Oh yes I did! Harrop/Eaton E-Locker thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Whelp...I did it! After a couple years of trying to figure out the best configuration for adding traction to my unlocked 1994 80 series, I settled with a Lokka in the rear and just ordered a Harrop/Eaton for the front.

I tried a couple of times (maybe 3) to score a locked front axle off various vehicles, but for a variety of reasons could not make it happen. Then I started to think "why the hell am I swapping out a perfectly good low mileage and well cared for axle for something of unknown condition"?

This led me to the ARB vs TJM vs Eaton debate and the simplicity (no air line...no compressors) and stellar reviews of the Eaton left me with only one choice and one problem.

The problem was that although I contacted every stateside distributor I could find, their prices were so high...I couldn't justify them over the TJM/ARB, but still didn't want a friggin air compressor in my rig. In short, I contacted a friend from AUS who scooped one up for me and with the US to AUD currency conversion in my favor, it ended up being roughly the same price as the air lockers.

Here's a pic of the rear Lokka and will be adding the Eaton upon arrival. It will then promptly be heading to ZUK for installation! Hopefully @NLXTACY is down to start making some of his fancy connectors for the Eaton/Harrop units!

3X locked 80...here I come! :clap:

DSC_2499_zpsacgjsyj7.jpg

Last edited:
It's here! About 8 days delivery time from Australia!
DSC_2572_zpshfvtae0u.jpg

Last edited:
Whelp...I did it! After a couple years of trying to figure out the best configuration for adding traction to my unlocked 1994 80 series, I settled with a Lokka in the rear and just ordered a Harrop/Eaton for the front. I'm unofficially calling this setup "downunda locked" because I had to source both units from OZ.

I tried a couple of times (maybe 3) to score a locked front axle off various vehicles, but for a variety of reasons could not make it happen. Then I started to think "why the hell am I swapping out a perfectly good low mileage and well cared for axle for something of unknown condition"?

This led me to the ARB vs TJM vs Eaton debate and the simplicity (no air line...no compressors) and stellar reviews of the Eaton left me with only one choice and one problem.

The problem was that although I contacted every stateside distributor I could find, their prices were so high...I couldn't justify them over the TJM/ARB, but still didn't want a friggin air compressor in my rig. In short, I contacted a friend from AUS who scooped one up for me and with the US to AUD currency conversion in my favor, it ended up being roughly the same price as the air lockers.

Here's a pic of the rear Lokka and will be adding the Eaton upon arrival. It will then promptly be heading to ZUK for installation! Hopefully @NLXTACY is down to start making some of his fancy connectors for the Eaton/Harrop units!

DSC_2499_zpsacgjsyj7.jpg

Yeah dude! I'd love to take a look at it and see what I can do for the wiring.

Will you have to "grind" or "notch" the housing to fit the harrop e-locker in a non-locked axel housing?

Will you have to "grind" or "notch" the housing to fit the harrop e-locker in a non-locked axel housing?

Nope...It's my understanding that these are direct fit for unlocked front diffs (no grinding or notching as would be required for swapping OE elockers).

Nope...It's my understanding that these are direct fit for unlocked front diffs (no grinding or notching as would be required for swapping OE elockers).
:cool: not that it matters to me, but was curious. I think you will love that set up.

(I'll tell Joey to put away the grinder now).

Whelp...I did it! After a couple years of trying to figure out the best configuration for adding traction to my unlocked 1994 80 series, I settled with a Lokka in the rear and just ordered a Harrop/Eaton for the front. I'm unofficially calling this setup "downunda locked" because I had to source both units from OZ.

DSC_2499_zpsacgjsyj7.jpg

And you didn't even ask if we wanted one!!!!

I put a Harrop E-Locker in the front of my 100 just in time for Turf-n-Surf at Pismo in early November.

Super happy with the simplicity of the install and ease of operation.

The next issue of Toyota Owner Magazine should have a write up about it.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Can-Am-Cruisers

A local buddy has a pair of these in his 80, and they're great. They lock and unlock faster than my factory lockers, and he's had zero problems with them in the four months he's had them. They dropped right in without any grinding or clearanceing involved. He bought them from stateside dealer in Washington state I believe, and the price was the same as what a pair of arb's with a compressor would have cost.

A local buddy has a pair of these in his 80, and they're great. They lock and unlock faster than my factory lockers, and he's had zero problems with them in the four months he's had them. They dropped right in without any grinding or clearanceing involved. He bought them from a stateside dealer in Washington state I believe, and the price was the same as what a pair of arb's with a compressor would have cost.

So what is the advantage of the Lokka over the Aussy Locker?

No advantage other than price. They are "nearly" identical, but of course the Aussi vendor on here will try and convince you otherwise. ;)

And you didn't even ask if we wanted one!!!!

My bad...I hit the "purchase button" after a long night of texts, emails, bourbon and exchange rate calculations and more bourbon! :meh:

As far as airing up goes, I also just installed a Powertank system in the 100. Love their new removable mount design.
I've had one of their systems in my buggy for years .....

We are now authorized dealers for Powertank also.

Here's a pic.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

At the risk sounding like I know what I am talking about....

The problem was that although I contacted every stateside distributor I could find, their prices were so high...

PRICING - Georg and I are (AFIK) the only authorized importer/wholesaler for these things in North America, via our firm (Can Am Cruisers) based in Washington with warehouse in California. We only sell wholesale to authorized resellers and installing shops. So, we are likely the source of the prices noted. We try to price at wholesale so we don't lose money and so guys like Onur can put Ramen in the bowl. We also have them on the shelf on this continent and provide local service, support and accountability if the wrong item gets shipped or if the owner/shop needs help with install issues.

We also use our venal profits to support the "Cruiser Brotherhood" - organizations, publications, clubs and events with sponsorship dollars and gear. Glad you got a Harrop, regret we couldn't make it happen for you. :)

Will you have to "grind" or "notch" the housing to fit the Harrop e-locker in a non-locked axel housing?

INSTALL - The only rigs that require grinding on the housing are some of the high ratio Taco/4Runners. Cruisers, no problem.

Looking forward to know your experience with Eaton locker ..

GENERAL INFO - Not an Eaton, but a Harrop, who licensed some intellectual property / design issues from Eaton. These are made in Australia and use some parts from Eaton, but definitely not the same thing.

Other info can be found at our vendor link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/harrop-elocker-general-info-installation-thread.849313/page-3

Wherever you source them, please feel free to share your experience and thanks :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom