels as well. The fluid needs to be filled up, then run to warm up and there is a small window of time to drain the excess fluid correctly.

Hopefully they gave you some sort of warranty if that process doesnt solve the problem.
The dealer tech recorded 275*F and then sent him on his way, which is ludicrous!

Reactions: MJK
The dealer tech recorded 275*F and then sent him on his way, which is ludicrous!

^^^^^

Exactly right. Unbelievable.

Surely they understand that a 275°F fluid temp is WAY above normal operating temperatures.

IF recorded on their scanner....should then be verified with an IR gun at the oil pan. Then if verified...an investigation into WHY?

Right away...the system should be checked for restrictions or blockage.
If that reveals nothing and no codes are present... then suspect an internal issue with the trans or torque converter.
At the very least....advise the owner of their findings and refer to a professional transmission shop.

But Pete's sake....don't send them on their way!

If that had happened to me.....I'd be about 2 miles up someone's arse with a power tool, getting this straightened out.

I agree.

This stinks of 'something sounds wrong, what is the minimum we can do to get this thing out of here and make it his problem"

Update: So after 8 days at the highly recommended transmission shop, no news at all.

They never called to give me updates. I called them every two days. They only drove it twice and for 15 mins each, not enough to repeat the issue. No codes came up for them. They said it shifts great and it’s okay if it operates in the 185-low 200s range and said they have no idea why it gets so high. They were not willing to check on any of the recommendations in this thread even though that’s exactly what they said they’d do 4-5x.

Unfortunately I had to take the car back after I found it sitting in a lot down the street, unattended. Pretty unbelievable.

Square one for me. I will update once I find another transmission shop.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

UPDATE: Dropped the LX at Lexus Carlsbad (since I should be able to get this compensated from the original Henderson dealer) and they discovered that this kinked transmission line upon first inspection. More news to come once it it replaced early next week. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼.

QUESTION: Do you guys think I should have them replace the transmission oil and filter one more time since it had gotten so hot those few times recently? Not sure if this will be free, but I want what’s best for the tranny.

Thanks again so much everyone!

C679FF94-5952-4EE0-B982-41F98F02ED66.jpeg

Yes, at minimum get new fluid. Filter, not so much.

Interesting, that transmission cooler line bracket is upside down. Got to wonder why someone had it off. Any history or sign(s) of front end damage.

C679FF94-5952-4EE0-B982-41F98F02ED66.jpeg

Wow thanks for the great reply @2001LC !

There are no obvious signs of front end damage but it does make me wonder why it was ever touched in first place. 🤔 I’ll bring both of those items up, thanks again fir sharing. Is that a fan shroud you are referring to? Really appreciate this.

Wow thanks for the great reply @2001LC !

There are no obvious signs of front end damage but it does make me wonder why it was ever touched in first place. 🤔 I’ll bring both of those items up, thanks again fir sharing. Is that a fan shroud you are referring to? Really appreciate this.
Yes fan shroud appears busted. But hard to see in pictures.

Hey everyone -

Conclusion: The pinched cooling line was the issue. After fixing this, AT Oil Temp is running perfectly. So far I can't get it above 162, which was doing a hard fast climb up winding mountain hills on a hot day. Daily driving is like 120-135/140 depending on the conditions. I will continue to test and monitor with my scangauge II + laser temp scanner.

Lexus of Carlsbad identified and fixed the issue right away. Big props to them.

Lexus of Henderson, I am still waiting on the various types of reimbursements they promised. Buyer beware. I'll be pushing again soon.

Also, FYI: I had my LX inspected by San Diego Trux (they do a ton of 100 series work). They are great. They did a few preventative fixes and said the truck is in particularly great shape.

Feeling good about the road ahead.

All of your replies were super helpful, thanks again. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom