Hello world (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sl33p3

still waking up...
Threads
well hello everyone, Marc and Onur have both suggested i should quit lurking and introduce myself before my quest for my rig is complete... soo bowing to their better judgement...

My name is John, i'm and enginerd at SNL (that's how i know Marc). I had always wanted to build up a FJ40 for almost as long as i can remember (and yes that is long before last week, just don't ask me what i had for breakfast yesterday). But with a 9mo son and wife and dogs, it seems an 80 is a better fit for me now. It will be a "third vehicle/family trail rig/ displaced camping/ get me in and out of trouble/ have some fun and not sweat the dents that come with it" type of rig. i'm not looking for the mint condition mall cruiser (don't want to pay for it and don't care). i'm after something that can get me and my fam out and back and live to be scratched another day, most preferable factory FR/RR locked. So that's my current plot, some other friends pointed me at 'MUD and the pull on my wallet has never been greater (yes my wife appreciates that too :eek::rolleyes::p <dripping with sarcasm emote>). i currently have a prospect back in my hometown, carson city, NV. A 93, locked, ready for durabac since the paint is trashed, pre-pinstriped, 184k mi, maintained, solid trail rig candidate a friend of mine's brother might sell to the right person for the right price. i've been looking locally (NM AZ CO NV TX) etc for the last month or two and haven't found anything better in my range ~>5k range... but i continue to look. i have searched, researched, lurked, dug, and read till i hurt, but still undecided that i need to pay for '95+ years and the goodies i get with it (but i'm sure someone wiser here can set me straight :lol:). i plan to spin wrenches myself and would love to put a 4bt in it someday... blah blah well enough of my ramblings i'm sure noone here wants to hear about my inner LC torment :D:lol::lol::lol:.

So hello again, looking forward to crashing a meeting and maybe a cruise if there are some open seats sometime (and i can't just :steer: my own). best regards to everyone!
:cheers:
john

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by. Best of luck finding an 80, but your STI isn't bad either.

thanks mojo!

I love the sti (wanted one since 04), but trust me it's a batch to dig out of 12" of snow...:doh::D

Welcome to the madness!!
The best advice I can offer you is to be patient, my quest for an 80 took me over 6 months.
Keep looking at the usual places, Mud, Craigslist and so on, they pop up frequently.
Good luck in your search!

Daisy

BTW, you are welcome to ride with me on a run if you want. There is always room on our runs.

thanks mojo!

I love the sti (wanted one since 04), but trust me it's a batch to dig out of 12" of snow...:doh::D

How would you know? We haven't had that much snow in a LONG time. Shoot, I haven't even bothered to put the plow on the Dodge for the past 3 years. :flipoff2:

Welcome!

i plan to spin wrenches myself and would love to put a 4bt in it someday...

No you don't. I'll save you some time: 1HD-T (of some sort, preferably FT). Toyota diesels are the sweetest thing ever (yes, I have eaten Tiramisu).

You're welcome to ride with me in the little truck if you ever want to get out on a run as well, or come on up if you want to see some wrenching.

Like I said: welcome! Keep us posted on the search.

Dan

How would you know? We haven't had that much snow in a LONG time. Shoot, I haven't even bothered to put the plow on the Dodge for the past 3 years. :flipoff2:

haha well you are kinda right i guess. i did dig out my wrx a year or two ago on that big storm after going out to see what it would do (my tundra thought it was dry, the wrx thought it's tires weren't tall enough to touch the ground), and 7500' helps in general, i had 6" yesterday.

Welcome!

No you don't. I'll save you some time: 1HD-T (of some sort, preferably FT). Toyota diesels are the sweetest thing ever (yes, I have eaten Tiramisu).

You're welcome to ride with me in the little truck if you ever want to get out on a run as well, or come on up if you want to see some wrenching.

Like I said: welcome! Keep us posted on the search.

Dan

will do and thanks for the offer (and you too daisy). if i had known about the run tomorrow i'd have jumped but it's too short of notice to work my begging magic on the executive office now :D ;)

i have heard the cummins are a "little" loud :rolleyes: suppose what i really meant to say was "diesel", isuzu or mt T would be ok with me. and i have grown fond of turbos for some silly reason. but a trd SC on the FZE might be a much less effort reasonable compromise...:meh: i gotta find an 80 first... :clap:

i have heard the cummins are a "little" loud :rolleyes: suppose what i really meant to say was "diesel", isuzu or mt T would be ok with me. and i have grown fond of turbos for some silly reason. but a trd SC on the FZE might be a much less effort reasonable compromise...:meh: i gotta find an 80 first... :clap:

Turbo is to Diesel as Key is to Lock.

I'm seriously thinking of cutting the muffler off of the faux-lux, just to get the full sound of the turbo whine. The 500 miles I drove it with just the dump pipe were some off the coolest sounds I've heard from any truck--ever.

Get the 80 (or 60, or 75...). Then worry about finding a diesel for it--right Ash?

Dan

... my quest for an 80 took me over 6 months.

Daisy

BTW, you are welcome to ride with me on a run if you want. There is always room on our runs.

All that time, I thought you were learning how to read :flipoff2:

John,

Welcome! There is a great group of guys here! A lot of knowledge and camaraderie with these guys. I also usually have an open seat when I make a run (usually solo). FYI though, I may need a back up if Daisy doesn't think my comment was funny.

FYI though, I may need a back up if Daisy doesn't think my comment was funny.

John might be big enough to give you backup against Daisy. Good thing Daisy's a nice guy.

I say wait on the 40. SWMBO will appreciate the room in an 80 much more, especially since you have a kid. mine almost hates my 40 for that reason. :crybaby:

once she likes cruisers, then work on a 40. :grinpimp:

FRESH MEAT!

Good Gawd boys, where are your manners? John, welcome to our little slice of MUD!

:flipoff2::flipoff2: <- official greeting!

I have an FJ40 if you ever want to ride along in a REAL Land Cruiser.

In case you haven't heard ... 80's are for sissies and old men

I say wait on the 40. SWMBO will appreciate the room in an 80 much more, especially since you have a kid. mine almost hates my 40 for that reason. :crybaby:

once she likes cruisers, then work on a 40. :grinpimp:

such sage words of wisdom... i would NEVER resort to the ol "bait and switch", well "bait and add" really :rolleyes::p:lol::D muwahahaaaa, <pinky to corner of mouth, ala dr evil style>

i haven't ruled out the possibility of a 40, just biding my time. Kid and i could use a project by then i'd bet (if he turns out like me, poor guy :D.) have to just see what the 80 evolves into, but it would be reaaaaly hard to give up my pavement hotwheels, i'm going to need bigger garage already i can tell.

as for backups well i'll bring the :beer::beer::beer: for when you are done and tired out, and i'll make sure nooone gets hurt too bad, at least nothing more :beer::beer::beer: can't fix. :lol::lol:

i'd love to tag along if i can swing it sometime soon, i'll try to keep up here for when you all plan another fun run, marc can keep me honest. well at least in terms of knowing about a run. ;)

-john

and thanks pappy.

Last edited:
Get the 80 (or 60, or 75...). Then worry about finding a diesel for it--right Ash?

Dan

Welcome to the madness John :flipoff2:

I agree with Diesel Dan, get the 80 first then do diesel (yeah right, with a 9 mo, you got your hands full :D)

I'm in your neck of the woods (Gutierrez canyon)so feel free to stop by this weekend if you'd like and we can BS.

Bring the STI as my SVX will love the company.

Cheers.

Welcome to the madness John :flipoff2:

I agree with Diesel Dan, get the 80 first then do diesel (yeah right, with a 9 mo, you got your hands full :D)

I'm in your neck of the woods (Gutierrez canyon)so feel free to stop by this weekend if you'd like and we can BS.

Bring the STI as my SVX will love the company.

Cheers.

hi Ali! sounds good, i'll try and get away for a bit this weekend, maybe early this afternoon? I'm out 337 S right before pine flats.

svx, cool, old school subi "muscle" :lol:

Glad you finally showed up John and good luck on the 80 series hunt.

And I too agree--get an 80 and then get a 40 once the :princess: likes the whole Land Cruiser cult thing....

I think you are going to fit in just fine here, with liking diesels, 40s, 80s, and Subarus. Daisy is dead on about waiting. I waited 5 years for my 40.

I think you are going to fit in just fine here, with liking diesels, 40s, 80s, and Subarus. Daisy is dead on about waiting. I waited 5 years for my 40.

well thanks for the vote of confidence mojo! i think our commonality is, toys are FUN! :D

i spent the afternoon at the Ali garage... that jerk is good at making my wallet want to jump out of my pocket and blow it's brains out... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: i had a good time and i hope to get whatever 80 i end up turns out as well thought out and functional as his. oh yeah, looking badass doesn't hurt :D

so i'll ask a naive question, what made all you guys wait so long to pull the trigger on the starter vehicle (if you did)? were you after something specific? miles? rust? color? year? PO record? something i haven't even thought of? i think e-lockers are really the only thing i have on the must have list for my 80 so far. i'm not interested in sc's or all that bent about obdii for the cost it takes to get (read model year), i'd like something with a reasonable PM record and i can have fun with and not worry about getting stranded...

thanks for the welcome everyone. let the adventure begin, oh yeah then i get to make into what i want... then go :steer: the piss out of it...

-john