@@@ - Harrop E-Locker on a 460 (LC Prado Kakadu trim) - https://cruiserbrothers.com/harrop-elockers/ - (1 Viewer)

Do you plan to install front/rear locker(s) on your 460?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
lexusgxor.com

I’m going down the road of installing a rear Harrop in my 460. I ordered from Georg@CruiserBrothers last weekend. It should get here next week.

I do have some good leads already from GXOR-WA but the challenge is finding an installer as most either won’t install a Harrop on a 120/150 series or only do ARB. This is in Western Washington.

I am going to use a 100 series rear diff switch and I do not plan to regear at this time.

This is 80 series switch but going to pick up the wire splices and male connector for my 100 series switch.
Male Connector: Toyota 90980-10631 $4
Wire Splices (x3): Toyota 82998-12170 (165mm long)
upload_2016-9-6_20-50-13-png.1318061

IMG_3151.jpg

Anyone else here in forum running a Harrop on a 460 or a 5th Gen 4R for that matter?

Other than changing my diff fluid and knowing the basic functions of a rear diff..not my expertise to install this myself.

I plan to do all the basic wiring and switch as that looks fairly simple and feel comfortable with that.

••A question I have and hope someone can answer is what other hardware will the installer need assuming they have the basic tools for this job?

Would it be wise to pick up a kit like this?

Looks like the differential gasket or is this an area where they would seal back up with RTV? Saw some debate on a 200 thread about cork, gasket, versus RTV.

I see this FIPG mentioned here - 00295-01281

Or is less needed if you don’t plan to regear?

A good time to replace the wheel bearings as well or a requirement with this kind of work?

Wheel bearings seem to be in perfect shape but usually replaced when the axles are removed?

What part of this install am I missing on the hardware installation side?

Admittedly not knowledgeable much at all in this area and appreciate any feedback good or bad.

Installation Instructions
https://lexusgxor.com/_media/general:harrop_installation.pdf

A couple other threads here:
Harrop Eaton ELockerTM / Yotalockers.com: Info / Installation - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/harrop-eaton-elockertm-yotalockers-com-info-installation.849313/

Oh yes I did! Harrop/Eaton E-Locker thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oh-yes-i-did-harrop-eaton-e-locker-thread.899689/

•• FYI: I've added a few placeholder posts to reserve space at front of thread.

Regards
Acrad

1_d5cd4195a2505c5fa5de51f6b2c7414ce253bf82.jpeg
2_a895d44419063c3003d397e4cbee49a4d03ce09e.jpeg
3_fb48a36d13c8ae2fe396f56a1214266dbcc82062.jpeg

GXOR Member Experience with rear Harrop on 460

Last edited:
Have you considered getting a pre-built rear 3rd member and front axle from East Coast Gear and Supply?

I intend to eventually install a set of Harrops in my GX (deciding if it is pre-lift or post-lift). The complete 3rd members/axles would be an easy, bolt-in install, avoid having to set the gear lash, come with a 5-year warranty, and would also allow you to re-gear if needed.

Still trying to decide between air or electric lockers myself.

Rednexus: Trying to keep it simple for now.. who knows in the future

Tex68W: I think the allure for me is the reported durability, low maintenance, and simplicity. I think for "my" use case it will be perfect.

Yea I have heard of issues with both, I have also owned both and neither seemed really any better than the other in actual use, at least in my experience. The air lockers were faster to engage, that I do recall. I like that I already have the compressor for the ARB's and they are cheaper (if you already have the compressor), slightly stronger and faster to engage. I like the idea of only needing power to rely on for your locker and that's where the Eaton/Harrop shines. It's hard to go wrong either way.

Talked with a previous owner of a GX460 with 285/75's and 4.88's with Eaton lockers and he agreed that it ran a little high at highway speeds. I'am leaning towards ARB's and 4.56's.

Last edited:
On the Harrop re-gearing I was going off it being optional. I may have to re-think this project if that is a requirement.

77.png

Thanks for supporting us as a business and for the message. I’m trying to do did not have time to read through this entire thread but I will post a short list of items you will definitely want to have on hand when installing any E-locker be it a Harrop or Eaton ( virtually the same thing ).

1) E-locker
2) Electrical components are included in the kit, but as the OP mentioned, you can utilize an OEM switch and the matching connector and pig tails.
3) Either a diff rebuild kit or a pair of carrier bearings
4) Tube of OEM FIPG
And of course a number of tools, some gear oil and shop supplies.
mot wouldn’t hurt to change axle seals and o-rings depending on the age of the vehicle, but typically, these should be changed out no matter what.
Hope that helps.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Georg,

If I am just on stock tires and want to stay with stock gearing is it a requirement to regear with the installation of the Harrop? It was mentioned above that was a requirement.

Thanks!

Shouldn't need to regear for stock tire size.

Still trying to decide between air or electric lockers myself.
First, decide what tire size you will stick with for your end game. Then figure out what gearing you want to go with to bring your diff's back to a close stock ratio. And I do strongly suggest re-gearing your diff's once the've been cracked open for lockers.
After you've figured all that out, then find the locker that checks all those boxes: has the correct rear and/or front lockers for our GX's AND correct gearing.
Check reviews and then pull the trigger (not the finger).

Yea that's what I am doing and why I am leaning towards ARB. 4.56's are where I want to be for a regear with 285/75's.

Shouldn't need to regear for stock tire size.

Thanks!! Roark@CB said the same thing. He said if I was going to do fronts then I would be required to do a regear but rears didn't matter in my scenario staying stock sizes.

Talked with a previous owner of a GX460 with 285/75's and 4.88's with Eaton lockers and he agreed that it ran a little high at highway speeds. I'am leaning towards ARB's and 4.56's.
Do you know what the RPM was on the high way

I want 4.88 and I have the same size tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom