H55F - FJ40 Specific Top Plate... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone ever tried reverse engineering and reproducing the infamously rare H55F top plate meant for (non-US) FJ40's? I thought I heard for someone working on a CAD model, but can't seem to find it now.

I'm equipped with the skill set / experience and am considering undertaking the challenge. Can you all chime in and let me know your thoughts, maybe point me to existing threads I've missed?

Thanks!

Calvin

There was a guy on FB doing it, could have been lack of funding or interest that caused him to stop or sell what he had done so far.

Screenshot_2016-11-18-07-51-37.png

I'm motivated to solve this challenge. I reached out to the author of that thread, I'll see if I can continue forward where he left off.

Id be willing to help! As my company is starting to mfg application specific units, designing and reverse engineering gear boxes in Solidworks is all Ive been doing for the last year.

Id be willing to help! As my company is starting to mfg application specific units, designing and reverse engineering gear boxes in Solidworks is all Ive been doing for the last year.

Excellent, good to know. I'm trying to get a feel for 1) how he approached/accomplished the scan-to-solid model conversion and 2) how "complete" he feels the project is. I'll keep you posted!

You should understand that the top plate only resolves 1/2 of the issue for 40's that were not setup for splitcases. You still have to deal with a T case shifter in the different position.

You should understand that the top plate only resolves 1/2 of the issue for 40's that were not setup for splitcases. You still have to deal with a T case shifter in the different position.

Good to know. Baby steps!

All I know is that these "rare" top plates are going for prices that I consider highway robbery. Between my professional experience and connections with casting/foundry centers we should be able to produce a damn fine replicate for considerably less cash. That's my hope, at least.

After you master the top plate you will need to build the correct internal mechanism. A couple of them are slightly different from the 60 version and will require some engineering.

In addition to the height of the H55 top cover; they are significantly taller than the H41/42 top covers of that era. The 40 series vehicles that were originally outfitted with H55 transmission have a tub/tunnel area that is molded differently to accommodate the height difference in the H55 top cover.

After you master the top plate you will need to build the correct internal mechanism. A couple of them are slightly different from the 60 version and will require some engineering.

Engineering... I can do that! This is all great info, keep it coming.

In addition to the height of the H55 top cover; they are significantly taller than the H41/42 top covers of that era. The 40 series vehicles that were originally outfitted with H55 transmission have a tub/tunnel area that is molded differently to accommodate the height difference in the H55 top cover.

Never figured out if the tunnel was taller, On a 6/84 troop carrier from Australia the floor on the tunnel didn't seem any higher then the floor under the front seats. I heard it was wider and the inspection cover was taller. While this troop carrier had a H41 everything I've found searching is 10/82 a lot if things changed but was the same on all models, four or five speed. I have that inspection cover and besides being taller the shape is different which supports there were changes to the tunnel. Wider, taller or both.:meh: Both boots were different as well. I've been on the hunt for a 4X series top plate for the H55F for a long time and been doing homework on everything involved. Don't giving the transfer case shift lever forward shouldn't be anywhere near as hard as finding the top plate.:bang:

I have one in use and will be taking the truck off of the road for a bit in a year or so. I could let you use mine as a model to begin replicating new replacements

Didn't someone just recently sell a nib top plate and volunteered it up to be used for modeling and remanufacturing?

Yes. Roma sold one to a fellow mudder. But I don't remember his name. It might have been @Indygbd ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom