Harrop Eaton ELockerTM / Yotalockers.com: Info / Installation

Discussion in 'Drivetrain - Suspension' started by wardharris, Apr 3, 2015.

1. wardharris

wardharris Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    NOW THAT THESE BEAUTIES ARE LANDING IN NORTH AMERICA........

upload_2015-4-3_11-10-45.png upload_2015-4-3_11-12-40.png

It has been suggested that we set up a thread (or series of threads) on the Harrops as installed and in use by any/all Harrop owners. We could try and post up in each of the series forums, but there are installation issues that are common across the different lines of Land Cruiser, so it seemed to make sense to have a common "go-to" location for owners, installers and fans.

In the spirit of the holiday, we are starting the thread and then taking the weekend off, ;)

(more to follow).... HAPPY EASTER and PASSOVER FROM CAN-AM CRUISERS!!!

upload_2015-4-3_11-7-41.png

Attached Files:

89GASHOG and beno like this.
  2. Chris Wilcox

Chris Wilcox

Media:
    Albums:
    Please post a description and models this fits.

3. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    NO AIRLINES, NO COMPRESSOR, JUST TRACTION.
    The Harrop ELocker is manufactured in Melbourne using forged gears from Eaton in America. As a unique differential locking system, the ELocker utilises an electromagnetic locking system with 4 pinions that performs as an open differential until the driver manually engages with a switch. The patented technology used offers a simple ‘drop in’ fitting process and allows the front and rear axles to lock independently. See for fitment guide and humorous video http://www.terraintamer.com/en/4wd-products/elocker.

More to follow, thanks for your interest in the topic!!

Also Youtube

DOM335 and onedaatmc like this.
  4. Chris Wilcox

Chris Wilcox

Media:
    Albums:
    I gather this is essentially an Eaton Elocker adapted to the cruiser. How I wish this was available 5 yrs ago when I decided to retrofit oem lockers to my 80 and 40. I sunk many dollars into that retrofit and recall looking at the elocker catalog at the time thinking that they were probably the best available based on knowledge of the company in general and the applications they were originally designed for.

5. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Chris -
    Sorry they were not available or in the North American market at that time. The old Eaton product and the Harrop ELocker are related but different.

Let me qualify my response as "I think this is true" but the following has been gleaned from multiple sources and the scribe (me) is questionable.....

As I understand it, Eaton agreed to build front e-lockers for Toyota for sale under the TRD label. Also, Harrop Engineering was brought in to help adapt/enhance the Eaton product for that use (Taco/Hilux, FJC and 4Runner/Surf). At some point, TRD ended the offer of the product. However it happened, Harrop decided to continue offering Eaton-based lockers and licensed the design and name and did a deal to buy pinion gears/etc. from Eaton. Harrop designed a new locker based on Eaton pinions (four, not two) and a new Harrop actuator assembly. The Harrop ELocker has been in production for over five years and seems to be a premium product (durable, "normal" install, no oil leak issues, no reported warranty issues) in the Australian market at a premium price - not the cheapest out there, as you can get a Zip air locker from Marlin for a heck of a lot less. No comment on quality or relative merits, just saying that the Harrop is not cheap.

As Harrop specializes in street and track performance bits, the ELocker is a bit of a secondary focus. Distribution is through Terrain Tamer and TT is their largest distributor worldwide. Harrop had developed this product for their home market, so if you see the fitment guide at http://www.terraintamer.com/en/4wd-products/elocker, Toyota,Nissan, Mitsubishi, Great Wall, etc. are the vehicles supported. A few Jeeps and Rovers as well.

We can import any of the listed units on that site and have stocked the more popular for the MUD community - 40-60-70-80 and 100 Series. Adding 200s next while keeping as many on the shelf as possible.

That said, this thread is intended to be a tech/user "clubhouse" vs. marketing/sales thread (even though in Vendor section). Happy to answer questions about availability/price/etc. when appropriate, but we will not turn this into a commercial.

coldwiz and beno like this.
  6. Chris Wilcox

Chris Wilcox

Media:
    Albums:
    Please, if possible, notify buyers of this thread so that they can post their tech. I like lockers and if mine break this seems to have merit as a possible replacement. Of course, for me, that depends in part on track record. Hopefully this thread will form that track record. Thanks again.

7. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, Chris. We are doing just that as orders are fulfilled. There are Harrops in use in Australia and elsewhere, as well as those in North America that were imported directly or not sold by Can Am. We are happy to have ANY Harrop owners posting here, not just our customers. Our goal is a home for shared experiences and insights, not a sales pitch.

8. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    HARROP ELOCKER OPERATING AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Here is the instruction booklet for the ELocker in PDF format.

harup.png

The file is too big to upload to Mud, so to view, print or download the PDF click here.

The first installations have gone well, taking about six hours each - much the same as other selectable diffs. Both Georg and I are installing our own - one in the back of my BJ73 and Georg is putting one in the front of his rear-locked Hundy. The plan is to video one of the installs and put it up here via YouTube.

If you happen to read the install info above, we would appreciate your questions, comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Teebo and ewillis like this.
  9. hamishpotter

hamishpotter SILVER Star

10. ewillis

ewillis

The 80 series will be your top selling application...no doubt. Would love to see an install video and feedback on an 80. Sub'd and still highly interested.

11. orangefj45

orangefj45 Supporting Vendor

I will be installing a Harrop locker in the front of my 100-series very soon to compliment the factory rear elocker. Pics will be taken to document the install.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

vipergrhd, arcteryx and beno like this.
  12. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    COMMENTS ON HOW / WHERE TO BUY

For clarification, the Harrop ELockers are available in North America through Can Am (with Terrain Tamer as our supplier). There are other Harrops out there that were not sold by us and there may in the future be other sellers in North America. We do not have an exclusive and the more the merrier - including folks that buy them in Australia and ship to North America.

We started Can Am to support Cruiser / Yota repair shops (and their customers) with good quality parts and service kits. The Harrops are a secondary focus for us. We do not plan to replicate the distribution practices of other vendors, with multiple direct-sale outlets that do not support installation and service.

The gear we sell should be installed by those with professional skills so we have focused upon "installer sales" vs. Amazon/EBay style online stores without robust tech support for installs.

Our only direct efforts were some early offers to end users when we were getting the business and product launched - before we had resellers - or were coordinated with local shops for install.

Our goal is good information, good gear and happy Cruiser owners supported by competent shops. Good luck with your decisions, purchases and installs - wherever the transaction is sourced!

PS Please share and post what you learn and how they work for you.

:cheers:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Stumpalama, elkaholic and arcteryx like this.
  13. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

So, hypothetically, if one were to switch from an air locker to this e-locker, can the original hole in the diff be used? As in is the collar wiring long enough to reach the air line hole?

Skrewball likes this.
  14. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    Two answers:

1) I don't know where tha ARB hole goes vs. ELocker, but the install PDF should give you some guidance. Will ask Torfab to weigh in, as a veteran installer of both units. I will also reach out to Australia as this a common replacement, as I understand.

2) ELocker harness probably long enough, but can be extended with a splice.

Stumpalama likes this.
  15. Blue77FJ40

Blue77FJ40 SILVER Star

Aside from having a electromagnetical activation vs a motor, how does the Harrop differ from Toyota's elocker. I see pin engagement vs collar engagement, but what are the strengths vs weaknesses of each?

Thanks, Dan

16. wardharris

Media:
    Albums:
    As I am not a technical guy, I will let the experts opine on relative merits, but the primary difference from the OEM unit as I understand it is the interior actuator as part of the assembly. No external motor or linkage to get hung up, other than the signal wire.

17. orangefj45

If you look in the pic on the first post you'll notice that the wiring for the Harrop passes thru the case of the third member in virtually the identical location as the airline for the ARB unit. And more importantly, unlike the ARB, the wiring dies not have to pass across the ring gear like the latest generation of the ARBs. This has proven to be a design flaw of the ARB RD142 and RD153 since the airline has to cross the ring gear in a very confined space and I've had to fix a few of these since the copper air pipe can and will get chewed up by the ring gear. This type of failure requires the removal of the third member from the vehicle. Lots of work .......... with the Harrop you won't have that problem.

Georg
    Valley Hybrids & Can Am Cruisers

Mogwai, arcteryx and Stumpalama like this.
  18. orangefj45

Hey Dan.
    Obviously the Harrop utilizes an electric clutch instead of an actuator motor and shift fork. So there are a lot fewer moving parts as well as a single electric component. That translates to less chance of failure and much simpler trouble shooting should there ever be an issue. The Harrop also does not have any components that are mounted externally on the axle housing where they're vulnerable to impact and damage unlike the factory e-lockers.
    Please see my reply above in post #17 regarding other advantages of the Harrop.
    Georg
    Valley Hybrids & Can Am Cruisers

19. Blue77FJ40

Blue77FJ40 SILVER Star

Georg,

Then you'd probably be interested in seeing my huge poor line pick: https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/cracked2-jpg.89326/ and https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cracked-rear-locker-housing-help.106909/#post-1345962

I had a super hard time finding a replacement actuator, and had IPOR make a bodacious skid plate to avoid any future damage.

So is there still a position indicator that shows a locked state? I have the stock one going to an led light on my dash to show locked. All this is good news as I understand toyota elockers are no longer available?

Thanks, Dan

20. ewillis

ewillis

Anyone purchase and install one of these elockers yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.